Chronic Sore Throat? Help!

Hi all. As long as I can remember, i’ve had terrible sore throats. My tonsils are extra sensitive and i honestly believe I have some level of throat uncomfort something like 60-70% of my LIFE. Usually people have sore throats for like a few days, and then they recover completely right? For me, no way, it’s pretty much a continous thing, just varies by level of seriousness. Sometimes it bad strep throat, sometimes just sore, other times its itchy/scrathy/phelgmy. Sometimes it’s no one side only and sometimes it’s both. It’s especially horrible in the couple hours right after I wake up.

Now I am getting real sick of this. I thought sore throats are supposed to be like a minor side effect of some other illness? And strep throats only last a few days and then its gone? But for me, throat problems are the primary and only problem, ie I am completely heathy, jumping around and feeling energetic, neither coming down with a cold nor recovering from one, just completely healthy BUT with a freakin sore throat all the time. In fact I am pretty healthy overall, getting sick only maybe once or twice a year like any other healthy individual, BUT WITH A FREAKIN CONSTANT SORE THROAT. ARrrghghh i wanna scream but my throat hurts. When I look in the mirror, it’s just ALWAYS swollen. Obviously been to the docs like a million times, but usually they just diagnose it as a minor sore throat and give me some throat drops and painkillers and tell me to go home. Of course I drink massive amounts of liquids but it doesn’t help.

When I was young, my family didnt’ have the money for me to have the tonsil operation. Now I am thinking of doing it, but am just way too busy. So I have a few questions for the folks here:

1. Does anyone else out there have chronic throat problems? Suggestion or advice for me?
  2. Has anyone gotten their tonsils taken out when they are older, like over 25? Are there complications as you get older? I heard its one of those things you have to get done when you’re a kid.
  3. How long is the recovery time? After the operation, will your throat problems disappear?
  4. How much does it cost in Taiwan? With local NHI?

Thanks!

I had my tonsils removed when I was 18, which is much older than average. The doctor warned me that it hurts A LOT to get them removed as an adult, but it was well worth it in the long run for me. When I had tonsils, I used to get strep throat and tonsilitis several times a year. Now, I almost never even get a cold.

If you’re suffering from a chronic sore throat, it sounds like you’d be a prime candidate for a tonsillectomy. Be prepared to be in pain every time you swallow for about a week, but after that it will be smooth sailing.

I see…that might be just what I’ll do…I’ll go get some advice from a doc and see…cuz I am already close to 30. Just been putting to off for way too long.

Can you tell me a bit more about your experience? Like, other than the throat pain, is everything else fuinctional? Can you eat everything? Can you sleep and excercise? The rest of your body and your head feels fine right? Thanks.

[quote=“aceman”]I see…that might be just what I’ll do…I’ll go get some advice from a doc and see…cuz I am already close to 30. Just been putting to off for way too long.

Can you tell me a bit more about your experience? Like, other than the throat pain, is everything else fuinctional? Can you eat everything? Can you sleep and excercise? The rest of your body and your head feels fine right? Thanks.[/quote]

I had mine out last year at age 32 and, as mentioned, it hurts like nothing imaginable. You will probably be restricted to a liquid diet for at least a week or two. As for sleep, as long as they give you the proper pain medication, it shouldn’t be a problem. Discuss pain relief with your doctor before they send you home. There’s a fairly long thread on this subject here somewhere.

This is generally a day surgery in Canada but they keep you in the hospital 3-4 days here. I assume this is so the hospital can collect from NHI more than anything else, although they will tell you it’s because they fear you will bleed.

I had it done as same-day outpatient surgery, but afterward was pretty much out of commision for a whole week. And as navillus said, you won’t be able to eat solid food for quite a while either. It does hurt, but I’d do it again for the long term benefit, and if you need to lose any weight getting a tonsillectomy is a great way to start on it!

Tonsillectomies are usually considered unnecessary now. 40 years ago, sure, it was normal for kids to get them, but not now.
I wonder if your problem isn’t the air pollution in Taiwan? I was awfully sick for the first few months I was living in Taipei - one doctor said that I was just allergic to the air.

