Chinglish in Shanghai

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8219427.stm

God forbid they ask the advice of native English speakers.

It’s interesting that the sign in that article uses the short i (e.g., something that looks kind of like this:
Be

iji

ng
), which is something I’ve seen all too often in Taiwan.

Some good ones here

nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/0 … ef=general

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Some good ones here

nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/0 … ef=general[/quote]
#8 is funny, but it’s technically kosher: the wood-ear fungus 黑木耳 (Auricularia auricula-judae) is also known as “Jew’s Ear”.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Some good ones here

nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/0 … ef=general[/quote]“Smart noshery makes you slobber.” Words to live by.

So, despite having a pretty large english speaking expat population they’re using students!! WTF, the phrase peanuts and monkeys springs to mind!!

They trust the students. They don’t trust us - we haven’t had the benefit of a world-class Chinese education.

and why don’t they just google the word first before printing!!!

wait…

Nevermind. :laughing:

I was about to say that they should use an old fashioned paper dictionary but then I remember those are also made locally -like in Taiwan- and are mostly reprints from 50 years ago…

I am currently engaged in the joyful checking of ancient texts untouched by furriner eyes… you have no idea of the horrors… But how can you argue that yes, the word is right, it does exist, it is just that the meaning does not match? :cry: