Clear evidence of adultery can't win a conviction in Taiwan!

People truly bothered by this law are probably already interested in :banana: someone else’s spouse or someone other than their spouse. Otherwise this law holds no relevance to a person’s daily life.

2 Likes

Either the adultery law or the divorce law must change.

There are many cases of normal people who struggle to divorce due to noncompliance of the spouse and face criminal charges after living apart from the spouse for many years who sends private investigators just to get a big payout out of ex-partner.

1 Like

What if your an innocent 3rd party getting sued because you didn’t check your partners ID to check they are single?

First of all, it’s “you’re”.

Second, that would be the person’s fault for being lazy and rushing into a relationship and/or only thinking of sexual fulfillment.

Who said anything about a relationship

Second, that would be the person’s fault for being lazy and rushing into a relationship and/or only thinking of sexual fulfillment.

Happy now playa?

1 Like

so how would that go?

“excuse me person who i’m thinking of getting of with, do you have any documentary evidence that you are single that we can sign, also can we ask the person over there to counter sign as a witness”

Not one of the best lines i have heard but it could work.

2 Likes

Not been called that for a long time,
or the equivalent from back then.

Well, I’m not into the PUA scene. So I can’t give any advice on what to say. But I would think to to be safe, a person would need to find out the prospect’s marital and/or relationship status.

Maybe something along the lines of “Hey beautiful/handsome! Your spouse/significant other must be really confident if he/she doesn’t mind you coming to the club by yourself looking so hot.”

Bob Kao writing at Ketagalan Media speculates on how the Constitutional Court will rule on this case, or perhaps how—like the same-sex marriage ruling—it will get punted to legislative yuan:

Guy

1 Like

If everyone in each case of adultery was actually prosecuted…hmmm…perhaps my previous Taiwan company would have to replace half of the managers…including one CEO and his secretary.

4 Likes

It is not the government’s business to police people’s private lives.

The government can’t legislate perceived morality and they shouldn’t be allowed to try by enacting invasive laws. Same goes for religious organizations.

4 Likes

well you’re one step in-front of me, i don’t even know what it is.

Your saying you have never been to a Rave, Festival, Sunday school field trip, and woke up the following Tuesday to realise you didn’t even ask their name?

I’m not going to judge you lifestyle, but i may need to start questioning the morality of my youth.

Yep they have no business in the bedroom. Only when it comes to protecting minors…
People should be free to live their lives as they want.

1 Like

If that is the case, the government has no need to recognize your marriage or provide a certificate or any other sort of legal document related to your marital status.

My marriage certificate is the government’s acknowledgement of a legal contract between myself and my wife. It’s not an endorsement on whether or not our marriage is moral or not.

Laws which criminalize adultery, on the other hand, do make a stance on what the government feels is moral behavior. That’s none of the government’s business.

2 Likes

There are limitations on who can get a marriage certificate based on moral grounds though. e.g. minimum age limit, incest
So a marriage certificate proofs that the marriage has certain moral grounds based on laws.

Then why bother having any civil laws at all? Don’t civil laws govern moral behavior in order to maintain societal order?

Dude, really?!

Yes