Choose your own adventure

Anyone ever seen those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books. Also known as Twist a Plots, Pick a Paths etc. You knwo the ones where you read the story and then it says somethinglike:
To follow the dodgy guy out the back of the pub turn to page 67
To forget about it and have another pint turn to page 245
or something like that.

Can’t find them anywhere.

Brian

I know what you’re talking about. You can order them off Amazon.
But here’s one for you now

The Goosebumps series had regular “horror” stories, but also had a seperate subgenre of choose your own adventure stuff. My advanced kids went bonkers over them. Try Amazon and search for Goosebumps.

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”]
But here’s one for you now[/quote]

This choose-your-own-adventure lacks some of the appeal of the old books. I kept breaking up with my girlfriend because of an alien, or because she was sleeping with her manager…

AARGH… not an adventure, a real life tragedy.

I like the write-your-own books that were nothing but blank pages.

Do you think we could create a Choose Your Own Adventure story about living in Taiwan?
See this: valeriemates.com/interactive_story.html
Example 1: valeriemates.com/cgi-bin/cgi … e/story.pl
Example 2: youralaska.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi

I think you’ll enjoy my beans, beans, the musical fruit page if you can find it…like an idiot, I was so thrilled by writing it, that I forgot to write my name on it as well, but that’s very cool…I should bookmark this page…excellent idea!

Here are a couple good sites about Choose Your Own Adventure-type books:
Demian’s Gamebook Web Page A very nice guide to books that have been published, online books, etc.
Flight from the Dark A nifty online adventure.

Are you kidding? I am having so much fun writing my own on this website! It begins with a Goldilocks context, but then spins out way out of context. It’s pretty cool.

Start it here:
valeriemates.com/cgi-bin/cgi … &chapter=0

How can you write your own online…The one from Valerie’s page is wa-ay too complicated for me.

I loved these books when I was younger. My older brothers had almost every one of these books and I would always sneak into their room and jack one of the books, read through it and then return it for another one.

Yeah. I had a million or so when I was young.

Actually I think those books would be great for teaching private classes to kids.

Do they sell them at bookstores in the west anymore?

We have stacks of them at school. I think they’re part of the Oxford series for young readers. They range from really basic level to a bit more advanced. The kids seem to enjoy them. All those Oxford books are pretty cool. They’re basic level reading skill-oriented, but they don’t assume that the kids are idiots. They do anything from detective stories to science fiction or easy versions of famous stories. Pretty cool.
I used to like those books too despite the fact that it takes about 10 minutes to read one of them.

[quote=“twonavels”]All those Oxford books are pretty cool. They’re basic level reading skill-oriented, but they don’t assume that the kids are idiots. They do anything from detective stories to science fiction or easy versions of famous stories. Pretty cool.[/quote]The Oxford Bookworms series is very useful. As you say, a low language level without patronising the kids.

I don’t find the choose-your-own-adventure Bookworms ones to be the best written though. It’s hard when there are only 30 sections but I feel that even so they could have done a little better. The best one of these at the beginner level is “Survive!” – the one about a girl whose plane goes down and she’s stranded on a mountain. It’s actually quite tricky to finish that one (I mean tricky in the game sense; not the language used.)