CNN: Hong Kong King of Rude

Interesting little video here… is the west just realizing what inconsiderate pricks people in Asian countries are?

cnn.com/video/partners/click … deness.cnn

if mens were looking back to see if they need to hold the door,she would have renamed her report “perverts in hong kong staring at my huge knockers”

there’s just no winning with women

I don’t know why Hong Kong is being singled out?

What about Taiwan, Macau and China?

[quote=“AAF”]I don’t know why Hong Kong is being singled out?

What about Taiwan, Macau and China?[/quote]

Probably because people have heard of Hong Kong… who the hell wonders what goes on in Taiwan or Macau?

Why are is there A Cheap News Network report on how ‘rude’ people are in HK?Come on, there are pricks everywhere. So, the westerens don’t get treated like they would in their own countries. Well, News flash=you aren’t in YOUR country.

HK is a small area with over-what?- 6,000,000 people? Is everyone suppose to get along? Give me a break. I liked HK before China came over. It was overpopulated but it had it’s own flavor. Go to the US, you think that people are ‘poliet’ there? Customer service last time I was in the US was utter shite and it was being excuted by people with less than an H.S. diploma. :loco: People are stressed now and days. Everyone has a bill to pay, someone to please, there are no ‘curtaries’(sp) in the world now. You want people to be ‘polite’ then plant the seed of ‘politeness’.

Peace

Well Nama, I’m willing to take your word for it, after all I’ve never been to the US and the Americans I meet outside their country always seem especially polite. Still, I do feel HK has areshole down to a uniquely satisfaction drawing, mass hobby.

I’ve never seen so many rude pricks concentrated in such elbow shoving proximity or felt like slapping quite so many people around the topside (I like American slang).

They smirk when you comment on how rude the people are. They actually pride themselves on being pricks! And to top that, they do have a bone to pick with whitey.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well Nama, I’m willing to take your word for it, after all I’ve never been to the US and the Americans I meet outside their country always seem especially polite. Still, I do feel HK has areshole down to a uniquely satisfaction drawing, mass hobby.

I’ve never seen so many rude pricks concentrated in such elbow shoving proximity or felt like slapping quite so many people around the topside (I like American slang).

They smirk when you comment on how rude the people are. They actually pride themselves on being pricks! And to top that, they do have a bone to pick with whitey.

HG[/quote]

So what, when I go thru immigration i have bone to pick with “whitey” also. Sorry, if that offends but the pricks runnin immigration are pricks. THe US from an American point of view is going down hill. I guess I need more threapy… :loco:

I think it’s a population density thing. Hong Kong, New York, Paris and Taipei are just so crowded. You end up fighting for space, parking spaces, driving space, space in lines – it just breeds rudeness. I don’t believe it’s all the people, and I don’t believe it’s innate.

[quote=“Namahottie”]
So what, when I go through immigration I have bone to pick with “whitey” also. Sorry, if that offends but the pricks runnin immigration are pricks. THe US from an American point of view is going down hill. I guess I need more threapy… :loco:[/quote]

What is “threapy”. I checked it in the Oxford.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well Nama, I’m willing to take your word for it, after all I’ve never been to the US and the Americans I meet outside their country always seem especially polite. Still, I do feel HK has areshole down to a uniquely satisfaction drawing, mass hobby.

HG[/quote]

I couldn’t get to see the video for some reason. HK people are rude, eh?

“A bone to pick with whitey”? WTF does that mean? What just because they’re yellow and their great grandfather came to Hong Kong naked and toothless in the 1940s without a penny from 3,000 miles into the interior of China because one set of Chinese people was murdering another set of Chinese people someone’s got a problem with whitey? Doubt it. Chinese peoples are far to busy hating each other to notice whitey. Anyway, whitey was all alone with brownie (Sikhs from India) wondering what the hell to do with 500 fishermen and a rock before yellowy started flooding down to the colony precisely because it was run by whitey and not other yellowies.

Ah, they’ve always been a wee bit insecure over there in HK, and can you blame them? China gave a rock away, but it was so worthless the English bloke who negotiated getting it from the Chinese was sacked. Then it turned out their own country run by their own people was such a clusterfuck they had to flee down to the rock and throw themselves at the mercy of “whitey” and live on “a barren rock with hardly a house upon it”. Luckily whitey allowed them to conduct their business with sufficient freedom to allow them to get rich and look down their noses at everyone around them, whilst complaining of being oppressed by the very fucking hand that fed them in the first place and oh isn’t China great and aren’t we all Chinese together when it fucking suits us. Then, 1989. Oh shit, now we’re not Chinese at one with the great Motherland after all, we want to be “HK-ese” or some such nonsense. And what!!!? Those Gweilo bastards won’t give us the full British citizenship/political participation we never asked for until June 7th 1989!!?? Bastards! I’d rather have been murdered by the Communists in '49! At least they were Chinese! And so on and so forth. Yawn.

