Clean Criminal Record Documentation (CCRD)

One part of getting the CCRD is submitting a fingerprint sample; getting the fingerprints taken is no simple matter. I first called AIT
American Citizen Services–you can’t talk to anyone directly, but instead have to leave a voice mail and they’ll get back to you. A representative from AIT said that they do not provide the fingerprinting service, but that I can get it done at a local police station. So I went to the local police station and they said they couldn’t do it either. They called the Foreign Affairs police on Yenping N. Rd and again the answer was sorry, we can’t help you. After 4 0r 5 calls they found an address for me to go to in WanHua. The woman I talked to there said that I would need to bring my passport, ARC, a photo and that they would keep a separate copy of my fingerprint card for their “records”. They’re open from 2-5 pm in the afternoon M-F. I guess they’re starting the national fingerprint database for foreigners early. So it looks like I’ll have to fingerprint myself. Anyone have any experience with this? Wish me luck.

I’ve posted this somewhere else also, if anyone knows where that is please post the location of it here.

I got my fingerprints done at the Taoyuan foreign affairs police station last year and there was no problem except that you have to do it yourself. Which means you should know how to do it before you put your finger in the ink. I don’t know why the Foreign affairs police said they cannot help you, they should be able to do it. I think any police station can help you. And them keeping a copy of your finger prints for there records is odd.

AIT does not have this service, that is correct.

And I thought this national figure print database was not going to happen…



Thanks for your response. Was your fingerprinting done for the Calif Dept of Justice? If so, did the FA police sign the document? I notice on my CA Dept of Justice form that there’s a blank space entitled “signature of official taking fingerprints”.
I wonder if I have to have a law enforcement rep “take” my fingerprints–when in fact I’m doing it myself, or whether this might be ignored and just do it myself. Anyone with any clue on this, your help is appreciated.

I got my criminal record check from my city and showed it to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Chicago. They told me that I needed it notarized and if I asked them to notarize it where I got it it wouldn’t be a problem.

I went back home and asked them about notarizing it and they said that the seal is good enough. I’ve called and asked notaries and one told me that it’s illegal for him to notarize public documents. I called the office again and they told me it MUST be notarized.

Does it really need to be notarized? If so what else can I do?

The following pretty much sums up you question. Courtesy of Jeff at

A statement of Clean Criminal Record Documentation (CCRD) (You can get this from your local police station in your home country or other relevant local or national authority; such as the Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI)). It must be translated into Chinese, and certified at the nearest ROC Overseas Office in your country. DO NOT get it notarized! Expires in three months.

Cheers Amos.

I called the police station again to ask about getting it notarized and I think they answered my question. They told me (again) that they can’t notarize it, but they can certify it. I think that’s what the people at the TECO wanted. Either way I’ll know after tomorrow when I bring what I got down there again.

Thanks for the help

My experience suggests that you don’t need a translation except if the original is in a language other than English or Chinese. What is required though - and I admire the sensibility in this - is that the original be assessd and ‘chopped’ - approved, hopefully - by the local Taipei econo blah blah. They do know the score - scam/‘poor fucker’.

A point of reason here chasps…Ry Cooder belted it out as “the very thing that makes you rich, makes me poor”
Yeah, its all fucked up., but then why the fuck would we be here if it weren’t?

I get on my hobby horse every known and then but frankly…‘damn it feels good to be a gangsta’.

Miltownkid, I WOULDN’T be getting the cops to touch it at all. I think the advice I gave you from Jeff’s site is spot on. With the CCRD in hand, head back to the TECO office and get it certified. If they tell you it needs to be notorised, just tell them ‘It fucking doesn’t’.

I went to the TECO in chicago today, and they once again told me that I needed notarized. So I went on to say ‘It fucking doesn’t’ (with out actually saying it) and the girl working there said she’d hold on to it for me and show it to her supervisor. I’ll find out what he says when I go to pick up me visa tomorrow.

I did find this on the BOCA site under Document Authentication:

"Please note that applicants must meet the following requirements before sending documents to the BOCA or ROC missions overseas:

  1. Signed by a notary public.
  2. Must be an original Document.
  3. Documents issued by the specific countries, which shall be verified by the foreign affairs authority of the countries."

Something must have changed since Jeff got married.

[quote]1. Signed by a notary public.[/quote]I was unaware of this. Who actually is a notary public? Would that be a Justice of Peace?

I also had to get this document and I can simply get it legalized by the Dutch Trade & Investment office here in Taipei (200 NT per document). No need for anything else in my home country.

I’d like to start by thanking amos and his tip to tell them ‘It fucking doesn’t’. That seemed to work out fine. When I went to pick it up today they had it certified, had my visa ready and I gave them anthoer document (I had this notarized and certified by the state) and they certified that too.

In case your wondering, they gave me an extendible multy-entry visa valid for one year. A friend of mine I talked to said the office in chicago gave him trouble and he suspected that I wouldn’t get an extendible unless I showed them a big bank statement and aceptance letter from a laguage school.

So it was all in all a good day.

I’d just like to note that the TECO in chicago (in may vary from city to city) definitely wants to have the papers you present them notarized to have them certify it, but if you tell them ‘It fucking doesn’t’, they might do it for you anyway.

Thanks all for your helpful responses.


Hey everyone,

What’s the fastest way to obtain my US CCRD if I am currently in Taiwan? Is it possible to do apply for it online or do I have to make some long distance calls? Or should I ask relatives/friends to get it for me? The best would be if I can do it myself from here. Thanks.

I’m pretty sure you can get one online, but it would be pointless because you need to get it certified by a TECO in your home country for it to be of any use here (I think). It’d be best that you have a friend do it for you, get it certified and mail it here.

I’d yell at you about not checking the archives first, but I can never find anything with them.

Do you mean the Police Record Certificate?

Here is the address of Taipei County Police Bureau.
NO.57,Mintzu Rd., Banchiau City, Taipei

Are there any Canadians here who have obtained their CCRD from Canada while in Taiwan? What was the procedure? Cost? Timeline? I’m hoping dear old dad will be able to jump through any necessary hoops for me.

Are you getting married Maoman? (or PR?)


I am indeed getting married, to one Vanessa Pan. Good news for me. :smiley: As for her, well, she could have done better… :wink:

As for Canadians wishing to get their CCRD, this website should help. Go to the Canadian Trade Office and pick up a blank fingerprint form. Then go to one of these two police stations to be fingerprinted:[ol][li]Criminal Investigation Bureau
Zhongxiao East Road, Section 4, Lane 553, #5, 2nd Floor, Taipei, Taiwan
Their telephone number is 2767-8228
Their hours are from 9:00 to 11:00 am, and again from 2:00 to 4:00 pm[/li][li]Taipei Forensic Science Centre
Xiyuan Road, Section 2, #88, Taipei Taiwan
Their telephone number is 2336-6777. Their hours are from 8:30 to 11:30 am, and again from 2:00 to 5:30 pm[/li][/ol]They are fast and professional and they do not keep a record of your fingerprints, although they do record the date of your visit, and ask for a 2" passport photo. There is no charge for this service. Remember to also bring your ARC and your passport.

I guess I was just hoping to find out from other Canucks how long the whole process took once documents are submitted to the [color=red]Great[/color] [color=white]Wh[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=white]te[/color] [color=red]North[/color]… The Canadian Trade Office says the RCMP can take up to 6 weeks! :?

According to my notes these are the documents you’ll need to prepare:

1 Fingerprint form (similar to the RCMP/GRC C216C form)
1 Cover letter explaining your request for security classification

Taipei Econonic & Cultural Office Canada
1 TECO C1 Application Form for Certification or Endorsement
1 Letter addressed to TECO authorizing them to release your endorsed security classification to a third-party.

After you’ve completed the fingerprint form, send it and the cover letter to the RCMP for processing. Remember to indicate in the cover letter that you would like the forms to be returned to the Canadian address of a friend or family member (dad). Once your father receives the RCMP security classification document, instruct him to take it and the third-party release to TECO for endorsement. This entire process takes about eight weeks.

Congratulations! Welcome to the joining family club.

For future reference, Australians can go here ;
For others, it’s easiest to go to your state or national police force website, and look for application forms.