Chinese language school

Hey! Have anyone taken language classes in Taiwan? What are your experiences with the different schools? I have been thinking about taking a summer course (or a longer one) in order to learn Chinese.

I also wonder if the application process is straight forward as an overseas Chinese. Most of the webpages I find in English is obviously directed at foreigners, and gives information about visa procedures etc… As a dual citizen, that doesn’t apply to me. (My Taiwan passport has ID number + overseas Chinese stamp).

And how about the mandatory military service? I guess that if I only take a summer class, I wouldn’t have to worry about that… But If I decide to stay for a while… I read at the national conscription agency’s webpage that: [quote]“For overseas male Chinese of conscription age, who is returning home to study, according to Section 2 Article 4 of the “Conscription Regulations for Naturalized Aliens and Returning Overseas Chinese,” amended on December 30, 2002, time spent returning home to study shall not counted as residency time for those who are eligible for suspended draft. However, after leaving school (upon a leave of absence, dropping out, or graduation), then time of residency in Taiwan shall be calculated according to law; after establishing one full year of residency, the individual shall be conscripted. In addition, to complement the government’s overseas Chinese policies, which provides counseling and guidance to those returning home to study, time spent by individuals attending preparatory classes at the National Overseas Chinese University shall not be include din the calculation of residency.”[/quote] How would they (Military Agency/Immigration agency) know I have been studying, so that that time isn’t counted? Do I have to apply somewhere in advance, or do I simply bring a transcript along when I apply for the exit permit.

Thanks!

Hello, Jezi. If you do not stay for 183 days then you do not have to worry about conscription. You also won’t need a visa.