That would explain why people are becoming ruder in general as the world population continues to grow exponentially. I suppose if you have to share the same amount of space with a few thousand people as one nuclear family has in a small town or suburb, then you might be a little less than friendly. Isn’t the saying “Two’s company, three million’s enough to make you go postal.” If the average town of 1,000 people has 10 rude people in it, then the average city of 1 million has at least 10,000 of them. And a Hong Kong with a population of almost 7 million people means they have at least 70,000 assholes wandering the streets. If the population density is 16,500 people per square mile, there’s a chance there are a few jerks who live in your neighborhood.

Anyway, all joking aside, maybe more crime happens in cities, not so much because of the anonymity, but because of the sheer volume of people who quickly become hostile when their territory is encroached upon…which it most certainly is when it’s being shared with thousands of people.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I think it’s a population density thing. Hong Kong, New York, Paris and Taipei are just so crowded. You end up fighting for space, parking spaces, driving space, space in lines – it just breeds rudeness. I don’t believe it’s all the people, and I don’t believe it’s innate.[/quote]Please explain the Japanese city dwellers’ ability to remain polite in the middle of the crush. Crowding is an excuse for rude behaviour, not a reason in and of itself.
BTW, I don’t find Parisians particularly rude. No more than French from other parts of the country anyway.

I tell ya, it’s always interesting visiting HK with a Taiwanese, they generally can not believe how rude people are here.

It means China is in the ascendant and whitey’s goin’ down. If you think about it, HK was by and large populated by those fleeing unpleasantries, the people still swing whichever way the wind blows.

BTW, when people in HK apologise, they invariably say “sorry”, that’s because apologising is a totally alien concept and thus requires an alien language. There is a Canto version for sorry, but you almost never hear it unless somebody is desperately trying to worm their way out of a situation.

HG

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060620/us_ … iteness_dc

[quote]
New York, despite a reputation as a fast-moving, tough-talking town, ranked as the world’s most polite major city, according to a survey released on Tuesday.[/quote]

That seemed to suprise the New Yorkers the most :slight_smile:

[quote]“People said they were polite because they had been brought up to be that way,” he said.

The study is published in Reader’s Digest’s July issue of its 50 editions worldwide. [/quote]

That’s why you need lines marking the queing area on the Taipei MRT stations.

Hmm, have lived in London and HK and spent 6 weeks on assignment in Tokyo. Japanese politeness is all about face and is mostly feigned so cannot be used as a yardstick. Londoners just ignore everything and everyone, whilst in HK there is a definite plus to being rude…jump the queue, push people out of the way, talk loudly on your phone in the middle of themovie theatre etc…you almost have to do it to get by…=-)

Oh HK was handed over in 97 btw.

I don’t think Taipei is particularly crowded or rude compared to the big 3 mentioned above. There is a tendency to try and queue jump and people drive attrociously but that is probably more of a training issue on both counts.

They say Peru has a real problem with rudeness. Look at these two women fighting for the right to walk on the paved road.

Also notice the way the San men are not speaking to each other because of their high-stress environment.

Look at the lack of bonhomie in Australia.

It has been shown that the stress levels in rural China are so extreme that people often contemplate not brushing teeth for weeks on end.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]swing whichever way the wind blows.

BTW, when people in HK apologise, they invariably say “sorry”, that’s because apologising is a totally alien concept and thus requires an alien language. There is a Canto version for sorry, but you almost never hear it unless somebody is desperately trying to worm their way out of a situation.

HG[/quote]

You just understand Canto culture. :wink:

When in Rome… Adopt the Oblivious Gweilo demeanour and it all starts to make (non)sense.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Japanese politeness is all about face and is mostly feigned so cannot be used as a yardstick.[/quote]I really don’t care if it’s sincere or not if it makes daily life less unpleasant. When it comes down to it, most politeness is phony anway, whoever is practicing it. The Japanese most certainly do not have a monopoly on this.

please delete me
let me go

Agree. As Churchill said about the flowery nature of the declaration of war on Japan: “When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.”