Chinese language schools offering purely speaking/listening classes?

I would define my Chinese speaking and listening as upper-intermediate, I can have general conversations with ease, and am able to have advanced conversations about certain topics that interest me which I have specifically studied, such as politics. I have not yet learnt to read or write, and still believe I am not ready for it (I plan to wait until my speaking and listening is far more advanced). My problem now is that I believe in order to advance my speaking and listening, I need to join a regular class, which I need to do anyway in order to meet the 72-hours of Chinese language classes requirement for naturalisation. I enquired about about classes at a few schools, but since I can’t read or write, they told me I must start in their absolute beginners classes, where most of my time will be wasted studying things I learnt years ago. I have yet to find a class that focuses solely on speaking and listening, so I am open to recommendations if anyone has any. If I absolutely have to, I would also be up for completing the 72-hours of Chinese language classes by going to a reading and writing only class, but I haven’t seen any of those either. It’s worth noting that to meet the naturalisation requirement, you need to study at an approved centre, and I’m not sure which centres that excludes.

I’ve studied at TLI (Taipei Language Inst.) in Kaohsiung. I’ve dispensed with reading and writing as well. They’ve let me focus on speaking.

I should mention that I live and work in Taipei, so any school or centre would need to be here.

They’re in Taipei as well (of course)

Lol, brainfart from me. I wonder if they are considered an approved centre.

Actually, I just checked the naturalisation flow chart and the wording is sort of weird:

Proof that he/she has participated for more than 72 hours in an educational program offered by government agencies.

曾參加國內政府機關所開設之課程上課總時數或累計時數達 72 小時以上之證明。

Government agencies? Does this mean you can’t earn 72 hours studying at a university?

@tando, @yyy, you guys are usually good with this kind of legal stuff, can you offer any wisdom?

I think it is a mandarin class for new immigrants offeted by government like this one.

https://nite.taipei/Content_List.aspx?n=9DB3FE466E3ED849

I thought that too, but I can’t find any information about actual classes on their website.

Maybe mostly only available with private.
TMI,TLI,TMC,TCA, others all offer private to fit whatever your want. They might even set up or have a group of people with your same interests. They all located within walking distance of each other. Walk by all one day and have a chat.

Lots of private tutors around that will also follow your wants.

Yes, but any kind of private school definitely isn’t going to work for the naturalisation requirement.

True, anything official will need to follow official directives.

Info in Chinese

https://www.doe.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=FC6369E7D22C194E&sms=87415A8B9CE81B16&s=E337BCCB734BE9C3

I think 成人基本教育研習班 is the course.

You will advance much more quickly if you learn to read at the same time. If your speaking and listening are “upper intermediate”, the best way to progress to “advanced” is by reading.

1 Like

From the flow chart:

If we look at the “Standards for Identification of Basic Language Abilities and Common Sense of National Rights and Duties of Naturalized ROC Citizens” (“Standards for Identification of Basic Language Abilities and General Knowledge of the Rights and Duties of Naturalized R.O.C. Citizens” on the MOJ’s website), we see this:

(I read the phrase 包括國內政府機關自行、委託或補助機構、團體、學校辦理之各種課程 as meaning the school/group/organization can be subsidized or merely appointed by the government.)

1 Like