City with Cleanest Air?

I think I can be in any part of Taiwan for my job. Was in Taipei a few weeks but seems quite polluted. I know part of the pollution comes from China.

Any cities that are quite a bit cleaner than Taipei?

East coast only or central mountains. Nothing clean on West or North.

5 Likes

Benefits of living on the Westside of TW: Less typhoon damage.
Downfall: Full brunt of Chinese invasion.

Benefit of living on the Eastside of TW: Cleaner air.
Downfall: No HSR.

I think Tainan felt pretty clean IMHO. Most industries seems to be in Kaohsiung or Taichung, AFAIK. Correct me if I am wrong.

I just go by 2.5 pollution readings and west coast is mostly all bad. I realize my thoughts aren’t accurate after watching this for a year or more.

Now for example not as bad as usual but still mostly west coast.

I’ve tracked the pollution for years . West coast is bad but especially Central and South Taiwan including the counties and towns too. Often been in pingdong and Tainan and Nantou country covered in haze especially in Winter.
East coast or high mountains are the best choice.

I see some green on the West coast. Where is that?

Crap. Looks like only clean places are in the middle of nowhere.

Hualien is in the middle of nowhere? @IbisWtf

That’s kind of the standard description of Hualien. People go to Hualien to get away.

1 Like

This morning there was a smell of turpentine in the air…

Don’t know about the cleanest, but it is an improvement over Taipei and surrounding areas. At my favorite Hualien track and view from apartment window.
P_20180102_072836_vHDR_AutoP_20180102_073027_vHDR_AutoP_20171230_071032_vHDR_Auto

1 Like

Mostly yes. I live in Yilan though!

Oops. Sorry. You live Yilan! Still east coast, so hope it was not a completely wrong call.

I wonder how different these “clean” cities are than say Taipei?

In the US and big metropolitan area will have 99% of anywhere else.

In Taiwan the West coast and sometimes Taipei have more air pollution than major US cities. East coast is more in line with 'murican flyover states.

I’ve looked at the numbers before, the US has very good air quality across almost the entire country compared to Asia and Taiwan in general. I recall some areas in orange county in California being amongst the worst possibly because of agricultural burn off.

Credit to US clean air act 1970 and 1990.

Hualien rocks.

1 Like

Yup, their famous for them.

2 Likes

No costco

1 Like