chopsticks washing by rubbing together?

While visiting my wife’s parents I noted that all my wife’s relatives wash chopsticks by simply rubbing them together. They will hold 20 chopsticks with both hands and roll them back and forth against each other for a few seconds. No soap, no scrubbing material, no close inspection.

I have been in Taiwan for 20 years but never saw this chopstick washing method. I always washed the dishes when visiting the parents’ house so did not notice until recently when there.

My wife says alot of people wash chopsticks this way. I am picky about carefully washing utensils so just wondering…Is this the standard method most people use for washing chopsticks?

You are supposed to wash them ?:laughing:

1 Like

Some people wipe them with toilet paper.

Thats how I thought people washed them, except with soap. The magic of 摩擦。Although according to these guys its not the best way. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ozlvNA6xJl8

I’ve seen them washed the same way. And the Taiwanese wondered why hepatitis transmission rates were always so high…

At least my wife bought a new batch of chopsticks last year as the old wooden ones were starting to look a little rotten…however, still using wooden chopsticks.

Not only Chopsticks but all the dishes. And don’t need soap or warm water either. And that’s what the restaurants do

That’s one of my pet peeves here. I wash dishes in hot water. I don’t have to use as much soap and they are squeaky clean. You know the plate sound when it is clean. If a friend is helping me, I have to warn them about the hot water because they aren’t expecting it. And don’t get me started about the kitchen sponges that are older than I am…

1 Like

That’s disgusting.

And my wife’s mother uses those luffas to wash dishes which are disgusting to me…with all the small pieces of old food stuck inside.