Chinese Win XP - can I use english-language software?

Hi,

My cousin gave me his winxp sp2 license/CD pack (unopened) since he decided to go linux on his box.

I want to use it to replace my vistas on my laptop because…

1. even with 2GB ram, vista is slow.

2. I need to access Lotus mail for work which is not yet compatible with Vista.

So my question is twofold:

A. How easy is it to use Chinese version XP when my Chinese is basic, and is it possible to install a lot of English-language software e.g. MS Office, WOW, Antivirus, Photoshop, etc. without problems?

B. If the answer to A. is yes, you’ve got problems, then can I use the Chinese XP license code to install a English version XP.

The answer to A is that you should find it easy enough to use XP in Chinese, even if your Chinese is basic, and yes you can install all the English language software you like.

I’m in exactly the same situation at work.

i’m sure the answer to B is no. if you’re used to windows then 98% of time you will have no problem, all menus are in same places etc. it’s just when you have to go digging around for some reason that it will be aggravating. still always possible to figure out though with all the online documentation. one thing that helped in such situations was that the hotkey for Print for example will still be ctrl-p and shown in the menus. that one letter can help you find what you’re looking for.

Jack Burton wrote:

[quote]A. How easy is it to use Chinese version XP when my Chinese is basic, and is it possible to install a lot of English-language software e.g. MS Office, WOW, Antivirus, Photoshop, etc. without problems?

B. If the answer to A. is yes, you’ve got problems, then can I use the Chinese XP license code to install a English version XP.[/quote]

I have been using my XP in Chinese and Office in English for a long time, and it works fine. Sometimes I wish it was all in English -like I have it at work- because troubleshooting is soo much easier. Anyway, if you cannot understand the message in Chinese, it probably is too complicated for you to fix it by yourself (At least, in my case, there are things that pop up on the screen, like error 658 whatever thingy something whatchamacalick, that I wouldn’t get in English or even Spanish. There are people who take care of those things.)

I did the bought Chinese version, used code for English installment with my antivirus, and it works fine. My new computer guy has assured me the same procedure can be undertaken with XP, and I am most tempted to try. This has been confirmed by my brother and a pal’s boyfriend -both computer engineers/geeks-, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Thanks y’all. That will save me several hours of installing OS + Apps.

Now if I can only get that IP address to stop “acquiring” and give me some g’ded actual access to the internet.