CLA may scrap the minimum salary for foreign workers

Below is an article from today’s Taipei Times. In it, Lee Ying-yuan, Council of Labor Affairs director is quoted saying that he is considering scrapping the minimum salary for foreign workers.

So, as if these workers are not exploited enough, now they are going to be paid less…

CLA plans to recuit more foreigners for night shifts

DPA , TAIPEI
Thursday, Jul 20, 2006,Page 3

Advertising Taiwan plans to increase recruitment of foreign workers so that they can work night shifts, which are often shunned by Taiwanese workers, a Council of Labor Affairs official said yesterday.
“We plan to lift the ban on foreign workers working [night] shifts because many Taiwanese workers do not like to work them. The lifting of the ban will benefit many industries, especially electronics companies and slaughterhouses which operate around the clock,” director of the council Lee Ying-yuan (李應元) said at a meeting.

“We will decide on the quota for these foreign workers and submit a report to the government. If everything goes well, we can lift the ban by the end of the year at the earliest,” he said.

The nation has recruited some 300,000 workers from six countries: Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Mongolia. If Taiwan increases the number of foreign workers, the new workers will also come from these countries.

At the meeting, Lee also said that the council was considering scrapping the fixed minimum monthly salary for a foreign worker – NT$15,840 (US$465) – and allow companies that hire foreign workers to decide salary levels.

“We … may scrap the minimum salary for foreign workers.”

Lee Ying-yuan, Council of Labor Affairs director

“Many Taiwanese employers complain that foreign workers’ salaries are higher than Taiwanese workers’ salaries. So we will consider their suggestions and may scrap the minimum salary for foreign workers,” he said.

Yup, how clever!

Hire foreigners to do the work the local DON’T want to do, treat them like shit, pay them shit, put them up in dorms the size of my car’s cubby hole and if they raise a word… deport them.

Convenient.

The Director is so clever! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Especially claptrap like ‘thai workers are paid more than Taiwanese ones’ really gets my goat.

A Taiwanese factory worker (male) earns NT$30k per month.

Whereas Thai workers might not overall that much cheaper due to plane tickets and dorm accomodation, they should still represent a NT$10k saving for the boss every month.

[quote=“stan”]Yup, how clever!

Hire foreigners to do the work the local DON’T want to do, treat them like shit, pay them shit…[/quote]

Welcome to America!

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“stan”]Yup, how clever!

Hire foreigners to do the work the local DON’T want to do, treat them like shit, pay them shit…[/quote]Welcome to America![/quote]yeah…right…:unamused:
Since when has the minimum wage law been repealed in the USA?

Well in the US there are certain jobs not require to meet minimum wage. Such as jobs where there is tipping. So it is possible to be employed legally and make less than minimum wage.

Actually, no. It has been quite a few years since I worked for tips, but as I remember it, a worker who’s declared income from tips does not bring him to or above minimum wage must be compensated by his employer. In the places I worked, I never once heard of a worker making so little in tips that they made below minimum wage. Working for tips is still a shitty living, though.