Clubs in Taiwan that play electronica and the like

Hi there

Ill be heading over to Taiwan for my 3rd visit this Saturday for a 3 week stay

Now the 2 times that I visited before, I never got to check out the local night life as my girlfriend/partner assured me it was all far too dangerous and bad. My girlfriend is from Taiwan but seems to have lived a sheltered life in the Taichung area before coming to Australia

Anyhow this time I’m going out! and shes going to tag along with some of her friends

I’m from Australia and am quite fond of the club scene particularly when it comes to clubs that play electronica “techno, trance, house etc” Now it seems to me from my limited knowledge, that the majority of clubs in Taiwan are into hip hop and RnB. Now iv got nothing against that music style but its just not my scene. The last thing I want to do is fly all the way over and bump into a bunch of 50 cent wannabes

My girlfriend has told her friends that I’m keen to go out and it seems they are going to take me to a place called PASOUL. http://www.taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/nightlife/0805/0805Pasoul.htm Now from what i can see on the web page, is that this is a Hip Hop club that serves some cool drinks. Now Absinth doesn’t do anything for me apart from make my kidneys hurt the next day so thats not exactly a draw card for me

However I did notice a club called Red Carpet http://www.taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/nightlife/0804/0804RedCarpet.htmwhich according to the website has Hip Hop and electronica and this strange thing called all you can drink??

So my questions are

What are people thoughts on the 2 clubs?
What is this all you can drink thing? “i don’t want to wake up in hospital because the vodka i though i was drinking was break fluid…”
Has anyone got an idea how far away they are from each other? Because I’m not having much luck with google maps and would consider going to RC if PASOUL isn’t my cup of tea
Has anyone got any suggestions of other clubs/places to go that i might like?

Cheers

Stuart :bow:

come on guys, no one on forumosa goes out?

ltj bukem mate…luxy feb. 27…be there or be square

[quote=“180wanabe”]
So my questions are
What are people thoughts on the 2 clubs?
What is this all you can drink thing? “I don’t want to wake up in hospital because the vodka i though I was drinking was break fluid…”[/quote]
PASOUL is all you can drink. There’s no RSA here, so if its listed as all you can drink they;ll keep serving you all night. If you spew and it doesn’t land in the toilet bowl you need to give the cleaning lady 200NT though
PASOUL has 2 floors, both devoted to RnB. LUXY has a techno room but not sure if its that popular these days.

I’d google or fb DJ Andrew Ford and / or sinister sound sydnicate. I saw Dj Andrew Ford once and he mashed up some cut copy and midnight jugs on request, was pretty impressive. Marcus Aurelius is also pretty decent at mashups, so you might want to look him up too.
I don’t think there are many / any dedicated electro / trance places here, its more a matter of where the right dj is playing.

Probably not that much. Give taiwannights.com/ a try for your specific inquiry into the electronic scene. There used to be a sweet club called Cor that was quality every time I went there but it closed. I turned into a computer geek and live w/ my gf so knowledge of the scene has faded. :ponder:

I’ve heard good things about Pasoul and China White as there are sometimes special parties hosted there. I’d look out for those events as they’re organized by foreigners who will share the same taste in music as you do.

The all-you-can-drink places aren’t that great and the quality of alcohol is low, like brake fluid as you mentioned. :slight_smile:

Edit: just saw Cripster’s post so maybe the Pasoul is the place you wanna go.

Hey thanks for the responses guys :discodance:

how far away is LUXY from PASOUL ???

LUXY seems to be the big night club in Taiwan, and if they have a floor with some sort of techno then thats good enough for me. Maybe ill start @ PASOUL drink up there and then make my way to LUXY via the emergency room @ a local hospital if I have too much break fluid

Now what exactly are the drinks you can get @ the all you can drink places? like the lowest grade basic spirits/floor cleaner? eg Vodka, Bourbon, rum etc? beer?

According to the schedule my girl has made, we will be having our clubbing nite out on the Friday 13th of Feb so if anyone knows of anything in particular on that nite let me know

[quote=“180wanabe”]Hey thanks for the responses guys :discodance:

how far away is LUXY from PASOUL ??? [/quote]

they are about 100m away from each other, closest MRT is Zhongxiao Dunhua

They had heineken last time i was there and house spirits

Taxis are super cheap here too if you get stuck. There are also maps of the local areas at the MRT stations.

Room 18 has two sides to the club, hip hop and techno, similar to Luxy. 10 minutes from the aforementioned clubs, near the world trade center. Personally, I try and avoid all you can drink places… with mostly teenagers looking to stretch their limited alcohol budget, there is a lot of potential for ugliness

[quote=“crimpster”][quote=“180wanabe”]Hey thanks for the responses guys :discodance:

how far away is LUXY from PASOUL ??? [/quote]

they are about 100m away from each other, closest MRT is Zhongxiao Dunhua

They had heineken last time I was there and house spirits

Taxis are super cheap here too if you get stuck. There are also maps of the local areas at the MRT stations.[/quote]

Cheers crimpster

Great to hear that LUXY is only 100m away :thumbsup: That makes life a lot easier for me as now I have a better idea of how to plan the nite.

Also saves me the hunt for this Red Carpet place I saw on Taiwan fun, but still if anyone knows if its in the local area around LUXY and PASOUL post up and let me know!

as far as house spirits go is rum a house spirit in Taiwan?

Main reason I’m keen to try out the all you can drink is because it’s something I’ve never come across before. Not to mention it will save me some $$$ as I usually drink before I go out anyway.

I think that with so many Australians being heavy drinkers that if a pub or club offered all you can drink they would go broke. Not to mention that the government would never allow it to happen as there are enough problems caused by alcohol abuse as it is without adding fuel to the fire so to speak

Part of the reason I’m also keen to steer clear of the RnB / Hip hop and stick with the Techno is because generally “down here” there is a lot more ugliness around the RnB/Hip hop places thanks to big egos and small brains wanting to be a baddass gangster. Where as normally the worst thing that will happen @ the techno venue is your going to get hugged by some random whose mind is else where thanks to cretin chemicals that they have taken earlier on… :rainbow:

Cheers

Stuart

[quote=“180wanabe”]Main reason I’m keen to try out the all you can drink is because it’s something I’ve never come across before. Not to mention it will save me some $$$ as I usually drink before I go out anyway.

I think that with so many Australians being heavy drinkers that if a pub or club offered all you can drink they would go broke. Not to mention that the government would never allow it to happen as there are enough problems caused by alcohol abuse as it is without adding fuel to the fire so to speak[/quote]

Try one out and see how you like it. If they filled one up here with aussies they would go broke. Last time i went to one it opened and 10 and by 10:45 there was already a guy ralphing all over the urinals.

people are much more laid back here. Just don’t rub any locals up the wrong way and you’ll be sweet.

As for rum get your bundy fix before you head over here as its only available in a few bars. By about my 6th canadian club i can’t tell the difference anyway so you might give that a shot.

Bundy would have to be my least favourite of all rums! although I still drink it when i go out, only cus its cheep the house rum

I was hoping that there might be some other rum over there. As for CC I quite like that and would be stoked if that was on the all you can drink menu!

Cheers again for your help crimpster

Pasoul does have a reputation of being one of the dodgiest clubs in Taipei; if you behave you should be fine, but it’s easy to get into trouble if you don’t.

If music is the main thing, the Luxy techno room is your best bet. The music there ranges from good to great, depending on the DJ. Main drawback is the fact that it’s usually comparatively empty in there. Room18 has a similar room division but the techno room there feels more like an ‘antechambre’ to the hip hop room - just a place people pass through (which they have to).

The all you can drink thing in Taipei means the following: you pay at the door, get a ticket, change it for a drink at the bar, and then you hold on to your glass/can/bottle and change it for a new drink at the bar when you finish it. If you lose your drink, you lose your money. You don’t get a stamp or anything. The drinks are of piss-poor quality, there is at times a long line at the bar, and the people that frequent these places are what you would expect them to be, in general.

By the way, this Red Carpet place you talk about is named ‘Rank’ these days (what a name). It’s not too far from Pasoul either, and indeed, it does have two rooms, one being techno/house music. When I was there, the music was great but the people stood there like they were watching a Beijing opera. No dancing. Weird. Great potential though.

Why don’t you rather stay at home and watch a re-run of the thrashing the Saffers gave the Ausies in the last cricket series instead of wasting money at crap half-assed Taiwan wannabe nightclubs? Truly, mate, all you will hear is horrible R&B and Hip-Hop.

[quote=“Ah Q”]Pasoul does have a reputation of being one of the dodgiest clubs in Taipei; if you behave you should be fine, but it’s easy to get into trouble if you don’t.

The all you can drink thing in Taipei means the following: you pay at the door, get a ticket, change it for a drink at the bar, and then you hold on to your glass/can/bottle and change it for a new drink at the bar when you finish it. If you lose your drink, you lose your money. You don’t get a stamp or anything. The drinks are of piss-poor quality, there is at times a long line at the bar, and the people that frequent these places are what you would expect them to be, in general.

By the way, this Red Carpet place you talk about is named ‘Rank’ these days (what a name). It’s not too far from Pasoul either, and indeed, it does have two rooms, one being techno/house music. When I was there, the music was great but the people stood there like they were watching a Beijing opera. No dancing. Weird. Great potential though.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on Pasoul, one of my girls sisters friends knows someone there which is why we are going there… As far as behaving myself I keep my hands to myself, but I do tend to get a bit chatty after a few drinks and enjoy taking to randoms and meeting new people. Although considering I only speak English i doubt I’m going to have many conversations lol

Ill also make sure I hold onto my ticket/glass or whatever when I do the all you can drink, seriously I’m not expecting anything top shelf, I’m doing this more for the fact that I can tell people back home that although the drinks are of questionable quality it was still all you can drink. I might ask for double or triple shots if the line is going to be super huge… call it time management and liver/brain punishment

As for Red carpet “rank” any idea how far away it is from Pasoul? I think I read that it was in a basement somewhere and not that easy to find, could always ask a local I guess. If people are just standing around inside and not on the dance floor they might just need a bit of encouragement

Unfortunately iv been told I cant stay out 2 late cus I have to catch a bus @ 9am in the morning to go on some day tip my girl planned for us, so looks like ill only be able to check out 2 clubs max. I might be able to head out again on Sat nite if I bribe one of my girls sisters friends who apparently goes out a fair bit, but if it all seems piss poor I might make the pass

eww cricket, I’d sooner watch paint dry or play lawn bowls. No idea what its so popular down here, i just don’t get it :unamused:

once again the half assed night clubs are more just a thing that i can say that iv been there don’t that thrown up over there kind of thing. Also considering that I am unfortunately living in Townsville @ the moment, compared to what’s on offer where I live. It can’t be that bad…

[quote=“180wanabe”]

I think that with so many Australians being heavy drinkers that if a pub or club offered all you can drink they would go broke. [/quote]
Yeah the first time I heard of this all-you-can-drink thing I was shocked and took full advantage of it. Except due to my experiences there I’m pretty damn grateful that aussie bartenders all have to have rsa certificates =P

http://www.luxy-taipei.com/events/20090227/