Chinese instrument

Does anyone know of a shop or stand that sells some type of traditional chinese string instrument? Hopefully, something souveniry and not too expensive.

Thanks!

Ren-Ai Rd. across from Chiang-Kai Shek Memorial Park. Haven’t been in the store, but they have all kinds of traditional Chinese musical instruments. Good luck.

ah great! thanks alot!

I got both of my er-hus in the shop on the corner of Jinshan S. and Xinyi Road, in the building upstairs from the International Bakery where the TLI used to be. There’s a Chinese music teaching center there which also sells instruments, all price ranges.

thanks alot ironlady i sent my sister the info. I wonder if that is the place they went to when searching for music stores using citizen k’s directions. By the way, they looked all over Ren’ai Rd and did not find any music stores, but they did see one on Jinshan rd but the instruments were expensive.

If they saw it in Jinshan without going in, it was probably the one down by the intersection of Hoping E. Road, and yeah, it is expensive!

The one I bought at (assuming they’re still in business) wouldn’t be visible from the outside of the building, except maybe if they have a sign up. It’s not immediately obvious, anyway. I only found it because I was taking classes at that TLI branch one summer.

fenglin, hualien county. there is a shop that has an old guy who still makes em by hand. not flash at all. looks like something handmade because it is.

i had to carry one home in hand as it wouldn’t fit in my luggage. everyone really liked it. dude offered me $300 bucks for it in LAX. hangs on my wall as one of only two momentoes that reveals my time in taiwan.

thanks ironlady and skeptic yank, I will pass on the info.

[quote=“ratbrain”]Does anyone know of a shop or stand that sells some type of traditional Chinese string instrument? Hopefully, something souveniry and not too expensive.

Thanks![/quote]

just about any music shop in Taiwan (especially the mom and pop ones) sells some kind of chinese instrument. Especially that knee violin that you see old folks play here…

[quote=“rahimiiii”][quote=“ratbrain”]Does anyone know of a shop or stand that sells some type of traditional Chinese string instrument? Hopefully, something souveniry and not too expensive.

Thanks![/quote]

just about any music shop in Taiwan (especially the mom and pop ones) sells some kind of Chinese instrument. Especially that knee violin that you see old folks play here…[/quote]

do you have any specifc stores to recommend for the budget traveler (i.e., <1000 I guess, give or take a few hundreds.)

bump