Bababa, not sure where you got your information from, but tonsillectomy is the only known effective cure for chronic tonisilitis. It may well be cause by the air, but nothing you or I can do about it. There are antibiotic treatments that usually are not very effective over the long haul, and plus it’s not a good idea pumping your body full of strong meds for the rest of your life.

For those tho had the surgery, thanks for sharing. It’s very useful info. Were you guys able to eat solid foods at all? What if you can take the pain? Will eating solids make you bleed? I heard that’s a risk.

Also, afterwards, did you guys ever have any problems with your throats anymore? It’s just gone right? no complications?

How much did it cost?

Thanks.

Dr.s do hate to do them now. I had mine done when I was 18 and my brother at 14. It did hurt for a few days (but not a week for me) and was worth it. And stock up on Jello and food like drinks (carnation instant breakfast)! I’m sure you get Conji and fluff here :frowning:

You might have to be insistent with the Dr to get it done. And remove all other options first. The air here is bad. Did you get this back in (??country) too?

Ah… Just do it, you will be a better being for it :slight_smile:

[quote=“bababa”]Tonsillectomies are usually considered unnecessary now. 40 years ago, sure, it was normal for kids to get them, but not now.
I wonder if your problem isn’t the air pollution in Taiwan? I was awfully sick for the first few months I was living in Taipei - one doctor said that I was just allergic to the air.[/quote]

This is just plain silly. THere are still indications for having the tonsils removed, so much so that there are actually pediatric otolaryngologists who do a whole bunch of these surgeries.

[url]Indications for tonsillectomy:[/url=http://www.entusa.com/tonsillectomy_surgery.htm][quote]1. Patients with 3 or more infections of tonsils and/or adenoids per year despite adequate medical therapy.
2. Hypertrophy (enlargement) causing dental malocclusion or adversely affecting oral-facial (mouth-face) growth documented by orthodontist.
3. Hypertrophy causing upper airway obstruction (sleep apnea) View Abstract View Abstract, severe dysphagia (trouble swallowing), sleep disorders, or cardiopulmonary complications.
4. Peritonsillar abscess unresponsive to medical management and drainage documented by surgeon, unless surgery performed during acute stage. View Surgery Video
5. Persistent foul taste or breath due to chronic tonsillitis not responsive to medical therapy.
6. Chronic or recurrent tonsillitis associated with the streptococcal carrier state and not responding to beta-lactamase-resistant antibiotics.
7. Unilateral tonsil hypertrophy presumed euplastic. Although without other indications (abnormal appearance, physical examination, symptoms or history) most asymmetries can be followed conservatively. View Abstract
8. Recurrent acute otitis media or chronic serous otitis media. Adenoidectomy should not be performed with the insertion of the first set of myringotomy (ear) tubes unless there is another indication for adenoidectomy besides chronic otitis media. However, repeat surgery for chronic otitis media should consist of adenoidectomy with myringotomy (with or without myringotomy (ear) tube placement.) View Abstract[/quote]

It is supposed to be more uncomfortable for adults than for children to undergo tonsillectomy. This is a guess on my part, but perhaps it is because more tissue is removed in adults (adult tonsils are larger= more tissue).

Possible complications:

In the U.S., this surgery is done “same day” and as an outpatient. The only reason people are admitted to hospital for overnight stay/observation is when they can not keep fluids down in the recovery room or have intractable pain. Not very common.

Bodo

Aceman wrote

[quote]For those tho had the surgery, thanks for sharing. It’s very useful info. Were you guys able to eat solid foods at all? What if you can take the pain? Will eating solids make you bleed? I heard that’s a risk.
[/quote]

I had mine removed to cure sleep apnea. I also had some flesh removed from the sides of my throat which made my case even more painful and the recovery time longer. I actually went almost a whole month without eating solid foods.
For at least the first few days they will probably tell you to stick to liquids. After that you can gradually start getting back to solids, first eating very soft foods like rice and noodles.

None at all. But again tonsilitis wasn’t my issue.

My bill was around 45 000 NT without insurance but I paid 9000. This included 4 days in the hospital at 1200 a night plus meals, so if it’s not necessary to stay at the hospital it should be quite cheap.

Thanks for sharing. Will seriously be looking into this. Unfortunately after some research, most of the post-op experiences I’ve read sounds horrible. Like extreme pain for 2 weeks, can’t do anything during that time but stay in bed, fevers, bleeding, etc. Pretty much sucks…Now i need to somehow take 2 weeks off work to do this…

I hope our posts don’t discourage you from doing it, aceman. Post-op sucked for me, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be a terrible experience.

My sister had her tonsils removed a few years after me when she was in her 20’s. I warned her about the pain, but she was out eating pizza 3 or 4 days later just to prove me wrong. Do like her, channel your pain into willfull stubborness and maybe it won’t be so bad. :slight_smile:

You have misunderstood or have gotten a skewed perspective from those who chose to answer your questions (only those who had negative experiences responded, or few of those with positive/neutral experiences responded). One of the keys to quick recovery and reduced pain is hydration. The more fluids you take in the less painful it is and the quicker you recover. DRINK DRINK DRINK!!! I have been working as a Ear, Nose and Throat Nurse Practitioner for the past 2 years, so I think that qualifies me to answer your questions authoritatively. Bleeding occurs in less than 1% of those who have the operation. Infections - the risk is less - due to the prophylactic antibiotics you will receive during and after the surgery. Try to find a surgeon who cuts/scalpel the tonsils out rather than the more popular cautery/burning them out. The surgeon I worked for believed it was less painful to cut than to cauterize (though in the States, cautery is more common/the newer method). Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Bodo

Thanks guys for the info. Yea to be honest I am pretty scared haha. Originally I thought it would be a 3-4 day thing, like I can do it on a friday, take monday and tuesday off work and be up and running by Wed. And I thought i’ll just be like have a sore throat for a few days, but in fact it’s a lot worse? But looks like it’ll be 2 weeks for recovery? I’ve been doing research online, and ppl say they have fevers, horrible pain, pain in ear and head, can’t sleep, etc. Some ppl said they have throats so swollen they can’t lie down or they’d choke???

Also, I remember when I got my wisdom tooth pulled I had a pretty bad pain for like 4 or 5 days, which is a lot more serious compared to others, and that’s not a good sign of course.

And of course i am super busy at work and can’t even take that many days off. It’s so hard to do this as a 30 year old working person, when i’m focusing on my career. Well i’ll have to do more research and see. I am soooo sick of the constant throat problems. Everytime it starts hurting i wish i had the operation, but then as soon as I get better I put it off. It’s a vicious cycle.

Do you guys have some more positive recovery stories to share?

[quote=“aceman”]Thanks guys for the info. Yea to be honest I am pretty scared haha. Originally I thought it would be a 3-4 day thing, like I can do it on a friday, take monday and tuesday off work and be up and running by Wed. And I thought i’ll just be like have a sore throat for a few days, but in fact it’s a lot worse? But looks like it’ll be 2 weeks for recovery? I’ve been doing research online, and people say they have fevers, horrible pain, pain in ear and head, can’t sleep, etc. Some people said they have throats so swollen they can’t lie down or they’d choke???

Also, I remember when I got my wisdom tooth pulled I had a pretty bad pain for like 4 or 5 days, which is a lot more serious compared to others, and that’s not a good sign of course.

And of course i am super busy at work and can’t even take that many days off. It’s so hard to do this as a 30 year old working person, when i’m focusing on my career. Well i’ll have to do more research and see. I am soooo sick of the constant throat problems. Everytime it starts hurting i wish i had the operation, but then as soon as I get better I put it off. It’s a vicious cycle.

Do you guys have some more positive recovery stories to share?[/quote]

Did you read the above post???
The stuff you are reading is the EXCEPTION to the rule. I have seen countless adults get their tonsils out and you go home the SAME day, you can work the next day if you feel like it. It does take about a 8-10 days to get back to 100% of your base line, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go to work or eat normal food.

