Chinese students will be kicked out if they get married?

A giant leap backwards for human rights if this ruling passes. Taiwan does it to you again !! Taiwan IN YOUR HEART (the knife)
Plus they could get kicked out for other non study things like visiting a KTV or travelling around taiwan, sightseeing and all that? Yeah , just lock them in the classroom and throw away the key.

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … otests.htm

Not only inhumane, but it just doesn’t make sense. Sure, I can understand how marriage is deemed incompatible with attending college. But playing games, traveling and visiting pubs? Isn’t that the essence of what college is about?

Marriage isn’t incompatible with university study–almost everyone I know married while attending University. They just don’t want any little Chinese anchor babies.

Now hang on, which political party is in Power now… is it not the Chinese Nationalist Party?

China for the Chinese only… seems to me they are looking more and more like their [strike]sworn enemies[/strike] comrades-in-arms across the strait every day.

Playing, singing, wanderlust and marriage.

Can’t have this Chinese decadence on the island of good upstanding folks here.

Not let’s all click our heals, raise our right arm and shout: Taiwan up!
:lovestruck:

[quote=“urodacus”]Now hang on, which political party is in Power now… is it not the Chinese Nationalist Party?

China for the Chinese only… seems to me they are looking more and more like their [strike]sworn enemies[/strike] comrades-in-arms across the strait every day.[/quote]

Touche.

Check out Japan sometime. They have a huge problem with Chinese ‘students’ who work illegally, denying jobs to young Japanese and forcing wages down. There also a large number who simply never leave after their studies are over, either by marriage or plain overstaying. This sort of xenophobia is not entirely unfounded.
Mind you, given this government’s propensity to do exactly the opposite of what it says, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the blind eye is turned and all are allowed to stay.
Thankfully, very few Chinese have so far shown interest in coming here to study, so hopefully we will be spared.

R-E-T-A-R-D-E-D :loco:

[quote=“redwagon”]This sort of xenophobia is not entirely unfounded.
.[/quote]

So you won’t be singing “This land is your land” anytime soon, huh?

[quote=“redwagon”]Check out Japan sometime. They have a huge problem with Chinese ‘students’ who work illegally, denying jobs to young Japanese and forcing wages down. There also a large number who simply never leave after their studies are over, either by marriage or plain overstaying. This sort of xenophobia is not entirely unfounded.
Mind you, given this government’s propensity to do exactly the opposite of what it says, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the blind eye is turned and all are allowed to stay.
Thankfully, very few Chinese have so far shown interest in coming here to study, so hopefully we will be spared.[/quote]
Right. I can see where this comes from – the government is simply looking at the situation in Japan, the US, the UK – pretty much ANYWHERE, in fact, where Chinese go to study. Huge numbers of 'em, despite claims to the contrary by the Chinese government, simply don’t go back. If it weren’t for Chinese postgrad students who can’t face returning to life in China, there would be no waitstaff in any of Britain’s Vietnamese and Thai restaurants.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“redwagon”]Check out Japan sometime. They have a huge problem with Chinese ‘students’ who work illegally, denying jobs to young Japanese and forcing wages down. There also a large number who simply never leave after their studies are over, either by marriage or plain overstaying. This sort of xenophobia is not entirely unfounded.
Thankfully, very few Chinese have so far shown interest in coming here to study, so hopefully we will be spared.[/quote]
Right. I can see where this comes from – the government is simply looking at the situation in Japan, the US, the UK – pretty much ANYWHERE, in fact, where Chinese go to study. Huge numbers of 'em, despite claims to the contrary by the Chinese government, simply don’t go back. If it weren’t for Chinese postgrad students who can’t face returning to life in China, there would be no waitstaff in any of Britain’s Vietnamese and Thai restaurants.[/quote]Set reasonably high standards that potential students must meet. Let them come. Have faith in allure of greater freedom, a better economy, open politics. Skim the cream. How tough is that?

They might stay?? Oh, the horror! Oh my god… have you seen Vancouver lately? Jeez… :loco:

It’s true many are economic migrants. When I have tried talking to some back home they paled in front of me (probably cos they thought I was a labour inspector or something). But in Taiwan’s case that’s very unlikely as they have no work rights anyway and the DPP would be all over it like a bad rash.
Is it not against Taiwanese human rights to make such a regulation?

[quote=“headhonchoII”]It’s true many are economic migrants. When I have tried talking to some back home they paled in front of me (probably cos they thought I was a labour inspector or something). But in Taiwan’s case that’s very unlikely as they have no work rights anyway and the DPP would be all over it like a bad rash.
Is it not against Taiwanese human rights to make such a regulation?[/quote]

Wouldn’t surprise me if the whole thing is a backroom deal with the DPP, as they’ve been very critical about Chinese students coming here.

Not saying its right or wrong. I’m saying I can see where the move comes from.
They have no work rights in the UK, either, do they? Yet there they are.
They’re out of China and that’s pretty much all they care about, to the extent that they’d sooner bus tables in a Vietnamese eatery for less than minimum wage than put their MBA or whatever to work in the motherland.
Exactly what will happen here. The government (never known for its finesse) is doing its usual knee-jerk sop to the DPP. A flip-flop is par for the course and will come soon enough.
Inept politicians flapping their lips is all it is.

Correct me if I am wrong, and I think for this I am not… But in the past and probably still now Chinese students in China were expelled from university (at least undergrad students, I think might be OK for masters or Phd students).
Banning going to KTV etc seems completely different however. Maybe just a way to expel whoever they want, whenever they want…

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“redwagon”]Check out Japan sometime. They have a huge problem with Chinese ‘students’ who work illegally, denying jobs to young Japanese and forcing wages down. There also a large number who simply never leave after their studies are over, either by marriage or plain overstaying. This sort of xenophobia is not entirely unfounded.
Right. I can see where this comes from – the government is simply looking at the situation in Japan, the US, the UK – pretty much ANYWHERE, in fact, where Chinese go to study. Huge numbers of 'em, despite claims to the contrary by the Chinese government, simply don’t go back. If it weren’t for Chinese postgrad students who can’t face returning to life in China, there would be no waitstaff in any of Britain’s Vietnamese and Thai restaurants.[/quote]Set reasonably high standards that potential students must meet. Let them come. Have faith in allure of greater freedom, a better economy, open politics. Skim the cream. How tough is that?

They might stay?? Oh, the horror! Oh my god… have you seen Vancouver lately? Jeez… :loco:[/quote]
Well, that’s the whole point, isn’t it? They HAVE seen Vancouver. And London, etc. And they don’t want it.

Taiwan is much more strictly regulated than Western countries, it woudln’t be easy to work illegally here except for in dangerous and low paid jobs. Not so attractive to the average Chinese student who can find plenty of these jobs in China or other countries. I’m sure the students would get vetted and probably need to put a significant deposit down aswell. There definitely should be an avenue where Chinese students can come here and study.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“redwagon”]This sort of xenophobia is not entirely unfounded.
.[/quote]

So you won’t be singing “This land is your land” anytime soon, huh?[/quote]
I never did like Wille.

Taiwan is overcrowded as it is. It doesn’t need to be any worse. Rather than blaming Taiwan for suggesting such drastic measures, how about blaming the Chinese for the well-deserved reputation they have for not playing fair.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“redwagon”]This sort of xenophobia is not entirely unfounded.
.[/quote]

So you won’t be singing “This land is your land” anytime soon, huh?[/quote]
I never did like Wille.

Taiwan is overcrowded as it is. It doesn’t need to be any worse. Rather than blaming Taiwan for suggesting such drastic measures, how about blaming the Chinese for the well-deserved reputation they have for not playing fair.[/quote]
Change Chinese to Mexicans and you could be in the Arizona thread! :laughing:

Considering the problems they had with sham marriages for Chinese prostitutes and the well known propensity for Chinese to circumvent poorly enforced laws, I don’t see this as necessarily so outrageous considering it’s from a Taiwanese newspaper, our bastions of objectivity and facts :unamused: , and we don’t have the actual quote of the minister.