CIA operatives in Taiwan

Haven’t been around here in awhile and was horrified to find out from my counterpart spy (TC) last night at the Happy Hour that Margaret outted me! Margaret I can’t believe you told everyone my BIG SECRET here on the forums!

Whatever you do, please do NOT tell Gus!

Christine is one of those webmasters hanging out with the NSA satellite dishes at the “Academia Sinicia” eavesdropping facilities, again?

It is even better than the Chinese grapevine.

taiwanstatus, I’m afraid that if I tell you… I’d have to kill you.

Please don’t make me have to do that.

Spies. They’re everywhere. But they won’t tell you they’re spies. Not in a million years. If the Taiwanese government found out, they’d be in for some deep shit. They don’t work at AIT. Do you really believe the US government would be stupid enough to place a spy in a US government position? No, they’re much less obvious than that. The spies are the average foreigners working in average jobs. They’re the same ones that drink coffee at Starbucks and get down at at the discos. They ride the MRT, and sit next to you on the bus. And you can wrack your brains all you want…but you’re never going to know who the spies are. If you really want to know, though…just ask your roommate.

quote[quote] Please don't make me have to do that. [/quote]

Oh please do tell!! I’ve got an incurable death wish for just that by a secret agent webmistress.

Well, it’s not Taibei, but it’s spy related news today:

(and she worked as a secretary at the Oz embassy, so why can’t that happen at AIT here? sure can…)

Evdokia Petrov, Former Soviet Spy Who Defected to Australia, Dead at 88

Associated Press Writer
Jul 26, 2002

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Evdokia Petrov, a spy for the Soviet Union who defected to Australia in 1954, has died in Melbourne. She was 88.
Petrov, who lived in Australia for 48 years under the name Maria Anna Allyson, died July 19 following an operation on her back, Australian media reported Friday.

The office of Attorney General Daryl Williams confirmed Petrov’s death and said her funeral was on Monday.

Petrov and her husband Vladimir made international headlines when they defected to Australia in 1954 at the height of the Cold War.

Vladimir Petrov was the third secretary at the Soviet embassy in Australia. He was also covertly serving as a KGB spy.

Evdokia Petrov was the embassy’s accountant and secretary, with covert responsibility for deciphering and writing coded messages exchanged between the embassy and Moscow.

But after three years, Vladimir Petrov became disillusioned with the Soviet Union and decided to defect, former Australian intelligence agent Michael Thwaites told Australian media.

A few weeks after Petrov’s defection, armed Soviet agents abducted his wife and put her on a flight bound for Moscow. She was being returned against her will to face the repercussions of her husband’s defection.

Australian police dramatically snatched her from the Soviets when the plane stopped for fuel in the northern city of Darwin.

Vladimir died in Melbourne in 1991. He was 84.

Details of surviving family members were not immediately available.

quote:
Originally posted by Bu Lai En: CIA often uses international aid agencies. Any of those in Taiwan?

Bri

The operative(s) have to have almost native or native fluency in Chinese. They may pretend to know little or no Chinese though.
One very wholesome character who knows Chinese and works for an international organization (but has an administration position not involved with the org’s mission) in southern Taiwan is suspect. There must be 3 or 4 (maybe 5) of them at least considering this being one of the political hotspots of the world.
It would be so easy to work as an English teacher 20 hours a week and have plenty of roaming time.
Oriented.org would be a great info gathering tool for an agent. Which points the finger back to the webmasters.
Imagine how much the Internet coupled with key word-scanning programs have changed spy tactics! Fascinating stuff!
One thing we should keep in mind is that most of the info spys gather is incidental, but could come in handy in covert operations. That’s why spies are often reporters.
What covert operation would the CIA carry out in Taiwan? Do they want to know where the drug money is going? How much money is made in drugs? Who is dealing weapons with Taiwan and what kind of deal they are cutting? Are there many spys? How can they find them?
There are so many possibilities.

Mo’ Joe:

Great post! You got goosebumps running everywhere.

I’m a spy. Send me USD $5 (or $60,000 Australian Dollars) and I’ll send you a packet on how YOU TOO can join the ranks of the CIA. For USD $10 (or $200,000 Canadian Dollars) I’ll send you a packet on joining the NSA. I would send you a packet on joining the FBI, but no one takes them seriously anymore since that one pantyhose incident, so don’t waste your time with them.

FB
Section Chief, “Purple Giraffe” Unit
XSB-12951-Y8UIR, #12 “A, not B”

I hope they’re more inconspicuous than those ‘undercover’ people near the president’s office, All wearing the same clothes, with the same posture. Do they think we don’t notice them ?

Yeah, but don’t you think they’re kinda cute with their little Gucci purses?

(They all carry these, each of which contains a cellphone and a pistol).

Remember that movie with Clint Eastwood as a presidential bodyguard? Wouldn’t it have been so much better if those granite-faced bodyguards running alongside the president’s limo had all been carrying … um … handbags? That always makes me smile.

US Senate: The China Plan
http://govt-aff.senate.gov/2chap.pdf

What does a China or Taiwan operative look like?

http://www.politicalamazon.com/bush-chinese.html

Sorry I asked.

Yeah, but don’t you think they’re kinda cute with their little Gucci purses?

Are this the same guys which are also armed with a fire extinguisher?

CIA operatives hypnotized the developers of this Web site and told them to create this forum. It’s true, it’s true!

Spy trivia:

I was recently translating a (mainland) Chinese book on information warfare, and they made the claim that 90% of a country’s intelligence information comes from open sources (that is, newspapers, magazines, radio broadcasts and so forth). Only about 10% of it is “clandestine” these days according to them.

There’s patriotism and there’s patriotism…but holding down a job at a buxiban for anything more than a year in order to be a spy in your free time is something they should award the Medal of Honor for!!

Terry

quote:
Originally posted by sandman: Yeah, but don't you think they're kinda cute with their little Gucci purses?

(They all carry these, each of which contains a cellphone and a pistol).

How do you know this, did they let you have a look ? Would they let me look in their little girlie handbags if I ask them ? Maybe they should get those little tiny silver handbags ?

There are people at the AIT collating news from public sources and sending it back to the USA.

quote:
Originally posted by MatthewH:

There are people at the AIT collating news from public sources and sending it back to the USA.

Well done Matthew! Now we all know what the embassy does - there is no need for them to operate - world peace - AT LAST!

On the topic of Red China operatives, I just remember one night I took a taxi and the driver was unmistakably from China. I’m quite certain he was not waishengren. Great cover! He can drive anywhere and peek around without being noticed.

They always have slicked hair, perfect black suits, aviator sunglasses, black gloves, breifcases full of high-tech weaponry, and those cool earphones with the little wire hanging out. Keep your eyes open, they’re all over Taipei!

My Yale roommate was born in Macau and speaks fluent Cantonese. She has lived in the US since she was two. She got a letter from either the FBI or the CIA asking her to an interview right out of the blue about two years out of school when she was working for one of the top corporate law firms in NYC.