Chinese Taipei vs Cambodia

[quote=“hansioux”]A follow up on the Taiwan v.s. Brunei game. There was a rematch at Brunei yesterday. Taiwan not only needed to win, but also score at least two goals to advance, since Brunei won 1:0 last time.

By the way, the forward Zhu En-le (朱恩樂) who scored one of the 2 goals for Taiwan is a naturalization Turkish player named Onur Dogan.

In the end Taiwan won 2:0, and advanced to the next round of qualifiers for the 2016 World Cup. The game was shown on MOD.[/quote]

I saw it (well 5 minutes of it). Good for Taiwan, but it’s hard to watch. The skill level is really low.

So is Taiwan officially in the competition?

The world cup is still 3 years away, so we won’t know that for a long while.

AFC qualifiers:
First round: A total of 12 teams (teams ranked 35–46) will play home-and-away over two legs. ← we are here

Second round: A total of 40 teams (teams ranked 1–34 and six first round winners) will be divided into eight groups of five to play home-and-away round-robin matches, where the eight group winners and the four best group runners-up will advance to the third round of FIFA World Cup qualification as well as qualify for the [b]AFC Asian Cup finals[/b].

Third round: The 12 teams (an increase from 10 for 2014) will be divided into two groups of six to play home-and-away round-robin matches. Assuming the same number of slots allocated to the AFC as the previous World Cup (4.5 berths), the [b]top two teams of each group will qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup[/b], and the two third-placed teams will advance to the fourth round.

Fourth round (if required, dependent upon the allocation of places to the AFC at the 2018 FIFA World Cup): The two third-placed teams in each group from the third round will play against each other home-and-away over two legs to determine which team will advance to the inter-confederation play-offs.

So, 4 teams from the 3rd round would definitely get in. 2 teams from the 4th round can see if they win a place in the inter-confederation play-offs.

There are 34 teams that gets a bye to second round. 12 teams had to play the first round to earn a place in the 2nd round, and Taiwan is one of those teams.

Some teams from the the bye to second group:
Iran, Japan, S Korea, Uzbekistan, UAE, Qatar…

Teams that made it into the second round:
Taiwan, India, Timor-Leste, Cambodia

well, let’s just say chances are slim for Taiwan to make it into the 3rd round. If they do, someone should make a movie about it.

[quote=“hansioux”]
well, let’s just say chances are slim for Taiwan to make it into the 3rd round. If they do, someone should make a movie about it.[/quote]
Yeah…not gonna happen. :laughing:

[quote=“Gain”][quote=“hansioux”]
well, let’s just say chances are slim for Taiwan to make it into the 3rd round. If they do, someone should make a movie about it.[/quote]
Yeah…not gonna happen. :laughing:[/quote]

it would be similar to Thailand making it to the second round of WBC

Team Taiwan was eliminated in round 1 of 2016 Olympics football qualifier (Asian U23) with a loss to Australia 0-4. Taiwan was in Group F (playing in Kaohsiung) of round 1, and lost to Myanmar 0-3 in the first game. A female announcer of an online internet casting, the only way to view the game here in Taiwan, apparently made some racist remarks about the Burmese team.

Anyway, this is different from the World cup qualifier, and Team Taiwan won’t appear in Olympics soccer.

There’s one more game tomorrow between the two eliminated teams, Taiwan and Hong Kong in Kaohsiung.

news.ltn.com.tw/news/sports/breakingnews/1294244

The head of Taiwan’s Football Association, Lin Zhenyi (林振義), allegedly instructed the national team to deliberately lose to Brunei at the March 12 home game, making 40 million NTD in the process.

During the March 12 home game, over 10,000 fans went to see the game at Kaohsiung. Taiwan was favored to win and underground gambling had the odds at 4 to 1 for a home victory. However, the team benched naturalized Turkish player Onur Dogan for the entire game. Taiwan lost 1:0. They were able to advance by winning 0:2 at Brunei the next game.

Lin has now under arrest, pending further investigations.

You mean spectators or players, like in “playing the gambling game players”? :stuck_out_tongue:

You mean spectators or players, like in “playing the gambling game players”? :p[/quote]

i meant spectators :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“hansioux”]http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/sports/breakingnews/1294244

The head of Taiwan’s Football Association, Lin Zhenyi (林振義), allegedly instructed the national team to deliberately lose to Brunei at the March 12 home game, making 40 million NTD in the process.

During the March 12 home game, over 10,000 fans went to see the game at Kaohsiung. Taiwan was favored to win and underground gambling had the odds at 4 to 1 for a home victory. However, the team benched naturalized Turkish player Onur Dogan for the entire game. Taiwan lost 1:0. They were able to advance by winning 0:2 at Brunei the next game.

Lin has now under arrest, pending further investigations.[/quote]

林振義: Scum of the nation. Taiwan needs a Sports Hall of Shame erected where we can hold such scoundrels and their crimes in contempt for all of eternity. What a fucking disgrace…

Is anybody going to see the game vs Indonesia? I saw them play the Philippines when I was living in Manila (in the ASEAN CUP) and they are horrible but based on what I’ve read about the locals they kind of suck too (i’ve never actually seen them play). I’m glad the game is up north and not down south so I can actually attend but I’m curious as to what kind of atmosphere I should expect. I would guess due to the large Indonesian population on the island it could be a good mix of fans but that’s just a guess.

When I saw the group I was kind of disappointed because I know it’s all but impossible they get through to the 3rd round (and if this match fixing thing is true and FIFA slams them they’d be out of the tournament anyway) but I was hoping for a team that will be playing in Russia in 2018. Outside of Iraq (former Asian Champs) I’d say that not one team has any chance of getting through to Russia let alone even score points in the 3rd round. Could we have at least gotten a Japan or South Korea…I would have even have been happy with Iran.

I think Taiwan (sorry can’t get on board with Chinese Taipei) losses to Indonesia 2-0 and they’ll lose to Thailand 3-1

My group prediction is

Iraq
Thailand
Vietnam
Indonesia
Taiwan

I think the only game they have a chance to win is the home against Indonesia, outside of that they’ll be going up against 2 good (for SE Asian teams in Vietnam and Thailand) and Iraq who should win the group fairly easily.

[quote=“just_chris”]

My group prediction is

Iraq
Thailand
Vietnam
Indonesia
Taiwan

I think the only game they have a chance to win is the home against Indonesia, outside of that they’ll be going up against 2 good (for SE Asian teams in Vietnam and Thailand) and Iraq who should win the group fairly easily.[/quote]

Taiwan’s incredibly lucky to be in Group F. It’s probably the only group where Taiwan has a slim chance of making top 2.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“just_chris”]

My group prediction is

Iraq
Thailand
Vietnam
Indonesia
Taiwan

I think the only game they have a chance to win is the home against Indonesia, outside of that they’ll be going up against 2 good (for SE Asian teams in Vietnam and Thailand) and Iraq who should win the group fairly easily.[/quote]

Taiwan’s incredibly lucky to be in Group F. It’s probably the only group where Taiwan has a slim chance of making top 2.[/quote]

I think you are right, while Vietnam and Thailand are good for SE Asian teams in the grand scheme of things they really aren’t that good. Indonesia is pretty bad. If they can hold serve at home against those 3 and maybe steal one away from the island they could somehow make it through although like you said it’s a slim chance.

Apparently the match versus Indonesia has been cancelled?

From the CTFA facebook page.

"World Cup qualifying second round June 11 and China VS Indonesia match cancellation announcement

Asian Football Confederation official on Indonesia Football Association right to stop making a statement
FIFA May 30, 2015, resolutions on Indonesia Football Association disciplinary right of stopping, Indonesia officials, national team and clubs within the disabled period banned from attending any event held in AFC and FIFA, with immediate effect.
Originally scheduled for June 11, 2015, China VS Indonesia match cancelled.
Please public the excuse me"

Yes, it has been cancelled.

The reason: abc.net.au/news/2015-05-31/i … ng/6509586

Even though it still shows up here, together with the other home fixtures: ctfa.com.tw/latest/108-tourn … -2019.html

I saw that today, I was planning on going but I guess that won’t happen… lol. Guess I’ll have to make plans to do that Thailand match on the 16th instead.

I’m just curious as to how this affects the group, you would think AFC could have filled the spot with the team that had the best aggregate from round 1 (which would have been impossible as all the losers outside of Nepal finished with 1 goal) however Brunei had the best GD so why not throw them in? I know it’s short notice but they would have had nearly 2 weeks. I’m sure the AFC has some type of contingency plan but with these 4 teams now getting 2 less games then the other 36 I wonder how they would determine if the 2nd place team in this group can get one of those 2 spots.

Anyone know how to get tickets for the Thailand game?

Is it just turn up on the day like the little tournament then had last year?

My experience at the match, the tickets were free but apparently you had to get them in advance. How I don’t know but I just asked people around the stadium until I was able to get one. The seating appeared to be GA with the exception for the VIP section (which was empty so anybody who wanted to sit there could) and the Thai fans who were segregated into a corner of the stadium but were extremely loud, cheerful and fun to watch.

The atmosphere was fantastic, it was grassroots at it’s finest and the Taiwanese fans were loud, they were into it and they seemed to understand the game. There were a lot of people there and it was a lot of fun.

The game itself was kind of how you would have expected it, Thailand was superior in all aspects of the game but Taiwan put up a fight. The 2 goals were a result of terrible defense and Thailand was unlucky to not have had a 3rd but their first shot of the game hit the post. Taiwan has a long way to go to compete with some of the other nations in Asia but no reason they can’t get better. The goalie made a few great saves and I came away impressed with the play of Chen Hao Wei and Lo Chih En. Chen Chao An nearly gave Taiwan a goal late in the game but his shot was just a bit wide. I was not impressed with Onur Dogan aka Chu En Le, he’s big, but he seemed soft and was kind of clunky. He is slow and really couldn’t do much, he was subbed out early in the 2nd half for Lo Chih En who created many more chances and seemed to really provide a spark.

All in all I think the locals have a shot against Vietnam to get a point and maybe even 3 which would be a huge achievement considering they lost to Brunei not that long ago. I think Thailand probably could have done a bit more had they wanted but they seemed satisfied with the 2 goals and really just dominated possession and the midfield. They will have a chance to get through to the 3rd round but they are going to have to win one of the games against Iraq and win at Vietnam. I don’t see them losing the return of tonight’s match.