[quote]Tonsillectomy is usually done on an outpatient basis, with the patient returning home the same day as the surgery. Rarely, patients are observed overnight in the hospital and return home the day after the surgery. Complete recovery can take 2 weeks.

Expect some throat and ear pain in the first days following surgery. The use of ice packs to relieve pain may be helpful, and sucking on an ice cube or eating ice cream may provide adequate comfort. In addition, pain-relief medication may be prescribed. During recovery, it is recommended to eat soft, easy-to-swallow food and to drink a lot of cold fluids.[/quote]

[quote]How long should you take off work? If you have a desk job, you may be ready to go back after a week to 10 days. If physical exertion is part of your work, I would be much more cautious than this. This also applies to resumption of daily activities. Anything that might tend to increase your blood pressure (exercise, strenuous chores, sex, and so forth) could cause a hemorrhage. Once again, discuss these issues in detail with your surgeon.
You will have some swelling within your mouth. The tongue and uvula occasionally swell following a tonsillectomy. Bruising is very uncommon. (If you bruise or bleed easily, you must share this with your doctor! Also, if you are taking aspirin or nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen), you must tell your doctor. Give your doctor a very complete list of all of your medications, including vitamins and herbal remedies. You would be surprised how many different things can decrease one’s ability to clot.) [/quote]

[quote]What will I experience following the procedure?

1. You will feel tired following the procedure because of the anesthetic and pain medication you have been given.

2. You will have some soreness of the throat. The pain may get worse before it gets better. It is important to take your pain medication as prescribed by your surgeon. With the sore throat you may not feel like taking anything by mouth. Even so, you must drink fluids. A cool mist humidifier can be soothing for your throat.

3. You may experience pain in your ears. This is common during the first week.

4. You will have bad breath from scabs where the tonsils were removed. These scabs fall off in about 7 to 10 days, and your breath odor will return to normal. Do not gargle, as this will hurt and may cause bleeding. Rinse your mouth with any antiseptic mouthwash.

5. Diet: eating may not be possible right away. The first day you should favour: clear fluids such as water, apple juice, Gatorade, and popsicles. Avoid: citrus juices and carbonated beverages (colas) because they may cause increased pain and throat irritation. After a few days start trying foods that are easy to swallow. Favour: Jello, soft noodles, warm broth, puddings, yogurt, and ice cream. Avoid: steamy, hot, or spicy foods or hard, crunchy foods.

6. Avoid constipation, be sure you include plenty of liquids in your diet. You may require a mild laxative.

7. You may return to work in about 1-2 weeks. Most adults need about 1 week to recuperate and return to a more normal diet.

What should I avoid following my tonsillectomy?

1. You are not to drive a motor vehicle for 24-48 hours. Follow your physician’s instruction regarding any alternate or additional restrictions.

2. You must have a responsible adult accompany you home and stay with you over night.

3. No beer or alcohol for 24 hours.

4. Do not sign legal documents or make important decisions for 24 hours.

5. Do not operate machinery or perform tasks requiring skill, coordination, or judgement within 24 hours after your procedure.

6. Do no participate in any physical fitness or contact sports for 10 days to 2 weeks.[/quote]

Aceman: My neighbor had a chronic sore throat. No treatment could get rid of it. He found out it was a huge cancerous tumor and had to have it removed. He was devastated and had to go back home for treatment. I think he was in his 50’s and didn’t even smoke. You had better get a check for that too to be safe. I heard he is better now and back in Taiwan.

Thanks guys for the input.

Hobart…your friends thing sounds pretty scary…did he have any other symptoms?? For me, needless to say, have been to the ENT docs for many times, and they’ve seen my throat many times…never any indication of cancer…well i guess i better check again.

For the rest of the folks, even if I get the op it won’t be for another half year maybe. So in the meantime, are there any remedies or meds that you guys can recommend? Of course the regular painkillers and throat lozenges dont’ work for us “chronic” sore throat victims. Anything STRONG that might do the trick?

And also, my bad tonsil is mainly on one side, the other one is not so bad. Have you guys ever heard of anytihng like that?