Clouded leopard sighting

Seems phishy and unlikely, but if legit this would be amazing!

1 Like

Yes, no evidence right now though. Could it be a leopard cat ? Or a made up story to keep people out …

It’s a K-man article. Surely he did his due diligence in researching the validity of the story before “writing” about it! :whistle:

3 Likes

Might dust off the old crossbow, see if we can’t rustle up a little clouded leopard for the barbie…

1 Like

Maybe he’s mistaken it for the Snow Leopard thats prowling in Taipei…

4 Likes

My money is on the latter. There has been a lot of abroiginal areas closing down in recent years, even public roads. Ay least in the south…seems more likely to me. If its real then they are screwed as trapping is still far too common to be controlled. Logging is also very very bad in the southern tip sp it makes sense to stop it as they recently opened up a 3% cut rate on the main wood flooring species for taitung and pingtung…which is a truly bad idea.

I thought you were a Kiwi, not an Aussie!

Guy

He’s a bear, not a bird.

3 Likes

Some interesting considerations for those not so familiar with the south. Expect chinese culture/aboriginal culture to get more and more frustrated. This is why im very skeptical of the leopard sighting and how it will play out.

See this for a general idea on the 2 sides. I can personally confirm this problem having worked and lived in the region for years. Its right and wrong on both sides and i dont see a logical answer in sight.

1 Like

While it’s great that the Paiwan villagers of Alangyi are taking charge to protect their sacred animal, it is worrisome that they would reject the help of government agencies and preservation experts.

Ya seems far too phishy. Not saying anything on right or wrong, they certainly have legitimate reasons, but the folks there tend not to like other races that much. At least in the sense that they dont want intruders on their land. So it is perhaps: pictures or it didnt happen.

But its made rounds worldwide ao their story will be heard and no doubt their objective will likely be met.