Cliff Diving in Bitan

If you could see the pitiful state of the way some of the people down there “swim” you’d realize that 2 or 3 drownings a year is actually astonishingly low. They drown, sure, but it’s got bugger-all to do with undercurrents and everything to do with brainless fuckwits who only managed to escape natural selection that far through blind luck. :wink:
As I said, if you know how to swim you shouldn’t have a problem.
I saw them pulling a body out last night as a matter of fact. Pretty decomposed, so it must have been there a while.

If you could see the pitiful state of the way some of the people down there “swim” you’d realize that 2 or 3 drownings a year is actually astonishingly low. They drown, sure, but it’s got bugger-all to do with undercurrents and everything to do with brainless fuckwits who only managed to escape natural selection that far through blind luck. :wink:
As I said, if you know how to swim you shouldn’t have a problem.
I saw them pulling a body out last night as a matter of fact. Pretty decomposed, so it must have been there a while.[/quote]

Yeah, swimming skills. Saw a river tracing guide once try to swim around and up a small channel in a river in Wulai. We had just been playing in that channel for an hour, swimming up without much trouble. Idiot coulldn’t make it. Kept getting pushed back by the current. I then asked Chris’s wife to jump in and swim up the channel to show the stupid fucker off (not to be mean but to show him that one, he wasn’t trying very hard, and two, if he couldn’t handle that much current he shouldn’t be leading anyone up a river). Of course Kitty swims up without any trouble. Leader loses huge face and has to try again. Makes in but barely.

A few hours later an aboriginal family came and I watched their 10 year old swim effortlessly against the current for fun for about 15 minutes.

Well I finally made it out to this place and had a blast!

Unfortunately I didn’t follow sandman’s instructions, went an extra block before I turned left and ended up walking up some mountain. While I was up there I discovered a long forgotten secret civilization. Grown over pathed paths, abandoned buildings and ruined temples. There was obviously electricity and running water at one point because most of the buildings had toilets and wall sockets, but they were long ruined and ripped out. Some buildings still had stuff in them, TV’s, couches, Buddha images, I even found a bag full of coins. It was really cool to walk around up there, I kind of felt like Indiana Jones. Only safer.

Anyways, I finally made my way down the other side of the mountain and found the cliffs. We were on a pretty small one but there are several cliffs ranging from 5-21 meters high. Of course there were no dangerous rocks, the water is plenty deep, and I didn’t feel any undercurrent. The water was extremely calm in fact, it is a very short dogpaddle back to the cliff, and there was a thick rope to hold on to as you climbed back up again.

Lots of fun, and definitely a good way to spend a lazy afternoon. I’ll be back again. :slight_smile: