Citibank: can't open an AC because I don't read Chinese?

The men (Tiger and Sand) have cards??? Maybe credit is tied to flob post count?

I was told the same by the Keelung City Branch.

I called their customer service line, got the English service, and a nice girl told me that was incorrect and that she would pass it on to her supervisors and get it sorted it out, and she did…

Got a call back two hours later, lots of apologies, and was told that HO had called the manager of the Keelung branch and that all had been sorted.

Never bothered to go back though, had already opened an account at another bank (as my hubby reckons Citibank is a crap, high risk bank)

Is this the Kaohsiung branch on Wufu 4th road?

If thats the one, they are morons there because that’s the load of bull they told me.

If not, than more than likely this is a corporate policy.[/quote]

BS! Have an account with Citibank Taipei branch near IKEA. Easy to set up, but need minimum balance of x amount (sorry can’t remember how much exactly now).

[quote=“PostMaster”]

BS![/quote]

Ya, John is probably lying.

:doh:

[quote=“Toe Save”][quote=“PostMaster”]

BS![/quote]

:doh:[/quote]

Some people just communicate their thoughts so…directly.

PostMaster, please keep it friendly here in the Money forum. Something like: “I had a completely different experience” might get you a better response.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Toe Save”][quote=“PostMaster”]

BS![/quote]

PostMaster, please keep it friendly here in the Money forum. Something like: “I had a completely different experience” might get you a better response.[/quote]

Thomas: What are you talking about? BS! for Citibank denying OP an account. Don’t get your panties all up in a bunch.

The foreign banks focus on folks with money and they don’t like dealing with the riff raff including most of us foreigners. They are also very poor for simple things like foreign exchange transactions unless you are a VIP member. They are mostly not worth dealing with, they have few branches and not enough staff either. Local banks like Yushan and Huanan have lots of staff and offer good rates on transactions and also provide foreign exchange accounts. Taiwan Bank is good for foreign exchange transactions. I can’t recommend Chinatrust as they don’t employ enough tellers. Even if you do open a decent account with the foreign banks I bet they dont’ give you much credit anyway, do they even provide mortgages?
If you have lots of cash to invest in insurance or bonds or mutual funds the foreign banks will love you but they will charge you for the priviledge. Hint, if you want to open a real ‘foreign’ account you can go the whole way and open it in Hong Kong and operate it online.

[quote=“PostMaster”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Toe Save”][quote=“PostMaster”]

BS![/quote]

PostMaster, please keep it friendly here in the Money forum. Something like: “I had a completely different experience” might get you a better response.[/quote]

Thomas: What are you talking about? BS! for Citibank denying OP an account. Don’t get your panties all up in a bunch.[/quote]

Ah, now how did you know I’m wearing my Christmas panties today? And they are a bit tight.

Sorry about that PostMaster. I thought you were saying the OP was full of it. I misread you. My apologies.

We had some Belgian banks some years ago in Taiwan, all concentrated on business clients for international transactions and wealth management … so, no accounts as in retail banking …

If foreign tourists can set-up bank accounts, how are they going to deal with the ‘reading Chinese’ part?

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“PostMaster”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Toe Save”][quote=“PostMaster”]

BS![/quote]

Thomas: What are you talking about? BS! for Citibank denying OP an account. Don’t get your panties all up in a bunch.[/quote]

Ah, now how did you know I’m wearing my Christmas panties today? And they are a bit tight.

Sorry about that PostMaster. I thought you were saying the OP was full of it. I misread you. My apologies.[/quote]

Accepted. And my apologies for my colorful language.

I did manage to open one account today at Taiwan Bank in Taoyuan. I went there because that’s where my company has its bank account. They actually checked that my company was actually registered there before processing anything.

They are getting me a visa debit card which is fine for me and that I apparently can use abroad.

I’ve found the overseas banks here to be next to useless for the ordinary individual like you or me. Best bet is a local bank. I would also recommend Mega… they’re among the more knowledgeable and professional.

I have a Citibank CC in my name and my wife did not co-sign nor is she in any way responsible for my debts.[/quote]

And your point is? I also have a CC in my own name. I was responding to a poster who said his wife got him the card.

Not quite true… If you have at least NTD 3 million , then you can open an account at HSBC. :smiley:

You DO NOT need 3 M to open a HSBC account. No minimum. HSBC Direct is available to all. U.S. makes Social Security deposit directly to your HSBC account and is the only direct deposit allowed (AFAIK). I have had excellent results with their service. There is no counter service - only online service, which is a PLUS for me.
Just go in and ask for a Direct Account. Easy to open and easy to use. ATM Visa card with no muss or fuss. I have China Trust and First Bank Credit cards so I haven’t even asked about that service but . . I might just for the hell of it. BTW, no minimums at any of the banks. Just take in several years of decent income statements of tax return stements and ask. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Thumbs up from here for HSBC.

[quote=“Enigma”]You DO NOT need 3 M to open a HSBC account. No minimum. HSBC Direct is available to all. U.S. makes Social Security deposit directly to your HSBC account and is the only direct deposit allowed (AFAIK). I have had excellent results with their service. There is no counter service - only online service, which is a PLUS for me.
Just go in and ask for a Direct Account. Easy to open and easy to use. ATM Visa card with no muss or fuss. I have China Trust and First Bank Credit cards so I haven’t even asked about that service but . . I might just for the hell of it. BTW, no minimums at any of the banks. Just take in several years of decent income statements of tax return stements and ask. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Thumbs up from here for HSBC.[/quote]

Did you open your HSBC Direct account in a Taiwan branch? Cause I called their customer service about opening an account not too long ago and they told me that I need a minimum of NTD 3 million… :eh:

HSBC have different levels of charges, for their non VIP accounts charges can be quite high and service level is poor.

That’s for the Premier account only.