CNY Sanxia ... 'Fat' pig religious festival

Yesterday, CNY day 6, Sanxia had it’s annual ‘fat’ pig festival … the crowd was just, well, huge … by times too much in fact … anyways, here’s an impression of the festival that takes place on the square in front of Tzushi temple …

To be more impressive to display the pigs are stretched over a stainless steel frame …

CF was there too, we spent the afternoon exploring some of Sanxia … had a good time …

The #1 … weighing in at an impressive 1,480 Taiwan Jin … about 700-800 kg … 1,600 lbs

Do you know any of the religious background of the pig fest? Nobody at my workplace could give me a straight answer about why it happens.

[quote=“superemma”]Do you know any of the religious background of the pig fest? Nobody at my workplace could give me a straight answer about why it happens.[/quote]Based on animal abuse. And the pig that sufferes the most before being slaughterd wins its owner a big prize. Fantastic tradition that sould be protected, and good to see that animal cruelty also makes a good family day out. :bravo:

I have no idea as I never found anything in English about the tradition … there should be chinese texts on this festival, but that’s beyond me … maybe it originated to celibrate the pig after a famine or something … or to feed the gods and ancestors in the afterworld when celebrating CNY …

Emma … I found this on the internet …

[quote]Today in Taiwan, farm communities hold competitions to see who can raise the fattest pig for temple celebrations honoring the King of Heaven’s birthday, which is on the ninth day of the new lunar year.

According to folk belief, an enormous hog is the most worthy offering to the gods. Farmers thus go out of their way to beef up the beast as much as possible before festival day. Such ceremonial pigs sometimes weigh more than 1,300 pounds, making for a very auspicious gift.

Although the pig may have suffered a bad rap in centuries past, today's scientists point out that swine are actually very active and intelligent animals that benefit society in many ways.

[/quote]

It’s from Taiwan Journal

Thanks, Belgian! That does a lot to clear it up for me. I saw the pigs briefly from my apartment window when they were driving them all over town and banging gongs, but all I could tell was that there were a group of large black and white round objects driving around. Didn’t register as pigs to me. All I can say now is yecch.

I don’t nessecarely agree with the way the pigs are treated … I just document what’s going on around us …