Chinese students will be kicked out if they get married?

No KTV, travel or pubs?

A bit harsh.

“You can study here, just stay holed up in your dorm on weekends.”

How the fuck will they control this anyways?

I can see the scene now (Sun Moon Lake, any given Saturday)

“Look Officer Chen, that student’s clothing is of inferior fabric! I bet you he’s a Mainlander by golly!”

“You’re right officer Lin, there are no schools at Sun Moon Lake, he is in violation. Lets arrest him and deport him at one! Luckily we now have direct flights so we can shoo him out of here ASAP. I am tired of these Mainland trouble makers!”

TAiwanese want to be recognized by the rest of the planet and yet they harbor such arcane and archaic principles when it comes to human rights. Allow the Chinese students in and allow them the freedom they would get if they went to the USA or keep them out! Dont let them in so you can mistreat them.

Maybe Taiwan shouldnt allow 2000 some Chinese students a year in. Its a small handful that is not going to rescue attendance at some schools in dire need. Close some schools, upgrade the rest.

Dont let Indonesian and other South East Asian labor in if you plan to treat them like slaves either.

Exactly. They won’t.

This is another fop to the public, like saying that signing ECFA won’t undermine Taiwan’s sovereignty. The government says they will prevent the Chinese students from staying on to join the new wave of Chinese immigration, in order to pacify the native Taiwanese. In reality there will be no enforcement and even if illegal, they will be allowed to stay because it’s in line with the government’s goal of annexing Taiwan to China on the sly.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“redwagon”]Check out Japan sometime. They have a huge problem with Chinese ‘students’ who work illegally, denying jobs to young Japanese and forcing wages down. There also a large number who simply never leave after their studies are over, either by marriage or plain overstaying. This sort of xenophobia is not entirely unfounded.
Mind you, given this government’s propensity to do exactly the opposite of what it says, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the blind eye is turned and all are allowed to stay.
Thankfully, very few Chinese have so far shown interest in coming here to study, so hopefully we will be spared.[/quote]
Right. I can see where this comes from – the government is simply looking at the situation in Japan, the US, the UK – pretty much ANYWHERE, in fact, where Chinese go to study. Huge numbers of 'em, despite claims to the contrary by the Chinese government, simply don’t go back. If it weren’t for Chinese postgrad students who can’t face returning to life in China, there would be no waitstaff in any of Britain’s Vietnamese and Thai restaurants.[/quote]Set reasonably high standards that potential students must meet. Let them come. Have faith in allure of greater freedom, a better economy, open politics. Skim the cream. How tough is that?

They might stay?? Oh, the horror! Oh my god… have you seen Vancouver lately? Jeez… :loco:[/quote]
Well, that’s the whole point, isn’t it? They HAVE seen Vancouver. And London, etc. And they don’t want it.[/quote]

I concur. They don’t want yellow men and women flooding the streets of Taiwan. The Taiwanese want to be what London and Vancouver once were…the white Man’s country.

The travel clause is completely retarded :loco: How is travel unrelated to education??? I understand the marriage thing, don’t condone it but I get it.

You want the Chinese students in so you can showcase the country to them and show how ROC works and PRC doesnt. But this is asinine

they want to show case the dorms, travel is a big no-no :slight_smile:

they want to show case the dorms, travel is a big no-no :slight_smile:[/quote]

Best keep the little PRC students out if you dont want them marrying the Taiweaners or having babies and GOOD GOSH ALRIGHTY… remaining in TAIWAN !!!

Heck IM hapa Taiweaner and they wont let me stay on the rock. They dang made me for EXPORT ONLY.

I say unfettered cross-strait fucking for peace. Naruwan!

[quote=“tommy525”]Allow the Chinese students in and allow them the freedom they would get if they went to the USA or keep them out! Dont let them in so you can mistreat them.

