Chinese Propaganda Posters

passed to me by Huang Guang Chen

iisg.nl/~landsberger/index.html

A related site ( http://www.iisg.nl/exhibitions/chairman/ ) is interesting for a comparison of Soviet and Cuban posters

But Landsberger’s collection is by far the best for Chinese posters.

Unrelated - but still interesting links:
http://www.momao.com has great Mao pop art. As does http://www.chinesecontemporary.com/index.php . Check out Wang Guangyi for some interesting modern takes on political propaganda.

And for music to go along with your posters:

chinese-music.dsi.internet2.edu/ … l#Before49

Here’s a classic. (Determined to liberate Taiwan) I wanted to make it my avatar but it’s way too big and my time for tooling around way too little. Also haven’t sussed the coding. It’s from a mainland chat forum. Interested to know what they’re on about.

http://www.bbscity.com/gov/mil/gwjr/index.html

There’s a good book by the Australian academic, Geremie Barme, which “celebrates the myth of Mao in collected essays, poems, songs, folkloric anecdotes and photographs.” Interesting stuff. Geremie was one of the few foreign students in China in 1975.

HG

Thanks to all for the links.

I particularly liked the section about Lei Feng.

iisg.nl/~landsberger/lf.html

Xiang Lei Feng tongzhi xuexi (Learn from Comrade Lei Feng).

Fee.

I had a shirt made some years ago with a picture of the good soldier Lei on the front and that quote of Mao’s . . . in his handwriting, on the back. I used to enjoy wearing it as I swept the streets out the front of my block of flats as a joke when I first arrived but of course no one got it. Damned thing’s threadbare now. Still wear it though.

HG

This poster could prove to be the Rosetta stone of simplified characters, if archeologists millennia hence are ever faced with the challenge of decyphering Chinese.

A friend did offer the code but I didn’t have the time or the inclination to crack it. Seemed simple enough. Mind you the friend has a theory the Lao Zi is all messed up and makes no sense . . . but comparing the extant versions . . .

HG

I’ll post the decoder when I can be arsed accessing my work mail sometime tomorrow mid way through the planned mental health day.

HG

Does anyone have any links to propaganda posters from Taiwan (Determined to retake the mainland)???

Did these exist?

Does anyone have any links to propaganda posters from Taiwan (Determined to retake the mainland)???

Did these exist?[/quote]

I would love to see those.

There is a collection of political posters photographed here http://www.chefan.com/saigonposters/index.html.

[quote=“fee”]Does anyone have any links to propaganda posters from Taiwan (Determined to retake the mainland)???

Did these exist?[/quote]

No links from me… but when I arrived here in 1985, there was still plenty of “Chinese” sentimentality among folks here (at least as expressed… it may well have been fake for many people). I remember many schools had paintings of the ROC version of the map of China with the slogan below:

Tigerman.

Good point. It wasn’t that long ago that they still had the big characters up out the front of the parliament saying “There’s only one China” or some such.

HG

These are great! Keep them up!

Those are really cool posters. I like the art work and I find them humorous. But I wonder if some might feel they are comparable to this:

cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2003/ … 70-ap.html

Hong Kong company designs clothes with swastikas because it “wanted a military theme” and didn’t know some might find them offensive.

Reminds me of when I bought a propagandistic book on Ho Chi Minh in Saigon because I thought it was humorous, but when I showed it to a couple of local kids they were perplexed and didn’t know why the hell someone would buy such crap.

I don’t mean this as criticism, as I too like the posters. But I just wonder if some might feel they’re equally offensive and if so, do they have a valid point. Reminds me also of Sharky’s thread on Leni Riefenstahl. Obviously she was a great artist, but her films are nazi propaganda. Would hanging one of these posters be comparable to hanging a print from a Riefenstahl film? If so, that’s too bad because they are good looking posters.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Those are really cool posters. I like the art work and I find them humorous. But I wonder if some might feel they are comparable to this:

cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2003/ … 70-ap.html

Hong Kong company designs clothes with swastikas because it “wanted a military theme” and didn’t know some might find them offensive.

Reminds me of when I bought a propagandistic book on Ho Chi Minh in Saigon because I thought it was humorous, but when I showed it to a couple of local kids they were perplexed and didn’t know why the hell someone would buy such crap.

I don’t mean this as criticism, as I too like the posters. But I just wonder if some might feel they’re equally offensive and if so, do they have a valid point. Reminds me also of Sharky’s thread on Leni Riefenstahl. Obviously she was a great artist, but her films are nazi propaganda. Would hanging one of these posters be comparable to hanging a print from a Riefenstahl film? If so, that’s too bad because they are good looking posters.[/quote]

I think it all depends on one’s politics. Anyone care to explain how Mao’s posters could be less offensive than these:

pzg.biz/third_reich_posters.htm
earthstation1.com/German_Pro … sters.html
calvin.edu/cas/gpa/posters2.htm

No-one bats a eyelid in London about Chairman Mao tat despite his having made Adolf Hitler look like a girl guide. When Andy Warhol chose Mao’s image he must have known Mao was one of the coldest, most intelligent, and merciless murdering dictators in history.

Actual contemporary posters, however, are historical items, and serve a useful purpose to those interested in studying the history of the CCP and Chinese people during the times. For one thing, the changes to Lei Feng’s persona are an interesting comment on the changes in the CCP.

Few young people in the mainland now know (or care) about modern Chinese history. And who can blame them ? These posters are almost unobtainable in China, and I have tried. They are a part of history that the “new, upgraded” CCP should not be allowed to forget. There should be a collection of them in Taiwan - and they should be wheeled out regularly to embarrass the CCP.

went to visit taiwan government office…watched a video…blatant propaganda…anti china! haha

Now you are fully up to speed on Taiwan’s foreign policy.