Chinese -- how to communicate 'tune-up' to mechanic

[quote=“Jose Miller”]Guys, stop making assumptions. I don’t think its fair to categorized any form of behaviours into foreign or non-foreign.

In fact, 保養 (bao yang) is the word you are looking for.[/quote]Thanks for the info, Jose. I was being a little tongue in cheek when I characterised “tune-up” as a “foreign cultural concept”. On the other hand, I think that all of the Vroom, vroom regulars, most of whom have far more experience of riding and maintaining motor vehicles here than I have, would agree with this statement of mine;[quote=“joesax”]Sad to say, a lot of bikes are ridden until they have a problem, whereupon they are taken to a mechanic who does the minimum necessary to get the bike running again.[/quote]The majority of foreign scooterists I know here also treat their bikes in this way – rk1951’s post above is a case in point. Also see this thread;
[Why do people ride falling apart bikes...?

You will certainly get some service when you ask for “baoyang”, but the question is will it cover all the points that need attention? There are a myriad different things that could be included – carb cleaning, balancing, spark plug cleaning or replacement (thanks for the translations Miranda) steering and wheel bearings, brake fluid, cable lubrication or replacement, pads and shoes, valve clearances, oil filter, air filter cleaning/replacement, tyre pressures/replacement, transmission oil change, chain cleaning and adjustment and any other stuff that needs to be done up to major part replacement such as shocks, starter motor or whatever.

You can either ask for all this stuff specifically or you can go to a trusted mechanic and ask him/her to check over everything.

(Let’s not forget that among mechanics there are a lot of “sharks” all over the world, but that in the west their sharkery can end up costing customers a whole lot more.)