City bank employees

So I stupidly left my card in an atm a few days ago, after hours of franticly searching everywhere. The other half phoned the bank for me. THEY HAD IT! Over the phone we established what bank the card was with, the colour of it, the name of the person that lost it, just a ‘Bring your passport!’…

How on earth could there be a problem with that right?, Well the woman at the counter decided that the fact that my card only had my initials, for example ‘JJ JONES’ but on the passport it said ‘Jimmy James Jones’. She couldn’t understand why it didn’t have the full name, we explained because a credit card is TOO SMALL to fit on whole names so they use initials. She then thought the signatures didn’t match. This went on for one whole hour, until she finally decided to give me my fucking card.

This story is pretty boring I guess but this has to be one of the most irritating experiences I’ve ever had in my entire life.

I hear you, man. Stupid crap like that happens. Aggravating waste of time.

I know I know - this isn’t a Taiwan thing. It’s usually a Big Corp thing. I’ve banked at HSBC for years - but not because I like them. Taiwan, Shanghai, HK, Philippines. It’s crazy some of the hoops I’ve had to jump through. And I’ve heard HSBC in the US is just as bad or worse. Not everyone I’ve dealt with are irritating - there have been some genuinely helpful and awesome people. But most are irritating “I don’t care what happens in real life - we mindlessly do what we do because our manual says so” types :fume:

I think you forget that in any other country, you would have never gotten back your ATM card in the first place. In that time, someone could have ordered a gazillion things on it.

Why wouldn’t you have? How could they have?

Um. Stolen? Used the numbers on amazon with the 3 digit on the back thing?
Or am I the only one who’s lived in a third world country before? :ponder:

By City bank, are we talking about Citibank?

I don’t know… First thing I do when I think I lost or left my card somewhere is place a call to the bank hotline. they block the card, and the card’s insurance should cover any irregular transaction done in your name by then.

Um. Stolen? Used the numbers on amazon with the 3 digit on the back thing?
Or am I the only one who’s lived in a third world country before? :ponder:[/quote]

True, but not likely for a lost card. You could easily know it’s lost and be following up. Usually they scam your number off a printout or machine in such situations. You’re right though that Taiwan is pretty good for such things. It’s not quite the paradise of rectitude it’s sometimes made out to be though.

In the local vernacular, it’s “shittybank”. And how.

[quote=“Jaffa cake”]So I stupidly left my card in an atm a few days ago, after hours of franticly searching everywhere. The other half phoned the bank for me. THEY HAD IT! Over the phone we established what bank the card was with, the colour of it, the name of the person that lost it, just a ‘Bring your passport!’…

How on earth could there be a problem with that right?, Well the woman at the counter decided that the fact that my card only had my initials, for example ‘JJ JONES’ but on the passport it said ‘Jimmy James Jones’. She couldn’t understand why it didn’t have the full name, we explained because a credit card is TOO SMALL to fit on whole names so they use initials. She then thought the signatures didn’t match. This went on for one whole hour, until she finally decided to give me my fucking card.

This story is pretty boring I guess but this has to be one of the most irritating experiences I’ve ever had in my entire life.[/quote]

Hmm, I’d rather have a very zealous person making sure that everything is verified. It could have been excessive but like another poster said, at least they are making sure it really is you.