Chopsticks

So, sorry if this has already been brought up, but people here waste so much wood using throw-away chopsticks for nearly every meal at restaurants… It is crazy. The 20 some million Taiwanese will collectivally go through 3 trillion chopsticks, not to mention all those plastic bags…
Everybody–be friendly to the trees, and buy reusable chopsticks! Xie xie da jia.

Its ok because the wood comes from other 3rd world countries. Besides what makes u think Taiwanese give an F about their own environment. Just look outside!

Besides, do you carry around a pair of chopsticks wherever you go?

Local media covered this one a lonnng time ago. But with the emphasis being placed on how many stores/restaurants reuse the chopsticks. Wash them and re bag them. So, now many people carry their own chopsticks after that investigative :unamused: report.

I’m going back to eating with my hands…

[quote=“Tyc00n”]Its ok because the wood comes from other 3rd world countries. Besides what makes u think Taiwanese give an F about their own environment. Just look outside!

Besides, do you carry around a pair of chopsticks wherever you go?[/quote]
That’s ture–I mentioned this to my host mom, and she told me, “They come from Indonesia.” Oh–okay…
And yeah, Taiwanese do not seem to care too much about the environment the way they live, but at least I can do my little part by using reusables. I have a pocket-sized pair that folds in, so it is easy to take with me.

I guess Taiwan has bigger problems that chopsticks, though…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]

I’m going back to eating with my hands… :loco:[/quote]

You can do that with tater tots :smiley:
(isn’t that joke getting old?!??!)

Aren’t they made from bamboo that grows bloody fast? If so, it’s hardly environmental unfriendly …

Yes, they are made from bamboo. No idea if they have arcinogens though the shit some people eat does make me wonder.

I read an article in either the T.T. or China Post today (Iread both so can’t remember which) that said they will no longer be providing disposable eating utensils in Taiwanese Colleges.

It’s a start I guess.

I always carry some metal sticks in my bag. But really - - the local sticks - they are made out of young bamboo and I have stopped worrying about it. I know that the sticks I use come from a plant that has very recently been a sprout and will undoubtable become a billboard if alowed to grow. I’m not sure which outcome is the best but when in doubt, I pull out my metal sticks and enjoy the meal with unwrapping the so-called recyclable sticks. Also, I note that most traditional buffets have a recycle bin for “pig food” and other shite. Use it. I try to be enviromentaly friendly but I know I miss the mark on occassion. I think that trying is better than not. My personal opinion.

Even if they are made out of majic trees that disintegrate automatically after use, there is still the issue of the billion and ten little plastic wrappers…
Environmental damage isn’t always from trees being cut down. What about things being thrown away?

[quote=“Gaijinian”][quote=“Tyc00n”]Its ok because the wood comes from other 3rd world countries. Besides what makes u think Taiwanese give an F about their own environment. Just look outside!

Besides, do you carry around a pair of chopsticks wherever you go?[/quote]
That’s ture–I mentioned this to my host mom, and she told me, “They come from Indonesia.” Oh–okay…
And yeah, Taiwanese do not seem to care too much about the environment the way they live, but at least I can do my little part by using reusables. I have a pocket-sized pair that folds in, so it is easy to take with me.

I guess Taiwan has bigger problems that chopsticks, though…[/quote]

Well you can get away with carrying chopsticks. If a westerner has a pair of chopsticks in their top pocket (or wear’s the Chinese style shirt) they just look like weirdo’s… ya know the kind that have been in asia for too long.

I personally find wooden chopsticks far superior to metal or plastic ones. They have better grip, and are lighter weight…

hey perhaps I could design some ergonomic graphite chopsticks. But not like these…

20 or 30 years ago the government promoted disposable eating utensils to get hepatitis under control because Taiwan had one of the highest rates in the world.
It’ll be interesting to see if it makes a comeback after they ban disposables again.

I’d be more concerned with the amount of fuel each person burns into the air each day than biodegradable bamboo chopsticks. Bamboo grows at something like a foot per day. The chopsticks don’t need to be wrapped in plastic either.

:bravo: :notworthy: :bravo:

[quote=“Hongda”]20 or 30 years ago the government promoted disposable eating utensils to get hepatitis under control because Taiwan had one of the highest rates in the world.
It’ll be interesting to see if it makes a comeback after they ban disposables again.

I’d be more concerned with the amount of fuel each person burns into the air each day than biodegradable bamboo chopsticks. Bamboo grows at something like a foot per day. The chopsticks don’t need to be wrapped in plastic either.[/quote]

Yeah I’m not too fond of the plastic reusable ones, the way they do the dishes here …

Take a handfull of chopsticks, dunk them in soapy water and then while holding them between 2 hands…slide your hands back and forth making a cool rattling noise. Dunk them in reasonably clean water and back into the chopstick container.
This is alot faster then wiping each chopstick individually. :smiley:

Just found out that starting Monday the restaurant at my uni is going to stop providing eating utensils. We are asked to take along our own chopsticks and bowls!

That sounds economic rather environmental, but good luck finding a folding bowl!! :slight_smile:

I would stop eating there. I’ve got enough shit to carry around every day. I’ll be damned if I’m gonna haul a bowl around too. :noway: