Clarification on types of employment that will earn a work permit for a resident visa application

I’m currently looking for work in Taiwan while traveling on a visitors visa. Like many others who do their job hunt in person, I hope to find a job and then change my visitor visa into a resident visa (after the obligatory out-of country trip) in order to apply for ARC, health insurance… all that good stuff. Seeing as how I’m technically “just traveling” I don’t feel comfortable taking this sort of a question to the Embassy. Government websites that I have referenced are a little blurry on the subject matter as well.

My question is: what type of job will earn my the work permit that will allow me to successfully obtain a resident visa?

Obviously teaching contracts offer a secure, one year commitment which could be interpreted as “proof” to the government of your earnestness. This is also happens to be the most documented method on web resources. As I have not been satisfied with any of the teaching contracts offered to me in my time here, I’m interested in investigating more creative avenues of job hunting. Specifically, I am interested in working with the Buddha’s Light International Association, teaching English to the nuns of the Fo Guang Shan Temple. This is a smaller time commitment than a normal teaching position. There’s no contract involved. Although I would be backed by an International Organization, will this be enough to fulfill my requirements for the resident visa application? My time here is ticking down, so I’m eager to get some clarification from experienced ex-pats who have had gainful employment in fields other than the conventional and prevalent teaching positions.

Thanks in advance for your input!

A job for which your employer can show the government that they can’t find a Taiwanese citizen to fill said job (because of certain skills that you have but Taiwanese people usually don’t have).

To get a visa you would need a contract that provides for at least the legally required minimum number of hours per week.

Maybe you can get some ideas about what might be possible from one of these threads:

And let us know if you’ve made headway with your project, OK?