Maybe Taiwan shouldnt allow 2000 some Chinese students a year in. Its a small handful that is not going to rescue attendance at some schools in dire need. Close some schools, upgrade the rest.

Dont let Indonesian and other South East Asian labor in if you plan to treat them like slaves either.[/quote]

That’s my take on it, too.

I feel like watching Avatar each time I read you :stuck_out_tongue:

Your avatar makes me think I’m in some alternate reality where Chiang Kai-shek is a great military genius and Sun Yat-sen a giant in the field of political science, the Civil War was not lost and the People’s Republic not declared in Tiananmen Square in 1949, but do I complain about it?

Your problem can be solved as follows: User Control Panel > Friends & Foes > Add New Foes > type “redwagon” > Submit

I think Jay Leno sent this one in, its secret footage from the last reading of this law at the Taiwan Parliament:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6LqVF4CJ4&feature=related

And Please remember CHINA IS NOT PART OF TAIWAN

[quote=“tommy525”]

Dont let Indonesian and other South East Asian labor in if you plan to treat them like slaves either.[/quote]

I heard from a Filipino I know that all the SE Asian factory/labor/domestic workers are getting very worried that they’ll soon be out of jobs to Chinese workers.

I’ve no idea if it’s just rumor or not.

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“tommy525”]

I heard from a Filipino I know that all the SE Asian factory/labor/domestic workers are getting very worried that they’ll soon be out of jobs to Chinese workers.

I’ve no idea if it’s just rumor or not.[/quote]

It doesn’t surprise me, the low Yuan put pressure on other Asian exporters.

The DPP wont let that happen. They prefer Indo and anyone else really.

Greater freedom and open politics, I entirely agree with you. But better economy? Most Chinese in Western North America are there for quality of life issues, to educate their kids in English, and to preserve their wealth. To qualify as an investor immigrant, they’ve already made it in the real world, don’t you think? Sames goes for other business immigrants and many students from other Asian countries (it’s often the elite that are coming over). They’re escaping the rat race for a much better education system for their kids, for clean air, and for a quality of life to let them enjoy the fruits of their labours. Foreign Chinese students? They’ll get a few years working experience to improve their English and international understanding, but it would be surprising for them to stay long term (although welcomed I’m sure in most jurisdictions).

When it comes to making money, how could small markets with smallish populations even compare with China’s? Even during the economic downturn, their GDP has hardly dipped at all. The same can’t be said for the Western developed countries. China is still the place IMHO, for most of these graduates or immigrants, where they’ll return to make their mark or continue their economic success.

For studing in Taiwan, I’d say that most Chinese students, at least from places such as Shanghai, Beijing etc., would view it is a backwater with definitely not a better economy.

I think there is some confusion about what kind of rule is being proposed. Wu Qing-ji, the Minister of Education, explained that Chinese students in Taiwan who marry Taiwanese will have to leave Taiwan because the original purpose of their residence in Taiwan has changed from study to marriage.

Since they are married to Taiwanese, they will be able to apply to return to Taiwan and obtain residence just like other Chinese spouses of Taiwanese citizens. But they will have to re-apply to get into university through the normal exam channel since they no longer fit the special status now being carved out for Chinese students, who can study but have no work or residence rights after graduation.

This makes some sense. And indeed many other countries have similar rules about purpose of visit. For example, if you go to the US to study or to visit and then get married, you can get deported for changing your purpose of visit. This is complicated and often married migrants were allowed to adjust their status anyway,

But I share redwagons concerns. The Ma administration will say anything to reassure the public about its pro-China policies and then go ahead with its real plans. Outside of Taipei, migrant Chinese spouses are working everywhere. Historically, poor overseas Chinese students from southeast Asia have been able to convert their student status into legal immigrant status. Studying in Taiwan will become yet another channel for doing the same.

On the other hand, given Taiwan’s proximity to China and China’s size, anything resembling normal relations with China will have the same result.

But but they will steal OUR girls :slight_smile: