Citibank exiting Taiwan

First Bank was awful! They wanted me to put a deposit down and they wouldn’t even open my business account because I was ‘not at the office’. I do work at clients’ locations. They are one of the worst when it comes to arcane rules. Not only that, You need to open the account in your particular district. So if you know someone in a branch away from your area, you shit outta luck!

First Bank? More like WORST Bank! Fuck First Bank!

7 Likes

Damn, Marco be feisty today. :astonished:

2 Likes

Anyone hating on Taiwan banks gets an instant like from me, I promise, guaranteed. Although I don’t have a local guarantor.

6 Likes

Yup… it was a pain when i got the card originally. Too bad.
Hopefully someone else buys their portfolio as they have a very large one for credit cards.

2 Likes

They told me years ago at a Kaohsiung branch that if you cant read Chinese in detail, then no account. They were the only bank to do this. Credit card no problem.

1 Like

Marco, please stop beating around the bush. Tell us what you really think! :rofl:

Guy

4 Likes

Oh great. Back to the drawing board figuring out a way to easily transfer money on a regular basis.

Well, I’ll be cancelling my credit card with Citibank and try to resurrect the Amex one. I need a recognizable name in the West, one that won’t get the “is this card a real one?” look or worse, rejected.

That is what I get for getting a personalized Jeremy Lin card.

3 Likes

Don’t cancel. Run it to the end.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about a recognizable Bank Name on a Credit Card - TW issued Cards have worked for us in Europe. Some Cards that I have seen in fact don’t even have the issuing Bank Name on them. AMEX (and Diners) are in fact less usable as the Merchant is charged a higher fee and thus either pass it on to the Cardholder, or dont accept at all - just stick with MasterCard and Visa and you should be fine - all they care about these days is that the computer says ‘approved’ after it is swiped!!

3 Likes

Hopefully there are enough chinese in canada to keep the bank going there.

1 Like

My experience with First Bank as well. Horrible.

2 Likes

Yeah they are brutal.
Many poor experiences with them.

First bank refused to give me their new credit card with much better cashback yesterday…

Reason - not available to foreigners.

Never mind that

A) the counter lady asked me if I want to apply!
B) I have had a first bank credit card for years and it’s my salary bank with substantial savings

Half way through the process somebody in management seems to have told her it’s not available to foreigners.
When I asked why…She couldn’t explain.

2 Likes

I presume that the Takeshi Kaneshiro one was not available? :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

Or maybe available and gladly obtained, but absolutely not to be sullied with everyday use.

3 Likes

You have problems with TW issued cards abroad? Never had anyone look at mine twice.

1 Like

Only for MRT (Easy Card) unfortunately.

Seriously, yes. US and the old country. I mean, Mega Bank does not sound serious. Cathay? Chinatrust?!

One of my old cards had Astro boy.

1 Like

Yawn. Here’s my current card. It, uh, gets looks abroad but it works.

6 Likes

Oh that reminds me, I had trouble using chip cards, only swipe available.