Close call: foiled attack on major Saudi oil facility

Damn! Imagine how rotten things could have gotten if these guys had succeeded. Bet it’s not going to be the last attempt. Stupid bastards, why not take a run at it with an armoured car with puncture-proof tires? Fill the back with explosives and ka-boom. Or crash another airplane.

Jeez… it’s just too easy to break important links in the chain.

[quote=“Saudis ‘foil oil facility attack’”]

Saudi security forces have foiled an apparent suicide car bomb attack on a major oil production facility in the eastern town of Abqaiq.

Guards opened fire on at least two cars carrying explosives as they tried to ram the gates, Saudi officials said.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says the attack is the first direct assault on Saudi oil production.

The al-Qaeda network on the Arabian Peninsula has long called for attacks on Saudi oil installations.

Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Nuaimi said output at the facility, which handles about two-thirds of the country’s oil production, was unaffected by the attack.

Oil security analysts have estimated that a serious attack on the facility could halve Saudi exports for up to a year. [/quote]

What does Al Qaeda have to gain by attacking Saudi oil?

Anarchy. Chaos.

Anarchy. Chaos.[/quote]

Oh. So simple. Why didn’t I think of that?

No, really this time.

The regime isn’t propped up by popular support, but by oil dollars. Oil is also why American soldiers have been a part of the king’s body guard. Bin Laden started off hating the house of Saud, not the West. He blames the West, and America in particular, for supporting the Saudi regime.

Knock out the oil, knock out crucial pillars of support, down comes the regime.

*btw, this isn’t Michael Moore style, blow smoke up your ass spin. It’s simple truth, and should be fairly easy for you to verify. I encourage you to investigate it for yourself… you should understand what got the bastards started.

then what?

then what?[/quote]

People power?

Better yet, OBL comes back and whipping out his cult of personality becomes the ruler and king, which is what he wants anyway?

then what?[/quote]

People power?

Better yet, OBL comes back and whipping out his cult of personality becomes the ruler and king, which is what he wants anyway?[/quote]

Crap.Now I’m talking to myself too. :unamused:

I doubt it’d be people power.

I once had a poli-sci prof who was describing the history of political thought and structure in Europe. He equated Hitler’s early geo-political maneuvers as a gambit, the end of which see him established as a modern-day “Holy Roman Empiror.”

OBL has a fine historical sensibility and often invokes the glories of the caliphate. I’m sure that he sees himself as the first caliph of a newly united Islamic caliphate, stretching from Indonesian to Spain. Probably ruled by a strict version of shariah law, such as Taliban implemented. Probably riding roughshod over regional cultural differences, such as the Pashtuns did with the other peoples of Afghanistan.

Sorry, commonly known broadstrokes only. I have no idea how he could expect to overcome a host of chasms between Muslim communities, and I’m sure that Saudi Arabia (save for the holy sites and strategically significant oil fields) means little more to him than any other fragment of the caliphate.

Whatever. I’m more concerned with how much influence Iran is going to wield in the region now that Iraq’s no longer a check on it’s influence, and now that it’s agreed to fund the Hamas govenment.

Too bad we’re so hooked on oil. Broadly implement an alternative, let the price fall to $5 or $10/barrel, and a lot of these issues would very quickly sort out themselves.

[quote][quote=“Jaboney”]I doubt it’d be people power.
[/quote]

sheeple power??

[quote]Sorry, commonly known broadstrokes only. I have no idea how he could expect to overcome a host of chasms between Muslim communities, and I’m sure that Saudi Arabia (save for the holy sites and strategically significant oil fields) means little more to him than any other fragment of the caliphate.
[/quote]

I’m sure he’d follow the tried and true Saudi method: religious police who beat the shit out of people with sticks and or lock schoolgirls in burning buildings.

Havne’t they been funding Hamas for years anyway? What’s new?

[quote]
Too bad we’re so hooked on oil. Broadly implement an alternative, let the price fall to $5 or $10/barrel, and a lot of these issues would very quickly sort out themselves.[/quote][/quote]

Should I invest in Giant bikes?

Watch natural gas. We’re in the beginning stages of the nat gas boom. Canada should do well. Brazil uses 50 enthenol from sugar. Watch sugar prices.

Really though, making the Saudis poorer will only inflame the situation. Who do you think the rulers will blame? Uhm, America?

Damned
do
damned
don’t

Haven’t they been funding Hamas for years anyway? What’s new?[/quote]
Legitimacy. After the election, it’s now a democratically-elected government. That’s a whole other ball game.
Scope: in addition to bomb-making workshops, Hamas has been running charities, schools and hospitals for years. They didn’t win that election on resentment alone. Iran (along with others, including Israel) helped fund that. Now they have the chance to fund the skeletal civil service, and people are going to remember where their bread came from. It may not make a difference–didn’t make you folks any more popular in Gaza–but it’s a leg up.

Should I invest in Giant bikes?

Watch natural gas. We’re in the beginning stages of the nat gas boom. Canada should do well. Brazil uses 50 enthenol from sugar. Watch sugar prices.

