Chops ...?

I notice that Gus and Maoman are now both sporting “chops.” Gus has awarded himself four already … reminds me of Idi Amin awarding himself medals (presumably for his excellent strategy in controlling Ugandas population.)
So what’s the deal? Are these things that are bestowed upon us little folk at the whim and fancy of administrators, or are these more things to be “earned”?

Now that’s a pleasant thought. Can always count on there being someone to see things in the best light.

So what is the deal? Answer: Whim and fancy.

Once upon a time, the forum titles, rankings and guanxi were probably meant to indicate some kind of credibility. Over time, regular members know (figure out) whose posts are hilarious, informative, whiny, literate, or what-have-you. Some may be using their ignore lists to block out certain members, too.

But the new members and casual visitors of the website do not have this insight. They also cannot rely on post volume or guanxi points. Post volume does not correlate with “cool” posts, titles can be changed to whatever YOU like (for a G$ price), and Guanxi is being traded more and more or being kept in a bank to earn G$ interest. Its level simply does not reflect a Segue member’s standing.

Chops are meant to address these issues. If you receive a chop, it is because someone feels you deserve one. They made the case on your behalf to the administrators (for technical reasons, only the administrators can issue chops – I hope this can change). It’s kind of like those stickers you used to get in nursery school for neat things you did (What’s that? You don’t know what I’m talking about…? Well, anyway…)

I’ve asked our Creative Braintrust to help deterine what kinds of chops will be awarded:
for expertise in a subject (Expert Chops),
for good writing skills (Readability Chops),
for a sense of humor (Chuckle Chops)
for good behaviour (Brown-Nosed Chops go to those we like)
for bad behaviour (Karate Chops go to those we don’t like, but haven’t yet built a case for banning their ass)
for bravery and performance above and beyond the call of duty (Five-star Chops)
… I think you get the picture. What can I say, it’s academy award season

There may also be chops to indicate who are moderators and who are administrators.

Your suggestions are welcome. Please post them here

Do I get to keep my test chop?

Sorry, jeff,

I’ll have a new set of Chinese chops ready sometime in the next couple of weeks. I just haven’t gotten around to taking your test chop off.

[quote=“gus”]Sorry, jeff,

I’ll have a new set of Chinese chops ready sometime in the next couple of weeks. I just haven’t gotten around to taking your test chop off.[/quote]

What are you talking about, taking away my test chop? I paid for it! :cry: