CLA officials warn against employing spouses illegally

CLA officials warn against employing spouses illegally

Taipei Times
Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004,Page 2

Employment agencies that hire out foreign spouses who don’t have residency permits face heavy fines, the Council of Labor Affairs said yesterday.

“Some media reports have recently focused on this situation in employment agencies. The council is therefore releasing a public statement so that [the agencies] may be aware of the consequences,” said Chen Po-yi, a section chief at the council’s department of labor affairs.

According to recent Chinese-language reports, some employment agencies have placed foreign spouses without residency permits with employers in urgent situations – such as when an employer loses a foreign worker and is in need of a replacement.

However, by doing so, the agencies violate the Employment Service Law, Chen said.

Article 45 of the law stipulates that foreigners cannot be hired out to a third party except under specific circumstances. Article 64 stipulates a fine of between NT$100,000 and NT$500,000 for violators. Those re-offending within five years face sentences of up to one year in jail or a fine of no more than NT$600,000, or both.

“spouses who don’t have residency permits”

Yeah… what does that mean. Does that mean married spouses with out ARC’s?

How can you be (live long term with your spouse) with out a residency permit?

It doesn’t apply to us foreign spouses… I hope.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]“spouses who don’t have residency permits”

Yeah… what does that mean. Does that mean married spouses with out ARC’s? [/quote]

Translation: mainland wives, who somehow find it much harder to get resident permits than even us other foreigners.

[quote]How can you be (live long term with your spouse) with out a residency permit?

It doesn’t apply to us foreign spouses… I hope.[/quote]

If you are married to an ROC national and have a ARC based on this marriage, you can work without any special permit. Any other foreigner must have a work permit of some sort to work legally.

Yeah the Taipei Times isn’t going to have a clue which category of foreigners they’re talking about so you can’t rely on anything they write. Who knows what this report means ? No one, least of all the Typo Times.

I did, I lived in Taiwan, married for 6 years on a visitor visa. :laughing: First on 1 year visas than 6 months and the last two years 2 month non-extendable I got in Hong Kong. They refused to give me extendable unless I got an HIV test which I refused.:fume:

So, you see it’s possible.

Anyway, now I have an ARC since about 3 years. :notworthy:

[quote=“bottleneck”]I did, I lived in Taiwan, married for 6 years on a visitor visa. :laughing: First on 1 year visas than 6 months and the last two years 2 month non-extendable I got in Hong Kong. They refused to give me extendable unless I got an HIV test which I refused.:fume:

So, you see it’s possible.

Anyway, now I have an ARC since about 3 years. :notworthy:[/quote]

Why would you refuse an HIV test?