Citizenship rights v. civil rights

How can I distinguish between “citizenship rights” and “civil rights”.

I believe the former is gung1 min2 chuan2.

Maybe there is a bit of ambiguity on this.
I looked up civil right in a English-Chinese dictionary it tells me it could be translated as

What are you trying to translate or write, Richard?

Well, the problem seems to arise when we discuss the “civil rights of foreigners.”

I think that civil rights apply to all persons, such as the right to a fair trial, not to be held (beyond a certain number of days) without formal charges being filed, the right to “due process”, etc.

By comparison, citizenship rights include the right to vote, the right to hold public office, the right to serve as a government employee, etc.

However, I get the impression that the two are not so easily diferentiated in Chinese. The Chinese do quickly comprehend the concept of citizenship rights, and of course are quick to assert that “foreigners do not have these rights.”

At the same time, the Chinese seem to be unaware that foreigners should be entitled to all types of civil rights.

So, I am looking for good translations to differentiate the two.

Civil / civic rights is

Richard, you’re quite right. Chinese doesn’t make the clear-cut distinction that English does. That being so, you’ll either have to do what most legal papers discussing the subject do — either just use the English or pick your favourite Chinese translation (

Well, one of the above posters mentioned the term ren2 min2.

Oops, seem to have posted twice. See below.

I think that the situation of a child born out of wedlock is a good example. When the child is having difficulty becoming a Taiwan citizen, it seems his “civil rights” are being denied.

However, under the Taiwanese interpretation his “citizenship rights” are probably not being denied. The Taiwanese would say “Oh, he is not eligible for citizenship.”

I understand your problem, Richard, but so far as I can tell there is no term in Chinese that carries the full weight of ‘civil rights’ without also implying that those are the province of citizens.

I’ve suggested a number of terms that have similar meanings and can be used in various combinations to express what you’d like to say, and, in response to the case you mentioned, can only advise you to be a little creative and find a way around the sort of linguistic game that denies civil rights (