Chinese input on Linux

Yea, yea, stupid question of the week, and sorry to be using up bandwidth, etc. etc.

When I log on on my linux system (Fedora 2) using Chinese and try to input Chinese using pinyin using the default Chinese input software, I’m given a list of 9 characters to choose from.

I used to know how to access additional characters via a keystroke, but have managed to forget how to do that.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Probably either the right and left carets < > or the right and left arrows. That’s how it works in SCIM, anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I tried every conceivable combination to no avail. No worries. It’s just like that favorite pen I couldn’t find that was in the coat that I only wear 3 months a year in Taiwan…

Thanks for the advice. I tried every conceivable combination to no avail. No worries. It’s just like that favorite pen I couldn’t find that was in the coat that I only wear 3 months a year in Taiwan…[/quote]

I’m not sure what Fedora is using, but in Emacs (which is a Linux program that does Chinese input, among other things), ctrl-n (n for “next”) or ctrl-f (for “forward”), ctrl-p (for “previous”) or ctrl-b (for “back”).

regards,
Robert

Thanks to those of you who took the time to respond.

The problem I was having was under Fedora Core 2. I recently installed Fedora Core 3, and to access additional characters one need only hit the down arrow.

Core 2 had a lot of quirks, and this may have been one of them.

Core 3 is brilliant. Everything runs like a charm. Many, many bugs of Core 2 have been fixed.

Regards