Classical recorder concert: Michala Petri

Michala Petri, one of the world’s finest recorder players, will be performing three concerts in Taiwan in early October. I’m going to the one in Taipei.
[ul][li]Friday, October 10 in Gaoxiong[/li]
[li]Saturday, October 11 in Taipei (National Concert Hall)[/li]
[li]Sunday, October 12 in Taizhong[/li][/ul]
She’ll be appearing with guitarist Lars Hannibal.

The program includes the Devil’s Trill.

Interesting one. I hope Rice-t is reading this – he’s another recorder player.

She’s quite a dish too! And so cultured.

That’s awesome. I want to go see the lute.

Dunno if Lars Hannibal plays lute, but they got an oud player coming to play at Migration Music. That’s kind of lute-like, in a box-with-strings kind of way.

That’s cool. Did you see what he was playing in that video. I don’t know what it is, it’s got six strings I guess, but it’s got a wicked-long neck and a gourd-like body. Sounds lovely.

That’s cool. Did you see what he was playing in that video. I don’t know what it is, it’s got six strings I guess, but it’s got a wicked-long neck and a gourd-like body. Sounds lovely.[/quote]
I hadn’t looked at the video, buy yes, its a lute of some kind. Never seen one with a long neck like that and all those strings – a hell of a lot more than 6! Indeed gorgeous music though.
I in fact own and play a ukulele. Maybe me and Cranky could play that Devil’s Trill thing as a duet. We’d need a couple of hours to practice together, of course, at least.

That’s cool. Did you see what he was playing in that video. I don’t know what it is, it’s got six strings I guess, but it’s got a wicked-long neck and a gourd-like body. Sounds lovely.[/quote]
I hadn’t looked at the video, buy yes, its a lute of some kind. Never seen one with a long neck like that and all those strings – a hell of a lot more than 6! Indeed gorgeous music though.
I in fact own and play a ukulele. Maybe me and Cranky could play that Devil’s Trill thing as a duet. We’d need a couple of hours to practice together, of course, at least.[/quote]
That would be surreal, especially if you get irishstu to back you on banjo.

That’s a theorbo, which is basically a lute with extra bass strings.

I get self-concious practicing in Taiwan, where hundreds if not thousands of people in my immediate vicinity can hear if I make a mistake. :blush:

But such considerations never seem to bother the huqin player who lives downstairs. AFAIK, there is no way to make one of those sound good playing anything. Maybe it’s time for some payback… :smiling_imp:

Not a problem. I can easily plug my uke into a powerful amplifier and use a heavy metal distortion pedal or somesuch, so I can just play extra loud at the parts you’re not confident about. It’ll sound GREAT!
Plus, we’ll have Irishstu accompanying us with his famed “scary buttocks dance,” which will detract the audience attention to some extent.