Cinco de Mayo?

So, I was trying to explain to my secretaries that today is a popular holiday in Mexico.

They assumed that my Spanish was an attempt at Chinese, and they thought I was trying to say, “三個都沒有” or “三狗都沒有”… which naturally confused them…

The fun never stops here…

The French do not share in the festival…heh heh heh.

Mexican history of Cinco de Mayo

We will die, but we will never surrender

Big time around here in Houston. Most of my ESL students are Hispanic, and about 60% of those are Mexican or of mexican decsent. On Saturday nearest the 5th each year, there’s a parade in downtown Houston and other festivities. And every year a couple of students at my school get in trouble for wearing thier “colors” down the hallway. There’s a lot of rivalry here between Mexican and El Salvadorian pride.

I wasn’t aware of the rivalry between Mexicans and El Salvadorans.

Anyway, this thread isn’t really aptly titled. I really just wanted to share one of the many instances of cross-cultural communication difficulties that I find to be humorous (humourous)…

For instance, the other day, my boy was imitating someone and my wife was in tears, laughing at the same. I entered the room and my wife said to me, in English, “our boy should be a Canadian”.

“A Canadian?”, I questioned.

“Yes, yes!” she replied still laughing.

“Why should our boy be a Canadian?”, I asked.

“Because, he’s so funny”, my wife explained.

Well, OK, she was trying to say that our boy should be a comedian… I found that mistake to be more funny than our boy’s imitation…

I sorted my wife out on that score, and she agrees that while we like many Canadians, and indeed have many friends who are Canadians, our boy should probably not be a Canadian when he grows up.

I guess its still OK for him to be a comedian, should he want to do so.

I guess this thread is somewhat similar to the “Funniest things my SO has said” or whatever its titled… but, while I rely heavily on my secretaries for assistance, I cannot really refer to them as my SOs.

Anyone else have funny stories to share?

For what it’s worth, Cinco de Mayo is a US confection, sort of our idea of what a Mexican holiday should be. I think some Mexicans near the border celebrate it, too, but believe me if you drag out your pinatas in Mexico City on May 5 you’ll be feelin’ pretty foolish.

It ain’t really Mexican. This is a common misconception among Americans and Mexico-ignorant Mexicans above the border.

Its not a federal holiday in Mexico… just a regional holiday in the area where Mexican troops defeated French troops in 1860-something.

But, sure, for Mexican Americans, its like Paddy’s day.

Happy holidays. It’s Children’s day in Japan.

As well as the chieflette’s birthday, speaking of apprentice Canadians…

Good call, Doc. It IS children’s day in Japan, but that particular holiday isn’t celebrated with margaritas! Feliz Cinco (still Quatro where I’m at, but who’s counting) De Mayo!

Y Felize cumpleanuos a la Chieflette!

In other news, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer declared Cinco De Mayo to be a day of reconciliation for Arizonans.

“After the past week, I think we all could use a Corona and some celebration. I’m tired of being a political piñata,” said Brewer.

Here we are 2 years after my last post from Houston in May 2008. Now I’m in Tainan.
BTW, Cinco de Mayo is an official holiday in only one state of Mexico, Puebla, where the battle took place.

And the plum rains arrive tomorrow.

[quote=“Tigerman”]“Why should our boy be a Canadian?”, I asked.

“Because, he’s so funny”, my wife explained.[/quote]
Reminds me of when a Taiwanese woman asked me, “Are you a mannequin?” Turned out she wanted to know if I was American.