CNY suggestions for Feb 2-8 in Taiwan

Im an expat with a whole week off from working. Couldnt afford to travel since its so close to the 2 weeks I just had off so I figured I would try to see more of Taiwan. I live in Hsinchu and have a car to get around.

Any suggestions for day trips would be great. Also any idea what is open or closed in Taipei during that week and what days?

thanks

What are your interests as far as traveling in Taiwan?

Nature/Scenery? Cities? Food? Culture?

The cities are usually pretty dead during CNY as everyone heads to grandma’s house in the country. And of course, that means all the tourist spots near grandma’s house in the country are gonna be pretty slammed.

Still, its not that bad if you consider ahead of time the scarce parking and occasional heavy traffic you will encounter. We always go play anyway when we go down to Yunlin for the holiday.

Just avoid really popular places that are really easy to get to from big cities (like Jiji, Sun Moon Lake, Meinong etc.). They are always a disaster.

Word. I just heard on the wireless this morning an interview with the administrator dude at Sun Moon Lake. They got parking for 8,000 cars up there, yet he was saying you should get there early. Can you even BEGIN to imagine how fecking HORRIBLE it will be there, even if you manage to park the car? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Word. I just heard on the wireless this morning an interview with the administrator dude at Sun Moon Lake. They got parking for 8,000 cars up there, yet he was saying you should get there early. Can you even BEGIN to imagine how fecking HORRIBLE it will be there, even if you manage to park the car? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

Sun Moon Lake is only worth visiting on non-holiday weekdays. Period. And even then, although its a pleasant enough place to stroll and putt around on a moto, I think there are a lot better places to spend one’s time in Taiwan. But yeah, its going to be sheer madness over CNY.

You know, I would avoid pretty much anywhere in Nantou during CNY. Shitoushan/Shanlinxi, Chingjing, Jiji (dont get me started on that hell hole - I couldnt even drive my motorcyle through it two CNY’s ago) are all pretty terrible that week.

We might head out to Dongpu at some point to take a peek at Yushan and have some hotsprings. I cant imagine too many people will head out that far (although you never know in Taiwan). We’re also gonna give Aowanda and Sandimen/Dona areas a try.