Civic groups?

I was told that foreigners, even ARC holders, could not stand as founding members of a civic group, like a club or association. Instead, 20 ID card-holding locals were required to register one. Is this correct, or the usual runaround to avoid actually processing paper or doing useful work?

Alright, so no answers on this question.

How about this one:

Is there a database of civic groups one can search? You can search any company from the MOEA, but what about clubs and associations? I’m researching the legal status of a particular group.

What association are you thinking of setting up ?
The mind boggles… :shock:

You know, Civic groups–for those who aren’t in Accords (now where’s that “Duh” emoticon?)

I’m more interested in which one you’re trying to find information on…

Can’t help with real answers but I was told a couple years back that it’s not easy setting up a non-profit organization.

J.

The years I worked for Amnesty International Taiwan, I never directly had to deal with all the bullsh** in the dreaded “Little Pink book”. The Little Pink Book (which in fact was not so little, but it was pink) had all the nonsense regulations and requirements for founding an NGO and keeping it legal.

Back then (5-6 years ago) yes, foreigners could not found NGOs, and yes you needed a group (how many I forget) of locals with i.d. cards to sign on as “founding members”/"bored (I mean board) members.

The bottom line on NGO’s in Taiwan is that I have never seen one that could operate “legally”. The requirements of the Little Pink Book (published by that great bastion of reason, the Ministry of Interior) are so confused and incoherent that most NGOs in Taiwan (including Amnesty International Taiwan) did not follow them.

Many NGO’s in Taiwan do not bother even registering as NGOs. the only advantage of registering is that then the NGO can give tax reciepts for donations. Which is not much of an advantage.

Once again the Taiwanese government has shown its commitment to the Rule of Law by making laws impossible to follow.

My stock advice is:
If you are in Taiwan forget the law, nobody else (from the highest government official to the low life betelnut chewing noodle vendors) concerns themselves with it, why should you.

Gather and save “guan-xi” (connections) like a squirrel gathers acorns.

If you try to follow the law, it will give you an ulcer and turn your hair gray (even if you are only 20 years old) and in the end you might as well be trying to catch the wind.

Hope this helps.

Herr Doctor Brian
Master of Taiwan Law (Honorary)

Thanks for the advice on registering (or not), and I’m well aware of the ‘get on bus first, buy ticket later’ principle. :wink:

I probably don’t need to use a legal vehicle of my own to do what I want, but I’m still interested to know about the current legal status of an organization set up long ago. Can’t mention the name here without letting the cat out of the bag, not with Google’s spiders everywhere.

So, still looking for a search portal for Taiwan’s clubs and associations…

Yeah, this is grave digging, but I still need an answer to this question.

How do you find out the legal status of a civic group like an association or club? Where do you go to apply to register one of these (maybe they can help me)?

Can civic groups have a 統一編號?

[quote=“hsiadogah”]Yeah, this is grave digging, but I still need an answer to this question.

How do you find out the legal status of a civic group like an association or club? Where do you go to apply to register one of these (maybe they can help me)?

Can civic groups have a 統一編號?[/quote]

I don’t know much about these. However, associations are divided into two types: Local and National.

If you wish to ascertain the legal status of a Local association, I think you need to consult the 社會局 of the city government where the association is located.

If you wish to ascertain the legal status of a National association, I think you need to consult the 社會區 under the Ministry of the Interior (MOI or 內政部). I think the 社會區 at MOI is under another department… but, I am not certain.

Hope this is helpful.

Bingo. Cheers TMTM :slight_smile: