Chunghua's Telecom's pricing system

What is the logic?

Using Chunghua Telecom it costs nearly twice as much, if not more, to call the Philippines and Thailand as it does to call North America. North American workers generally earn a lot more than Thai and Filipino resident workers in Taiwan. Both Thailand and the Philippines are a lot closer geographically than North America. I doubt there are more North Americans here in Taiwan than Thais and Filipinos put together.

I realise costs of calls using the local Telecom to South Africa are just plain outrageous.

If this has been done before ,sorry but I did search for both Chunghua Searching for Telecom brought up 18 pages. I think I’ve seen the company name using every vowel after h apart from i and e.

That’s why most workers from those countries call from a public phone with a special discount rate card … or have cell phone to be called from home :wink:

I don’t think Chunghwa gives 2 hoots about the South Africans or Filipinos, quite frankly. What they do care about is their local folks. And there ain’t too many locals calling SA or the Philippines. But every person here has a brother / aunt / cousin in the US, Canada or the mainland / Singapore / Malaysia. Hence the rate structure.

The fact that this benefits the foreigners from the US or Canada is just an aside.

[quote=“DSN”]I don’t think Chunghwa (Zhonghua) gives 2 hoots about the South Africans or Filipinos, quite frankly. What they do care about is their local folks. And there ain’t too many locals calling SA or the Philippines. But every person here has a brother / aunt / cousin in the US, Canada or the mainland / Singapore / Malaysia. Hence the rate structure.

The fact that this benefits the foreigners from the US or Canada is just an aside.[/quote] Sorry, but I don’t feel that’s entirely true. Unless of course the migrant factory workers come here looking for work first but I don’t think that’s the case.

I know of a number of Taiwanese living in Thailand.

You’re in Taiwan.

If you want logic, you’re on the wrong island.

I wouldn’t be so sure.

Besides, with the Chunghwa Telecom’s phone and adsl phone dictatorship (every company goes through CT’s lines, so one way or anothr they’re profiting) - there are two pricing systems around:

rip you off

and

rip you off some more.

Hmm. In the US, calls to the US are a lot cheaper than calls to Thailand and the Philippines too.

A lot of it has to do with how developed the phone network is at the target location. That’s why the Pincity rates http://www.pincity.com/rates.asp are about a third as much for calls to Bangkok as to Thailand generally, and a lot cheaper for Manila than general Philippines calls – it is simply more expensive to provide that service to a less-developed area. Calling-card companies can get around this somewhat depending on the deal they work out with their target countries, but a general-purpose phone service company probably wouldn’t see a good return on the effort.

Of course there’s other factors too. But if Chunghwa could increase their profits by dropping rates and increasing the amount of service they sell, I’m sure they would.

You’re in Taiwan.

If you want logic, you’re on the wrong island.

I wouldn’t be so sure.

[/quote]Ric, you’re saying the supply and demand logic is possible in your second comment and contradicting your first comment. That’s how it logically works for most businesses. Supply and demand makes for cheaper goods and services for consumers.

Yisha’ou’s post made sense from a business perspective.