Chinese writers of North America railroad period

apparently some did have the time to write journals and dairies---- from a friend— THE BOOK IS “Chinese American Literature since 1850”, by Xian Huang Yin… published by the University of Illinois Press…they wrote in English and Chinese-- etc…34 bucks to order the book…

Well done!

HG

From my first post in this thread:

Yin’s book is a sociohistorical survey of Chinese American literature, beginning with immigrant literature in 1852 and ending with Amy Tan’s Joy Luck Club in 1989 (yeah, he skips a decade of great stuff). It’s one of the few scholarly works out there to focus exclusively on Chinese American literature - most treat it as part of the “Big 5” of Asian American literature (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, and Indian). He’s also the only one to my knowledge to actually discuss writings in Chinese – it’s not a major part of the book, but he does discuss some untranslated stuff and argues that these writings should be part of the Chinese American literary canon; at present, they’re rarely if ever studied or anthologized – the same is true for many country’s multiethnic literatures. When I read it, though, I was focusing on writings in English (he offers a nice take on the whole Maxine Hong Kingston – Frank Chin dispute), so I don’t remember exactly what all he covered in the beginning. It is, however, probably the source that Hongda is looking for – and it might just be the only one.

haven’t read the book mentioned, but so far, it may be the only one on record that actually has writings from 1850-70 period…still looking…but not much to go on… must be buried with them in California… there are many chinese buried in the cemetary in Oakland, CA. where Crocker is buried; they are on the hillsides above him… if he had only known, he would have sought higher ground for his tomb…I suppose…

Does anybody really think Chinese are multi-ethnic… i believe the multi part. I read where 33% of the population of Vancouver,Canada is Chinese. Is this true? Is there any gold up there?

[quote=“smell the glove”]And here’s one of a bunch of whites coming out to gawk at a funeral in Chinatown ca 1900.

At at least one of these “spectacles,” whites gleefully rushed in and grabbed trinkets and funerary stuff, in the process knocking the coffin over and spilling the body out into the street.[/quote]

And we complain when the odd Taiwanese kid stares at us when we walk down the street…

Bismark wrote [quote]And we complain when the odd Taiwanese kid stares at us when we walk down the street…[/quote]

If you are going to make comparisons, wouldn’t it make more sense to compare situations from the same period? It’s not really fair to compate 1900 in the States with 2006 in the Beautiful Isle, is it?

If you are going to make comparisons, wouldn’t it make more sense to compare situations from the same period? It’s not really fair to compate 1900 in the States with 2006 in the Beautiful Isle, is it?[/quote]

It was tongue in cheek. :wink:

Bismark wrote ]And we complain when the odd Taiwanese kid stares at us when we walk down the street…

no, only when a cabbie hits you over the head with a lead filled steel pipe while a crowd of Chinese stand around laughing and grinning, and the whitey gets charged with felony assault- then its ok to complain I guess, but not to the Chinese…the police throw out the weapon as evidence… beer is sometimes good, depends on the batch and how much formaldehyde is in it…

WARNING: THIS FORUM IS CONTROLLED BY BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS… WATCH OUT FOR HYSTERICAL HISTORY… AND VERY LITTLE ELSE… ADIOS

If you are going to make comparisons, wouldn’t it make more sense to compare situations from the same period? It’s not really fair to compate 1900 in the States with 2006 in the Beautiful Isle, is it?[/quote]

Not really. Look at the first pictures posted and than look at the ones I posted from the year 2005.Notice any similarities?? Almost the same thing, only over here, 100 years later they still practice what was done in the Old West.
They take it a step further though by practicing woman trafficking, and wives as slaves and baby makers. And of course things like trying to get them killed on trains to collect insurance payments. Just google search “Vietnam wife abuse Taiwan” and see how much stuff comes up. What ever happened to the father and son team that was being charged with the sytemtic rape of a dozen or more Vietnamese women here?
In the Old West at least they had China towns but let’s see what happens if the Philippinos or Vietnamese try the same thing in a Chinese society.
Speaking of racism; Chinese are always quick to claim they are all one people around the world,…so it’s interesting that mainly Chinese from Western countries get better treatment than those from 3rd world countries as far as visas and stuff like that go. And then it gets more twisted when “real” Chinese tell Abc’s, BBC’s and CBC’s they aren’t “real” Chinese because they can’t speak the language fluently etc… :s

thank you hongda…i remember when the Taipei Police Dept-- many in it, got wrapped up a scandal importing girls from the mainland- to work in brothals-- then it quickly disappeared from the news. covered up… I wonder where that story went… did you know that while, 500-1000 Chinese died building the railroad, at least one white, black, Mexican, or European immigrant coming east were dying at a rate of one a day-- Indians, snakes… and all that? As far as I know, not one of them kept a journal or diary- except the Mormons( they all did) .i guess they were just too busy eeking out a living, or trying to save enough money to return to their potato patches in Ireland. Population of California in 1870 was about 560,000 of which about 60,000 were Chinese…It doesn’t justify white backlash and racism, but it helps explain it…It had only been a state, what 18- 20 years…? Anybody in this forum ever inheriit land from a Mexican land grant? i knew one guy who inherited 80,000 acres in California at age 18…Next to Fremont’s 80,000 acre spread…

Stories are constantly disappearing. I think people here are only interested in the initial gruesome details but seldom the follow up concerning court verdicts, punishments etc…(politics are an exception).
Ability in reporting news is a total joke .
I remember some years ago a tightrope walker finished his 1 1/2 hour walk between 2 high buildings. When he arrived on the other side the first questions the reporters asked him were; “Do you like noodles or rice?” and “What do you think of Taiwan girls?”. A similar thing happened when Tiger Woods visited.
And I presume these are people who majored in journalism. :loco:

WELL ,WHICH WAS IT, RICE OR NOODLES? Didn’t they even get that?

Tiger is pretty easy going and I think he answered he likes the noodles in Taiwan.
The tight-rope walker was a very serious type European and just looked baffled, not to mention, exhausted. He bypassed most of the questions including several about Taiwan girls which I think were directed at him because some earlier newspaper reports made a big deal about him supposedly being gay–(of course this is very important detail when reporting on tight-rope walkers :s )…another reporter asked if he was scared and he just gave a reply on the unexpected wind conditions and other technical problems he encountered on this particular walk. Probably just answers to questions he’d normally be asked in other places by professional reporters. Basically he looked dismayed and disgusted over the entire ordeal from day one of the operation.

ok, so tiger liked noodles and they couldn’t get an answer from the other guy… thanks hongda…