Really though, making the Saudis poorer will only inflame the situation. Who do you think the rulers will blame? Uhm, America?[/quote]

Yes! You should invest in Giant bikes, you tubby so-and-so. At least one. Come on, get off your duff and come out for a ride. :wink:

Yeah, natural gas looks ready to explode. As things heat up, there’s going to be far, far, far more released from the tundra than we could ever capture… (after which the market in home heating fuel is likely to disappear). But producing fuel from edible crops, and plowing up more land to produce more crops for fuel is d-u-m-m, dumb on such a scale that one of the four horsemen ought to be named “John Deere”.

Will making the Saudis poorer make things worse? Better question is whether or not turning off the oil will make the Saudis poorer. Short and medium term, almost certainly. Long term, running out is probably the best thing that could happen for the Saudi people (screw the rulers). Bahrain ran out of oil and has had to shift it’s economy. The UAE is looking down the road to the end of oil revenues and investing like mad in alternative income sources, to a very, very good effect. The shitty thing about oil is that it generates virtually no capital. You stick a pipe in the ground, out comes the oil, run it through a few filters and distillations, pipe it to your port and it’s gone, leaving behind a few wheelbarrows full of cash and essentially no significant spin-off industries. More labour and capital intensive industries–like steel–create all sort of linkages and positive spin-offs–like the E.U. As it is, without programs to develop other industries, they aren’t developed, and there’s no positive linkages. Hell, the Arabs are constantly stabbing one another in the back because they don’t need one another, would be better off without one another, and only co-operate on oil so as to have the chance to be the first to undercut the others after driving up the price.

Lose the oil, and what industries does Saudi Arabia have left, a yearly influx of pilgrim tourists? What resources? There’s plenty of sand lying around for glass blowing, I suppose. They’d have to develop their human capital, which means services, outside linkages, an end to (or constraints on) xenophobia… oh, and they’d have to start leveling taxes. Which means pissed off tax-payers, therefore representation, therefore democracy, happier people, less resentment, and Osama bin Laden spinning in a grave he doesn’t deserve.

*I only know/ believe that because I argued to the contrary in a seminar on whether or not the Arabs could recreate something like the EU and had my ass handed to me.

OMGod jaboney, I thought I was a positivist!

THAT is the best spin you could ever put on chaos. :bravo:

Of course, you mean after the civil wars, tribal genocides, and terrorist insurgencies?

You da MAN jaboney!
:notworthy:

jdshitsyounot :wink:

Well, it’s somewhat sunny over here and my cold is in retreat. I’m in a good mood. jeez, one day you’re on me for my pessimism, the next for my positivism. :wink:

Ok, ok. So an alternative is a sudden collapse, millions on economic refugees flooding out of the country, civil war, regional spillover, an immediate recall of foreign investments to prop-up the failing regime (meaning a fire-sale on something like 5% of the US economy)…

So the sudden emergance of an immediately applicable alternative to oil would mean at least short-term chaos in the region. Given other concerns–particularly around security–it might be the best of the alternatives.

Besides, it’s working in places like Bahrain, UAE, and places that never had oil, like Jordan and Lebanon.

I just saw a list of the UAE donations to the suffering world on CNN (ugh). They’ve given 15 BILLION bucks to the Arab world in recent history. They gave 100 million bukcs to the USA for Katrina too.

Maybe it’s time for UAE thread. They do seem to be on the ball…(except for that banking the 911 terrorist thing…)

[quote]
Well, it’s somewhat sunny over here and my cold is in retreat. I’m in a good mood. jeez, one day you’re on me for my pessimism, the next for my positivism[/quote]

the MAN wrote:

[quote]
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)[/quote]

:smiley:

I, nutter, salute you, poetic sir.
:bow:

Now I’ve got me some windmills to chasten.

[quote=“Jaboney”]I, nutter, salute you, poetic sir.
:bow:

Now I’ve got me some windmills to chasten.

[/quote]

Nevermind, that cartoon insults my family my god and my culture.

jihad on YOU! :raspberry:

:wink:

Al Qaeda targeted Saudi oil because they believe the Saudi government is propping up the American economy with cheap oil and taking away that prop will hurt or destroy the U.S. economy.

This is news?

This is news?[/quote]

Well, you got me there but I didn’t see anyone mention it above and it’s the key reason Al Qaeda is targeting oil exports.

The Saudis export about 7-8 million barrels of oil per day. The U.S. imports 15 million per day. Disrupting Saudi oil exports would be like a knife in the heart of the American economy because the U.S. imports 1/4 of the world’s total daily production of oil and there’s little excess production capacity.

Do you mean to say that they will have to start leveeing taxes? The dictionary definition of a tax haven, nobody in Saudi Arabia pays taxes and everyone gets free healthcare.

However, the decline in inflation-adjusted per-capita income from 1980 to 1999 set a record. Per capita income has fallen from $25,000 in 1980 to $8,000 in 2003, up from about $7000 in 1999, being by far the worst such decline suffered by any nation-state in history. I think that the people who would be paying taxes in another nation are already quite unhappy with that.