Christian Tried to Convert Me

Living in Taiwan you meet lots of people so it’s no surprise to meet those of who have strong faith in one denomination or another. I respect these people for their choices, as long as they respect my choice of not belonging to any specific faith.

About six months ago I met a guy who is a Christian. I didn’t know it until I met him another few times. We had common interests and we both like to drink and smoke herb. One day he asked me if I wanted to go to his church and I said I would think about it. Most of his friends were like us, laid back and loved to drink beer. So I figured what the hell? I’ll give it a shot.

After I went to a few services at this particular Christian church (actually just a very large, bright room above a restaurant with a few siderooms for parents with kids etc.), I decided that becoming a regular member of this congregation was not for me. I really had no intention of becoming a Christian. But I thought if this new friend of mine was a member, it can’t be all that overwhelming. Actually it was.

The man leading the service made it very clear that there were only two choices in life; be with Jesus and if you’re not, you’re a sinner. There is no gray area with this faith, evidently.

Despite not becoming a regular at this church, I continued to hang out with my new friend because of our common interests and he is just a really nice, friendly person. However, he peppers his conversation and opinions with the apocalypse, and how the New World Order will soon take control of all of us. He also speaks a little bit too much about his faith and how all consuming his devotion is and why he is devoted etc. It was becoming awkward for me.

I’m not saying he tried to convert me every single time we got together, but he never let me forget what he was really all about and whom he really answers to. I hope I’m making sense here.

Anyway, I hadn’t been to this church for months and said a few times that I just wasn’t interested. But he never let it go. Finally, last night became too much and he tried his best to change my mind. I had let him know as politely as possible that it wasn’t going to happen. But he continued arguing his case to be a Christian. It was embarrassing.

Just as I was leaving he blurted out: “You do believe in God don’t you?” It was such an obvious last ditch, desperate attempt to make me feel guilty and squirm that I didn’t even answer him.

The whole thing has left me a little sad. I mean, here was a guy whom I had struck up a new friendship with, yet he seemed to have no problem throwing away that friendship in a desperate attempt to make me a Christian. What is it with these people? I politely told him in no uncertain terms that I wasn’t interested yet he persisted. I just don’t get it. Why can’t he just be happy in his life and not worry about others who are not Christian? Why can’t we just be friends?

The other thing that I find a little dubious is the fact that he drinks like a fish and smokes dope like a hippie. He has his regular ‘party nights’ away from his wife and two kids, yet he says he is a Christian. I have no idea what the code of conduct is among them, but I would think there would have to be moderation on the stimulants among the congregation. Whatever.

I just want to know what some Forumosans would do in this situation. I’m inclined not to visit him again, but not avoid him in social situations. I just don’t want to be cornered again. I honestly can’t believe he had the audacity to do that last night. Anyone with their eyes wide open could take a good look at my actions over the last six months, regarding the Christian faith, and know that I’m not interested.

It was probably the weed. Don’t you know it rots the brain? That’s what obviously happened to him. The demon weed.

I think you are making the rights choice ending this friendship. I would expect a guy who smokes weed and has “party nights” be a bit more relaxed about his friend not showing interest in joining his church.

Change the word “this” to “his” and I’ll agree. I’m a Christian. I’m not ashamed of it, and I’ll tell anyone who asks. I don’t go out of my way to convert anyone, though. Some Christians would disagree with my approach, some wouldn’t. Live and let live, I say. My faith makes my life better. Other people get their spiritual nourishment in other ways. That’s fine by me. There are many kinds of Christians and churches out there. Don’t believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

People who put their religion above everything else scare me. Maoman doesn’t.

Some of the phoniest people I have ever met have been Christians, and some of the most up-front stand up folks I have met have been Christians as well. The same goes with just about any faith or lack thereof if you ask me. Sounds to me like you met a phony.

If what he had seemed so great there wouldn’t be an issue, would there?

Erh say that again… :loco: :loco: :astonished: :astonished:

Soon these type demand you start going to their churches… of course when yu refuse it’s because you need the " christian treament"

Soon they will tie you down then when you refuse to name jesus as your saviour they will perform an exorcism on you. You know laying of hands and ll that stuff. You’’ be talking in tongues and stuff oh yeah.

Rather scary are those christians who need to dominate your thought processes with the end of the world war stories.

I tell you what… Moaman and I don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things but not once has he brought up his religous conviction to any conversation. I admire people who keep to their convictions. They have their beliefs I have mine but we don;t insist that others share our beliefs.

I must say thought that I have met many Canadian christians who like to smoke dope.

Maybe smoking dope lessons the pain before being crucified.

Another one is the GAY chrisitan movement… an oxymoron really. Gay chrisitians my arse.

Says in the bible right there about gays… IT IS AN ABOMINATION. Can’t get a much clearermessage thatn that.

God must be feeling the PC pressure nowadays lol

Now you run along cause you new found friend might just be another serial killer in disguise.

Sounds like some of the wack jobs on here.

Write it off, chalk it up to experience and keep on walking.

I’ll send you a bill.

I think you’re right in ending this friendship, but if i were in your shoes i would not stop there.

In the bible, it is said that you have to belong to only one wife in your whole life, marriage is one of the 3 or 4 major sacraments. Breaking it is almost like renting a room in hell directly from the devil.

So firt of all, i would face him to his faith and to the orders his god gave to him…then, i would get clues about the cheating stuff and give (a copy, not the originals, the originals, you keep for yourself in case of emergency later) them to the wife and let her decide what she wants to do.

He claims to be a christian ? He should not have forgotten that his god is a revengefull one, every single christian know that, that if you disobey him , you’ll end right in hell. Tell him that, and then please, tell me his reaction.

wonder didn’t say anything about the guy cheating on his wife in his post.
Did he?

Change the word “this” to “his” and I’ll agree. I’m a Christian. I’m not ashamed of it, and I’ll tell anyone who asks. I don’t go out of my way to convert anyone, though. Some Christians would disagree with my approach, some wouldn’t. Live and let live, I say. My faith makes my life better. Other people get their spiritual nourishment in other ways. That’s fine by me. There are many kinds of Christians and churches out there. Don’t believe anyone who tells you otherwise.[/quote]Right. I was brought up C of E (my Dad was a vicar for some time) and took some great theology/church history courses at Uni. In that time I met a lot of very thoughtful, intelligent Christians, and nobody like the guy mentioned above. After ceasing to be a Christian, I also met some great people who were Catholics, none of whom tried to convert me!

Of course I realise that there are lots of extremists out there (and a fair few mixed-up people like the one described). But that’s by no means the whole picture.

[quote=“wonder”]So I figured what the hell? I’ll give it a shot.

[/quote]

everything after this point is easily predictable.

Lookit this way. God says all men have sinned, be they noble or savage. All have come short of the glory of God. And since God cannot stand any trace of evil, however microscopic he decided that Jesus should suffer on our behalf. Therefore when you stand in the presence of God on the day of your judgement you have Jesus as your lawyer.

IT doesnt change that you are actually an asshole, and still sin even though you believe. IT means though that if you follow the bible you should be less of an asshole. Many believers are working on that one and many are failing badly.

Those that dont accept what Jesus has done freely for them, dont have Him as a lawyer on their behalf come their meeting with the Almighty.

tommy525s synopsis . And yes tommy525 is an asshole but is reforming as we speak.

Yes, tommy is right, God loves SINNERS, straight sinners and gay/lesbian sinners. I’m not sure why that’s hard to understand, other than the fact that most Christians act “above” most of what they’re below. I don’t blame you, though I’m a Christian, too, for not wanting to be bothered like that again. You did, after all, give his church a go, right? You didn’t just shut him out for having a beliefe that you did not.

When we decide to become Christian, or not to, it’s very personal. Our decisions should all be respected. That’s my Christian opinion, anyway.

And I’d just like to add–I once had exactly the same experiance with a lesbian friend. I still regret the loss of that friendship, but she just couldn’t accept me for who I am and wouldn’t quit trying to come on to me, or stop getting all upset with me when her advances were rejected. It’s too bad. I really liked her as a person.

[quote=“Josefus”]wonder didn’t say anything about the guy cheating on his wife in his post.
Did he?[/quote]

“he has his regular ‘party nights’ away from his wife and two kids”

Thats what wonder said, i understood it as cheating parties…have i been wrong ?

[quote=“wonder”]
The other thing that I find a little dubious is the fact that he drinks like a fish and smokes dope like a hippie. He has his regular ‘party nights’ away from his wife and two kids, yet he says he is a Christian. I have no idea what the code of conduct is among them, but I would think there would have to be moderation on the stimulants among the congregation. Whatever. [/quote]

It would seem that said chap is more or less overcompensating, using Christianity as a prop to bolster his own moral vacuity. Falling back on something, a familiar belief system to keep him from staring into the vast abyss.
Truly, one can’t believe in any religion, in a genuine fashion, unless one intrinsically believes in oneself.

I am a Christian too, sometimes I get a little too pushy about getting people to come to Christ. I think however some of us do feel that we need to let the gospel be known while others will spread it out of their own selfish ambition. I think the friend was right in letting you know the word, however he was wrong in not respecting your decision when you decided not to get into it. I didn’t become Christian due to some missionary friend or even any Christian friend, but I came to Christ because I decided to, and at the time I had not been in contact with any Christians.

I do feel that the friend has good intention because he does care for you as a person, however the decision to follow or deny Christ is a personal one, and no amount of persuasion or coercion or whatever will change that. I do not like Christians who forces other, or guilts other (both is just as bad) to accept Christ because they do not produce a true follower of Christ, but just people who says something to save themselves. I don’t like anyone who uses guilt trip to make anyone do anything, because Jesus never guilted anyone into following him, why should any of us? One can see clearly that in the Bible Jesus often healed people, raised the dead, fed thousands, and etc, and at times people asked him what must be done to follow him, and when the person does not want to follow, Jesus never tried to guilt him. Read the part where it says a man asked Jesus what must he done to be saved, Jesus said to follow the law (actually its a list of things like don’t kill and etc but you get the idea), the person said he has done all of these things. Jesus then said “sell all your things and give the money to the poor and follow me” and the man went away sad, because he was rich. However note Jesus never said anything like “well if you don’t do this you are going to hell” or whatever to that effect, or even said anything about being of help to the poor. He simply respected his decision and let him go.

Remember that Christians are people too and we are all just as much as a sinner as everyone else, and no one has any more right to boast than anyone else. Many Christians try and fail to be what Christians should be, but our goal is to be like Christ. I am sorry that the friend has offended you in such way but I do implore you to continuously seek the truth, and whatever your decision may be, I will respect it.

Although most of your post reveals a more open mind than my friend who tried to convert me, it’s the language you use or that is instilled in you by the Christian faith that reveals a deeply rooted philosophy. You say “follow or deny Christ.”

Deny is usually associated with the negative. Follow sound more positive, comparably speaking. So in your post, it is apparent to me that no matter which way you spin it, you indirectly make people feel as though they are doing something wrong because they are “denying Chirst.” It may not be your intention, but that’s how it comes out.

Wouldn’t it be more neutral to simply say you want to follow Christ or don’t want to follow Christ? I stand by my OP that emphasizes how some Christians (not all), and those of other faiths use language designed to make those around them who do not belong to a faith feel like they’re not worthy unless they do. Especially if those people are insecure to begin with. It’s a key factor in recruiting and converting.

One must listen carefully to the message, not the messenger. :wink:

I don’t get some Christians. Why do they feel they have to convert people and make them come to Church?
Is it to re-enforce their beliefs? To justify their way of life.
Do the preachers tell them you have to get X amount of people in this month, so go out there and convert.
Do they get a commission?

Do the Mormons in Taiwan have a monthly target for converts?

A local friend told me she was subjected to a tirade of abuse from one, for rejecting his invitation. He said, ‘We come to your country and we’re here to save you, you could show some respect and come to our Church’.

I’ve never had a Jew come up to me and say ‘You want to walk to Temple on Saturday and join us?’
Or a Hindu, Muslim, etc.

But what is it with some Christians?

[quote=“cake”]I don’t get some Christians. Why do they feel they have to convert people and make them come to Church?
Is it to re-enforce their beliefs? To justify their way of life.
Do the preachers tell them you have to get X amount of people in this month, so go out there and convert.
Do they get a commission?

Do the Mormons in Taiwan have a monthly target for converts?

A local friend told me she was subjected to a tirade of abuse from one, for rejecting his invitation. He said, ‘We come to your country and we’re here to save you, you could show some respect and come to our Church’.

I’ve never had a Jew come up to me and say ‘You want to walk to Temple on Saturday and join us?’
Or a Hindu, Muslim, etc.

But what is it with some Christians?[/quote]

Yes we get a commission when we get to heaven. Christians are commanded to spread the good news about Christ dying for your sins so that you can be saved. And the more a true Christian you are on earth the better a person you SHOULD BE as well.

The payoff is big !!! BIG I tell you. We dont get to collect on nada till lata but hey, its what we suppose to do man !