CNY bonus from a Buxiban

… is this a standard thing? Last year I got a couple of hundred dollars in a red packet. I have asked friends who also didn’t receive more than a few hundred.

My girlfriend (Taiwanese) is telling me that I should feel free to just walk out and find a new job if I don’t get a decent bonus this year. But she absolutely hates my boss and is very pro me finding a different job anyway.

I’m just interested to know if I’m being unusually screwed over here? Or whether Buxiban teachers generally don’t get the same bonuses given in other companies?

A couple hundred NTD is a slap in the face. Was it NTD or USD?

1 month salary is the basic minimum for Taiwanese.

If you are not Taiwanese, then they don’t feel obligated to pay a CNY bonus. Some do, most don’t.

5 Likes

You’ll get a pack of CNY cookies.

7 Likes

I haven’t ever received a monetary bonus from a cram school. I have received hot potato boxes of whatever the owner didn’t want that the parents gave them, though.

5 Likes

I worked at one school that gave a whole month’s pay and my current school usually gives me $10,000, which isn’t anywhere near a whole month’s pay, but it’s much better than a few hundred.

None of the kindergartens I’ve worked in ever gave more than a few thousand even though they were huge money makers.

It’s was NTD. But I’m not Taiwanese, so I guess they don’t feel obligated to keep to any kind of cultural norm.

Seems like you’ve figured out how to find the more generous Buxiban bosses. What’s the secret?

Mine gives me food I have told them I don’t want multiple times (they don’t understand what vegan is or give me excessive/wasteful amounts). Best of luck :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Leave the bad ones. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Why does your gf even know your boss? :ponder:

2 Likes

You never had weiya or dinners with your bosses? I used to play Xbox or basketball with my boss’s kids on the weekends and it was always a family affair.

1 Like

I was the boss. I don’t recall spouses or gf being invited to the weiya.

1 Like

My kindy didn’t allow family but bushiban does.
I let family go to my school’s weiya too, but we only have a handful of employees anyways.

I guess my point really was why does the gf get a vote? :laughing:

2 Likes

You’re lucky if the wife isn’t always the real boss. :joy:

I agree that a few hundred is insulting

I swear I saw somewhere in the LSA that employers are required (by law) to share their profits from the year before with all employees who have worked there for at least a year.

Whatever they can get away with culturally and without loss of face. Taiwanese know and expect CNY bonus but many Taiwanese bosses also know that foreigners aren’t very familiar with this. If they can get away without paying out anything they will.

2 Likes

Next time your boss gives you meat products I will be happy to dispose of them for you.

1 Like

:money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

The buxiban I worked at for 12 years (not a chain) gave an annual “completion bonus” of $15,000nt to the teachers (this was written in the contract). I know the Taiwanese staff got a CNY bonus but I wasn’t privy to the amount. There was also an annual weiya (sometimes it was a Christmas party) with pretty good food and always some kind of money raffle with prizes ranging from 600 to 8,000nt.

However, when the buxiban was sold to new owners quite a number of students were lost so the bonuses and weiyas disappeared. They finally went out of business two years later in mid 2020, which actually was the best thing that ever happened to me as now I work independently and earn the same amount and teach far fewer hours (I feel semi-retired).

Anyway, I thought the extras were fair enough and seem to be better than some other buxibans, judging by this thread.

4 Likes