Chinoy

I’ve always wondered where the surname “Chinoy” comes from and it seems to be from the Philippines. The Chinoys are Chinese Pinoys (Philippinos). Do you know anything about this subject?

I don’t know if this qualifies as stalking but I’ll help you out here if you pm me the answer to the guessing game. :tic: :smiling_imp:

Somwhere lost in a far land called Canada, Chinese people are called “Chintucks” in a rude manner. That doesn’t help you though… :smiley:

I thought you were talking about the guy on CNN.

I don’t think “Chinoy” is a derogatory term. I was speaking about both, Mike Chinoy and the Chinoys in the Philippines. Is his surname derived from the ethnic group?

[quote=“bobepine”]I don’t know if this qualifies as stalking but I’ll help you out here if you pm me the answer to the guessing game. :tic: :smiling_imp:

Somwhere lost in a far land called Canada, Chinese people are called “Chintucks” in a rude manner. That doesn’t help you though… :smiley:[/quote]

Even though the thread has been floundered (the second one today, I think) we can still continue making posts to our hearts content. Floundering is like purgatory, it’s not really hell yet.

Ah, Mike Chinoy, living proof that you can be CNN’s talking head for an area and still have no idea about anything related to said area. And I can’t stop laughing when I see him:

Borat from Kazakhstan

Mike Chinoy

“Chinoy” seems to be a surname in India and among Jewish people in Belarus.

Chinese + Filipino ( in the Philippines the word for Filipino is Pinoy)
Chinese + Pinoy = Chinoy thats it ! :laughing:
parents are Filipino and Chinese (maybe from China / Taiwan)

Do Filipinos have any other names for Chinoys? Like, as in if you’re white and travelling in the Philippines people will yell out at you, “Hey Joe!” Do they yell out, “Hey Chang!” to Chinese people?

yeah they do… they would call us “Intsik” which doesn’t sound good at all, but i’m not offended, i just don’t like the sound that’s all.

In any case, to explain further, Chinoy or Tsinoy is just Like ABC/CBC. We are not called FBC (Filipino Born Chinese) but Chinoy instead.

Delete

The CNN Chinoy is a Russian Jewish background, he is also an expert on China issues. My cousin used to work with him in CNN Hong Kong and now they are both relocated in Beijing.

[quote=“azur”]The CNN Chinoy is … an expert on China issues.[/quote]ROTFLMAO. I wouldn’t trust Mike Chinoy to report accurately on yesterday’s weather or find his own ass given two hands and a map.

Thanks Azur. Finally an aswer to the riddle.

I want to see Mike Chinoy hosting a special report on Kazakhstan. Especially if he opened the report by saying “Jak sie masz”.

^^^ Tetsuo, thanks to you my keyboard is now half-soaked with red wine :laughing: :notworthy:

Is “Intsik” a derogatory term? A friend of mine (who happens to be Tsinoy himself) would say, “Intsik Beho!”

I figured that was stronger (more offensive) than simply “Intsik”

‘intsik’ or ‘inchik’ alone is not a derogatory term. It simply means ‘chinese’,if I’m not mistaken. ‘baho’ however, means ‘smelly’.

Indeed, ‘baho’ does mean smelly in Tagalog, but my friend is saying, “Beho”.

I’ve actually always assumed it (“beho”) was Hokkien for Chinese, or something like that.

Whenever they called me “Hey Joe” in PI I would just smile and say
“Hey Flip!”