"CLASSIC" DVDs

Second what Ghetto says about QUIZ SHOW.

[quote=“ghettostyle”]

I think I’ll give the sets a second look and go from there. Some interesting tidbits. I’m a little wary of buying any hitchcock DVD as much as I like some of his films. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will just lead to an impulse purchase of the entire set. Your compelling sales pitch isn’t helping. :wink:[/quote]

Actually, there are two Hitchcock sets available at Costco, each with ten DVDs. The later set, with the films like psycho, rear window, vertigo, and north by northwest, also contains manchurian candidate, for some odd, but pleasing reason. Nice addition. Much camper than I’d realised.

The earlier set is my fave, though. Watching so much Hitchcock in succession, you get a good feel for his genius, and what he was trying to get across with his huge volume of work. My faves are Strangers on a Train, Rope, and Shadow of a Doubt, each for the moral “trickstering” he inflicts on his characters. Very contemporary themes set in black and white. Oh, and Suspicion is also brilliant, and part of the early set.
There are some missing, like Man Who Knew too much, on the later set.

I must say though that the Costco-sold classic DVD box sets are all very good quality, and are the remastered versions of the films. Not one out of the fifty I have are crap copies.

I tend to buy a set almost every time I go to Costco. Like buying wine. Last time my basket contained a few bottles of wine, some bread, cheese, a set of classic dvds, and a pillow. Now, does that say anything about how exciting life has become amidst the SARS epidemic?

there are 2 10-film VCD boxes of Hitchcock on sale around Guanghua. 500NT each I think. Quality is fine, at least on my sets.

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”]
Morally opposed to Costco? This wouldn’t have something to do with that globe, would it?[/quote]

I didn’t realize there was a whole other thread on costco! are there no subjects off limits on this board [other than those listed in the flame forum?] i have to say that i find myself wandering into the costco=uncool camp, though the image of fredericka pushing around a cart with wine, dvds, and a pillow while carefully examining some cheese in the dairy aisle lends it a few cool points out of sympathy. As for the globe…don’t buy it. end of story.

as for the hitchcock + 1 manchurian candidate:

i think i came across that set. And yes, what a curious little package that is. i don’t know what to think about manchurian candidate. camp, i guess, but it is a little unsettling to be camp in my books. Just weird and kinda bad. That lady from murder she wrote is an interesting cast selection…strange but interesting.

one recommendation i have for fredericka and any other noir fans, is double indemnity. its the movie i think of when anyone mentions noir. i think i’ve seen it around guang hua. happy hunting.

She’s just three years older than the actor who plays her son. :shock:

Yes! Several of the great Billy Wilder’s films are available in inexpensive editions here. Other films by him include The Apartment, Sunset Blvd., and Stalag 17 – all essential watching.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]
Yes! Several of the great Billy Wilder’s films are available in inexpensive editions here. Other films by him include The Apartment, Sunset Blvd., and Stalag 17 – all essential watching.[/quote]

Actually, there are several Billy Wilder films interspersed on those sets: Some Like it Hot, Witness for the Prosecution (think I’ll watch it tonight–Marlena Deitrich!), Seven Year Itch, and the ultimate movie for many of our local expat population–The Lost Weekend.

I just wish I could find Sunset Boulevard somewhere!!! Anyone seen it around?

Btw ghetto,
I examine the wines much more carefully than the cheeses :slight_smile:

Sunset Boulevard is everywhere, Fredericka.

I was fortunate to see it in a cinema in London a few months ago. The promised visit by Betty Olson at the screening did not materialize though.

[quote=“ghettostyle”]
That lady from murder she wrote is an interesting cast selection…strange but interesting.[/quote]

That lady is Angela Lansbury. Isn’t she delightfully evil?
The only other film I’ve seen her play a bitch in is William Faulkner’s, ‘The Long, Hot Summer’.

Speaking of summer, another film I’d like to get ahold of, Tennessee William’s
Suddenly Last Summer. Katherine Hephburn is brilliant in that one.

Oh, and as for Tennessee plays, the Costco sets I have contain The Rose Tattoo, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and Sweet Bird of Youth.

I simply cannot believe that the ultimate movie, THE movie, the perfect movie of all time (my subjective vote anyway) is not available on DVD.

That is - the full length version of Once Upon a Time in America is not available at all. Neither is Once Upon a Time in the West!!!

As for the older, more classic ones, well I’m happy i found Citizen Kane on DVD in HsinChu, as with the Third Man (love the music). I would definitely love to see the full length version of the The Magnificent Ambersons. Unfortunately, this version got lost many years ago.

It warms my heart to have a discussion about such great movies. With names like Ozu flying around, I know I’m in good company. I was lucky enough to see a series of his films (I think I watched about 10) at the NFI in London when I was there. I’m a real fan of Japanese cinema actually, and seeing Japanese films with English subtitles is one thing I really miss about living in Taiwan. They really do make some fantastic movies the Japanese.

Brian

Ever seen “Tampopo”? :smiley:
“Shall We Dance”?
I’m a sucker for contemporary Japanese films too.
And novels.
Someone (good) should really put a Murakami book on film.

Oh, and please point me toward Sunset Blvd DVDs that are supposedly ‘everywhere’. Ta!

If you’re coming tonight, I’ll get you a copy.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I saw Tampopo. The name rings a bell, but I really can’t remember what film it was. Was that one about a funeral? Welington, where i"m from used to have a fantastic film festival, and I saw a lot of Japanese films there. Watched 51 flms in 15 days at the film festival once. I was studying film at the time so I saw an awful lot of films. Uusally about 10 films a week in class, 2 films at the weekly film society screening, a couple of new releases a week, and a few videos for assignments or pleasure. Now I see about one film a week. A pity really.

All my festival brochures and stuff are back in NZ, but I’ll see if I can drag up something form memory or online searching and post a little list of some good Japanese films sometime.

One thing I like about Ozu, is he has some really distinctive stylistic touches in his directing. In his later film you can see three things. 1) He usually shoots from a very low angle. He said somethign about this being rlated to Japanese culture and sitting on tatamis all the time. 2) The shots often open before the action (eg someone coming into a room) starts and linger a while after it ends (eg they have left the room). 3) He often ‘crosses the line’/'breaks the 180 degree rule. This refers to the cinematic ‘rule’ that when filming (for example) a conversation you place the two cameras so that it appears that with two people facing each other, one is always on the left and one is always on the right. That’s part of what they call ‘continuity of space’. Ozu would film conversations of two or more people seated around a small Japanese table and 'cross the line; to interesting effect. You see this only rarely in mainstream film - sometimes to signal a jarring event or sudden change of perspective.

Brian

I picked up an extra copy of Festen for anyone that is interested (alleycat? iris?) in owning one. Unopened.

The price for this movie will be a trade, preferably an interesting one. So, if you have a movie that you are willing to part with in exchange for this movie, post here.

On a similar note, I am willing to part with my copy of Run Lola Run, Mighty Aphrodite, Heavenly Creatures, or Life is Beautiful for anyone who is looking for other movie barter.

The most interesting trade wins it.

FYI, my wish list for movies I have seen floating around in Taiwan:

Five Easy Pieces
The Last Picture Show
(or any movie made in the seventies)
any movie by Roman Polanski

my wish list for movies not floating around in Taiwan (as far as I know):

any movie directed by John Cassavetes.

Mind you, the wish list is just that, a wish list. I encourage posting of any and all kinds of movies.

cheers. :smiley:

Found tonight:

Lost Highway $88
Seven Samurai $98
Requiem for a Dream $49 VCD though

All on that block behind the Hilton near Taipei Main Station.

Also found Five Easy Pieces but it was five big ones and change. I’ll get it on the weekend.

Ghetto, I’d like to buy that extra copy of Festen if you don’t mind. Thanks.

alleycat,

I think I would be willing to part with FESTEN and 2 of the movies on my list (or others if you’re interested) for a copy of FIVE EASY PIECES.

What do you think?

You have a deal!

Ever seen “Tampopo”? :smiley:
“Shall We Dance”?
I’m a sucker for contemporary Japanese films too.
And novels.
Someone (good) should really put a Murakami book on film.

Oh, and please point me toward Sunset Blvd DVDs that are supposedly ‘everywhere’. Ta![/quote]

I’d also recommend the The Eel.

wow, that was quick.

So I guess Alleycat takes it (not much fanfare from the peanut gallery. oh well :frowning: )!

So what flicks do you pick for the trade? You can post them here or PM it.

cheers. :smiley:

the ghetto

(p.s. sorry iris. If I find another copy I’ll let you know.)

Goddamn… you guys are sophisticated. The last time I was in New York, I bought a couple of Three Stooges tapes. They’re classics, aren’t they?

Oh well, my kid and I enjoy them, especialy the one with Hoi Polloi :laughing: