Chinese in Taiwan, how to explain democracy to them? should we? should the Taiwanese?

It doesn’t have English version, but anyway.

At least until 2002, ROC government claimed that China was Taiwan and Taiwan was China. Look at the second map from the top on the right. There was still 台灣省=Taiwan province when I came to Taiwan in 2003, because officially Taiwan was a part of China. Famous political figure James Soong (宋楚瑜) used to be Governor of Taiwan Province.

So how to patronize people that you don’t know who are in detention?

nice, keep up the good work! :wink:

(just kidding right, I should specify that is a poor attempt at humor) can you imagine if you had random cuckoos ‘explain democracy’ to you though. that would be kinda grim. lol

I mean just as a filler untill the OP meets a Chinese person, he could practice on cherry shrimp? (available at all good pet stores)

2 Likes

“Here” meaning Taiwan. I lived in China for 2 years.

I worked in a public school in China and what they get there is propaganda as in TV or Internet. They know nothing about democracy, specially not how the political parties’ system exactly works nor that the democratic countries have not the same system. Maybe you were there before the internet censorship, long time ago.

Are you telling democracy and dictatorship are equally valid? I don’t agree.

Great stuff, thanks.

How fluent is your Chinese?

I think no amount of democrasplaining to a Chinese person in Taiwan would be nearly as effective as the actual experience of democracy in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I’d much rather explain the works of Edgar Allen Poe to complete strangers.

Haven’t actually read them, but I could definitely make something up

One time out of a thousand that could result in a friend for life

1 Like

Also would probably be easier to preach the wonders of democracy in a country where politicians don’t throw pig organs at each other

Was there around 1999~2007, elementary/middle/high school. There was always censorship, all the time.

As someone who was in the system, yes they were fed heavily biased information, and taught how to “think properly”. But every individual are still capable of thinking for themselves and they were definitely told how the democratic system works in high school, of course the conclusion is that democratic system leads to eventual failure. How can China convince their citizens a system is bad without covering all the possible points of that system’s flaw?

I have not endorsed dictatorship, I dont know how to got that from my comment. Very bizarre.

I recon a system of randomly selecting law makers along the lines of jury duty selection might be interesting

Sounds like some one has a prejudice against not verbal explanations? If his Chinese isn’t great he could point and grunt, or actually create artworks that explain democracy using universal imagery? Then he could walk up to the strangers that he suspects might be Chinese and just get them to scan a code to the explanation?

They have lived their whole lives in Taiwan and still help China

:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Not a problem! I’m glad you liked it.

Guy

You could wechat your Chinese friends with snippets of democracy? I think my personal favorite is when the representatives stand on boxes and wave at the traffic. Or maybe some falun gong working out in the park. I still have no idea how that one got on the list, its like Tibet, Taiwan and… morning exercises… really?

I have to say I think its very heartening that anyone at all, let alone a national government, has rock solid opinions about jazzercize routines.

I’m sure there are communists out there who wonder how they can break through the conditioning of people living in capitalist countries to help them see the light too. There’s something about the question being asked that really disturbs me. Just let people live their lives without pushing your ideology on anyone. Be nice to them and if they’re smart, they’ll reach their own conclusions. Pushing your ideology on them will just make them cling harder to their own the way I would if a communist, or a Christian, attempted to do that to me.

3 Likes

The difference is democracy lets you live how you want. Tankies often are the ones intolerant of other styles.

2 Likes

Like Bruce almighty. Pretty good movie that one. I’ve got the power!

The king in the little prince is also a good one for considering the meaning of political power. He is actually a really good king

The peak time to proselytize democracy must be sometime before the wealthiest and most powerful democracy in the world took three months to confirm the winner of an election, with the loser refusing to accept the result and instigating an armed insurrection.

Honestly guys, all of that happened…Look it up on the interweb

4 Likes

scary stuff

Although its probably not breaking news in Afghanistan :sweat: