Christ now what! Not safe to go for a walk!

According to this its not even safe to walk down the street anymore in Taipei. How about going for a run am I putting my health in danger ?

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003612668

it’s all relative isn’t it, we need to compare the danger against other types of danger, such as obesity, getting it by a scooter etc. In the end though it’s not news that higher PM2.5 is bad for your heart. there have. been many studies done in London, kids who grow up closer to highways have worse health and lower IQs.
Yes environmental pollution lowers IQs.

To answer your question, you are possibly damaging your lung running in the open. on polluted days. IIRC Studies on cyclists in polluted cities have shown they are also badly affected. you can check the PSI and PM2.5 everyday and choose to run outside on more appropriate occasions. My guess tough is that running will still be more beneficial than not running at all, so be sensible and choose when to run indoors or outdoors

Yea, its sad. Taipei is a safe place, except for BREATHING.

Wear a mask…

How about if one goes to a stroll, say, at NTU or Daan Park, where there are many trees? Air should be a bit better, right?

Or do we have to go to the mountains to enjoy a stroll?

Remember that it is consider very good air in Beijing :slight_smile:

Does anyone know how to access PM2.5 observations?

You have the choice … take MRT and take the risk getting hit with pliers … or walk and breathe in small particles!

I use this website: taqm.epa.gov.tw/taqm/en/

And yup, I wish I knew a good way to figure out the pluses and minuses of exercising at different pollution levels. The Hourly PM 2.5 index is apparently 4; I’ll be cycling into areas that are at 5; so is it a good or a bad idea to go out?

But it’s raining for the next few days, so out I go.

And yup, I wish I knew a good way to figure out the pluses and minuses of exercising at different pollution levels. The Hourly PM 2.5 index is apparently 4; I’ll be cycling into areas that are at 5; so is it a good or a bad idea to go out?

But it’s raining for the next few days, so out I go.[/quote]

Maybe you should wear N95 or P95 masks while cycling.

http://aqicn.org/map/taiwan/ is also good. Allows you to slide westwards and check out the mainland too.

But it’s raining for the next few days, so out I go.[/quote]

Watch out for the O3 levels.
There is more O3 in the areas that have less pollution.

Zhongshan 84
Moderate
Monitoring Hourly
Concentration
PM10
(unit:μg/m3) 114
[color=#FF0000]O3
(unit:ppb) 28[/color]
[color=#4000BF]Hourly
PM2.5 Index 7
High[/color]
Recommendation
PM2.5
Monitoring Hourly
Concentration
(unit:μg/m3) 46

Songshan 64
Moderate
Monitoring Hourly
Concentration
PM10
(unit:μg/m3) 80
[color=#FF0000]O3
(unit:ppb) 44[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Hourly
PM2.5 Index 4
Moderate[/color]
PM2.5
Monitoring Hourly
Concentration
(unit:μg/m3) 39

Sunshine and pollution produces high levels of O3, however pollution also is responsible for destroying O3.
Therefor it will collect wherever there is a nice green pollution free space.

[quote=“nonredneck”]
Maybe you should wear N95 or P95 masks while cycling.[/quote]
Stupid question… what are N95 and P95 masks? I used to have a couple of 3M masks from 7/11 that every now and then I think that I should be wearing again when on the motorcycle, but I think that I would suffucate to death if I wear something like that when cycling…

Awesome stuff! 500 in Hawaii, must be the volcanos? 999 in Xinjiang, sandstorms?

It is a neat site and currently my home page :slight_smile:, cos last year we noticed a few hazy days in Hualien and I wanted to keep an eye on when levels increased here.
Always depressing though to move over to Europe and see the sea of green.

Hawaii is interesting. Is there really so much stuff being flung out of the volcanos there?

Avoid walking during rush hour. I only walk home late at night, when there’s little traffic pumping out pollutants.

It is a neat site and currently my home page :slight_smile:, cos last year we noticed a few hazy days in Hualian and I wanted to keep an eye on when levels increased here.
Always depressing though to move over to Europe and see the sea of green.

Hawaii is interesting. Is there really so much stuff being flung out of the volcanos there?[/quote]

You can get 400-500 readings in winter in places like New Zealand if the whole neigjborhood has wood fires. I imagine a volcano would easily knock the charts up.

Awesome stuff! 500 in Hawaii, must be the volcanos? 999 in Xinjiang, sandstorms?[/quote]
Bangkok has cleaner air than Taipei??

Cool stuff!

In some ways that makes sense, but I can’t even wear the lightest of gauze masks when exercising. If I’m trying to get a workout while wearing one of those heavier masks, I’d probably feel like I was asphyxiating.

The thing is … so what? You going to stay home next to your air purifier all day? This fcking idiot in my old office used to stick her head up, meercat-like, and shout out the AQI site readings as if we could all hold our breaths for a week. :laughing: