Chinese translations that seem to make no sense but actually do

Not a likely vector :slight_smile: But I think languages like Portuguese, Italian and French could be plausible

I guess I just want them to stay consistent. If you do 新西蘭, then New York has to be called 新紐 as well.

For directions, I’m fine with translating them as 東西南北 instead of phonetically.

“紐約” sounds a lot better in Minnan by the way.

1 Like

Liú-iok

Hmm yeah “liu-a” is button, right. But “New York” is “niu-iok” it always seemed to me.

Looking around dictionaries that’s the only word it seems to be read as “niu” in.

Not sure, by whoever is doing it is smoking crack.

Actually, to be consistent it should be 新約. :doh:

There’s also 南斯拉夫 for Yugoslavia.

They should revamp the entire POE system. Represent the nasal sound with a ~ like is done in Portuguese. Jit, nung, sã, shi.

If you mean Taigi POJ, then they’ve actually tried it. If you go read Tshuà Puê-hué (蔡培火)'s diary, he used the ~ to denote nasalization.

I acutally prefer TAILO system using double n to denote nasalization. It is clear and doesn’t get cluttered with tonal markings.

1 Like

Cool, didn’t k of that.

This is a part of Tshuà Puê-hué (蔡培火)'s diaries regarding his surgery in Japan and his reaction to the news of the Wushia Seediq revolt.

The first red underline marked this sentence:
Li̍p kheǹg-eǹg tāi-ha̍k pi ̄ ̃-i ̄ ̃ chhiú-su̍t.

In Hanji it would be
入慶應大學病院手術

The current POJ standard would look like:
Li̍p kheǹg-eǹg tāi-ha̍k pīⁿ-īⁿ chhiú-su̍t.

However, POJ also allows the use of nn instead of ⁿ

The equivalent in Tailo would be:
Li̍p khìng-ìng tāi-ha̍k pīnn-īnn tshiú-su̍t.

Notice the different conventions of tonal mark placements. POJ has an unnecessarily complicated set of rules that sometimes places the tonal marks over n in words that end in ng.

1 Like

I don’t like how everybody is moving away from using the hanji root.

Saw on TV the other day, 粒賀 for 你好, come on, man. 幹 for 姦, like you mentioned previously.

In Korea, instead of translating 王維中 using the Hanja root, which would be Wang Yoo Joong, they just do it by sound, Wang Weh-I Joong, which in Korean would take 4 words instead of 3 because long vowels take more than one Hangul to represent. Not a big fan.

For Taiwan, the name is Daeman but nowadays they often just say Taiwan (Although I’m not as upset by this one as Taiwan isn’t a Chinese name anyway).

The same thing is happening in Japan, sort of. If there’s a famous player in the past with the same last name, they would usually translate it accordingly, such as 郭 かく or 王 おう. However, if it’s a new last name in the NPB, they would just use a bazzillion Katakanas to phonetically approximate Mandarin…

At least they preserved the last name.

When 陽岱鋼 was 陽仲壽 he was Choso Yo (onyomi). Now he is Daikan Yoh.

Also, 新约 is New Testament.

A lot of characters that appear in given names are less common. I wonder if that could be a practical issue for the Japanese.

A lot of Japanese surnames aren’t in the official 2,100.

But those would be known through usage.

Perhaps. Japan has way more last names than China though, hence fewer ones that are very common.