Chinese working visa from Taiwan?

I’m here as a 3 month visa-exempt person, Polish citizen. I just got a job offer from China. They say they can possibly get me a points-based working visa or some such.

I was wondering if it’s possible to sort it out from Taiwan. I’ve heard there’s no visa office for China here. Also, certain documents need to be “approved” somehow by Chinese embassy/consulate…to be honest I’m not quite sure how it all works.

Overall, I’d really rather avoid going back home if possible. I believe I can get all the documents sent to me here via courier, unsure if it’s possible to “legalise” them without my presence, or to do it here? Or perhaps it’s not an option at all.

Any help most appreciated.

This is Taiwan. Officially, in the mind of China, it does not exist. Surely you know this already. There is no embassy, there’s only a huge arsenal of missiles pointed at us.

There are agents however who can send your documents to Hong Kong for expedition.

2 Likes

In theory, you need to apply in your country/region of citizenship or residence. In practice, you can probably apply in HK, but the situation keeps changing. :idunno:

2 Likes

For short-term visas, you need a Taiwanese ARC to apply through HK - or at least that’s what the agent told me a couple of days ago. Not sure if the same holds true for long-term work visas.

1 Like

Right. It’s probably mission impossible for the “must be a resident” reason mentioned above.

I grew up in a communist regime with its surreal bureaucracy, never thought it will still manage to haunt me decades later :smiley:

Ask people in HK and Macao. If the government visa office (“Mainland Liaison Office” or whatever it’s called) turns you away, there may be a travel agent who can do it.

Also, it may be possible to get the visa in the mainland after entering with a tourist or business visa.

1 Like

I got mine a number of years ago, I had an ARC at the time but I don’t think it will make a difference. Company in China handled their side of it and then I transited in HongKong to get a Z visa which is then converted to a residence visa within 30 days once you’ve moved to China. The rules may have changed since then, this page seems to be accurate, https://www.saporedicina.com/english/chinese-visa-application/#chinese-visa-5b

The only thing “special” I had to do in Taiwan was get the medical report completed. Again you need to rely on the Chinese company to get their end sorted out and know what both parties need to do.

1 Like

Change of plans. Now I just need a tourist visa. Is it possible to obtain for somebody like me - non US citizen, no ARC - from Taiwan, through an agent most perhaps or by going to HK?

Do you know any travel agencies that deal with such requests and I could ask them directly?

http://en.liontravel.com/chinaVisa.aspx

1 Like

If you don’t have an ARC it costs more, but they can still do it. (lion travel)

1 Like