Chinese Name for baby girl

If you want the name to sound similar to Zara, you might have to consider adding an n to the first syllable, because the most girl sounding character out of the whole tsa- (ca) and tsha- (cha) combo seems to be 茬, and even that is a bit ambiguous.

Adding an n to the first syllable can get you 嫦 or 嬋.

Or you can palatalize it, and get to tsia and tshia combos

and get 捷, 婕 (in Taigi they are pronounced tsia̍p)

So you could call her 婕若 (tsia̍p-luā) or 婕如 (tsia̍p-jû) or 婕蘿 (tsia̍p-lâ)

The first two sound like normal girl names you might hear in Mandarin.

3 Likes

My suggestion is to choose names like (world) peace or contentment or even sky and sea in Chinese.

1 Like

Cute kid. Do not…repeat, do not give her a name with 拉 in it. Kids will seize on this to tease her with phrases like 拉肚子 and 拉屎. I also wouldn’t give her a unique, foreign-sounding name. If she’s going to be attending school in Taiwan, she’ll be standing out enough as it is. Depending on her personality, she’ll probably be going through stages where she just wants to blend in, and a weird name won’t help with that.

If you want to pick a name that has some connection to her English name, just choose characters that start with a z/s sound and an r/l sound. There are plenty of characters commonly used in girls names that fit the bill. Examples would be names like 淑如, 淑蓉, 素玲. 淑汝, 姿伶.

2 Likes

Please don’t! These are so called 「菜市場名」。They are clichéd and old-fashioned (like grandmas’ names).

4 Likes

Another elitist… Those are nice, perfectly acceptable Taiwanese names. And there are more than plenty of young people with names like these.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Fortune teller is the way to go, they’ll give you some options after you provide basic details. Funny story my wife chose the English name and I chose the Chinese name lol. Reason was that I chose something I could properly pronounce and write without any problems. Same for the wife.

3 Likes

Sorry for the late feedback. I got caught up in work these past few weeks and had to postpone all this, until I had a chance to properly focus on it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. We really appreciate it.

I wanted to write down all the suggestions (from everyone) and somehow ended up making this template to list all the potential names.

The list is long. At some point I got a bit carried away and was just playing with different name combinations. I guess many names in this list (that I came up with) aren’t nice but that’s mainly due to my poor Chinese skills. Someone with better Chinese could use this template in a better way.

I think it’s a good template (in my opinion), so I am sharing it here, in case someone wants to use it in the future.

By the way, I used the following Chinese websites + Google Translate to come up with some of the names, their (translated) meanings and score.

FYI. We are down to 康善亞 (Kāng Shàn Yà) , 康善茹/康善如 (Kāng shàn rú). Also maybe 康婕如 (Kāng jié rú).

4 Likes

Nice system you have there.
But I would advice against names starting with Kang Shan. It gets tricky to pronounce it correctly.
It may be a foreigner accent thing, but try asking some Taiwanese friends for feedback, too. :2cents:

1 Like

I wonder the Zara shop will offer any discounts like the Salmon name promo.

1 Like