CNY Survival

Wow - F**k!
It’s basically day one and I’m already freakin bored and dreading the rest of the CNY holiday.

I know I have to shoot myself in the head for feeling like this and being in this situation and not having dealt with it (i.e. booked a holiday) beforehand.

My plan was to stay at home and take day trips by bike into the various places around here that I haven’t had the chance to get out into. I’d go but I reckon there will be nowhere to stay at this time…

Help?

Trubad.

Look at it as a time to catch up with friends, cook at home and catch up on reading. If you want to go somewhere, of course you will find vacancies. Just expect the usual new year surcharges.

Do your bike trips, but just make them day trips: return to your place at night. Or bring a tent and camping gear if you can. Get together with friends in the area. Read a good book. Use the free time to work on any personal projects or hobbies you’ve been unable to do because of work. Clean your apartment. Organize your stuff. Go for a hike in the woods or mountains in your area. Watch movies. Spend time online.

What I wouldn’t give for a week alone with no obligations. The things I could accomplish!

Taipei can be very boring during CNY if you are a newbie or don’t have Taiwanese friends/family, in which case you go to Thailand. I used to go down to Ken Ding (not quite Thailand). Now i just get drunk with the in-laws.

Get a hobby!

I’ve got a crate of whisky, ten cartons of cigarettes, two new xBox games and a new heater. I’ve got The Bad Seeds blaring on the stereo. And in keeping with my CNY tradition, I’m going to start 20 inane threads in the Temporary Forum. What’s not to love about this time of year?

Can’t wait to see the inane threads Jimi. I plan on getting as far as I can through several Grand Theft Auto games over the week :slight_smile: .

Can’t wait to see the inane threads Jimi. I plan on getting as far as I can through several Grand Theft Auto games over the week :slight_smile: .[/quote]
Man, I’ve played all of the GTAs, but really not my thing. That damn car is too hard to drive! I’m loving Halo - Reach and Mass Effect 2 at the moment! :thumbsup:

I think the OP wants advice on bike trips, not xBox games!

Well then he/she should have titled the thread “Bike Trips For CNY Survival”.

lovin’ the tips guys!

I don’t have an xbox but I do have a crappy looking room and a few neglected hobbies. I just got to break down the time somehow! Tomorrow - I’ll get a tripod as I’ve been meaning to do some night photography, next day I’ve got a new route to try on my bike!

great to know y’all out there!

Buy a good tripod. Spend more than you think you’ll need and it’ll last you for life. If you buy a cheap one, you’ll probably have to buy another in a year or two.

At last a kindred soul who has the same problem I have. That damn camera should stay locked behind the car at all times :snooty: .

I played one of them, couldn’t figure out what I was meant to do and kept getting arrested.

For me it’ll be a combo of polishing off a bottle of KWV brandy I bought at duty free in Johannesburg, some biking/hiking - find some new trails, showing some pretty young tourist girls around town and a little bit of work. Might do a couple of pub crawls too.

Also, since I bought back 15kgs in herbs, spices and sauces I figure I’ll be cooking a bit too.

At last a kindred soul who has the same problem I have. That damn camera should stay locked behind the car at all times :snooty: .[/quote]

You guys are crazy, you’ve pretty much written off one of the greatest games series ever, basically because you have to break for corners? As it happens my Chinese new year is going along the lines of beer and xbox, game of choice - Dragonage Origins. Gotta love a good RPG for wasting time/life.

I loved that one! I’ve got the latest Final Fantasy, but, hell, you need to be a rocket scientist to navigate the battle menu.

I loved that one! I’ve got the latest Final Fantasy, but, hell, you need to be a rocket scientist to navigate the battle menu.[/quote]

Yea, really enjoying it so far, apparently it’s made by the same team as the Baldur’s Gate games, so it was bound to be a classic really. I haven’t got round to the new final fantasy yet, but I’ve heard some dodgy stuff about the battle menus, is it really that bad? I was planning on picking it up at some point, final fantasy 7 is probably in my ‘top 5 games ever list’. Just reading this back, this is totally off topic, sorry.

I always used to wish that CNY lasted a month, as it’s ideal for some downtime, as in the old song about “wasting the hours in an off-hand way…”
An extended period of sloth is always soulful sustenance.

[quote] always used to wish that CNY lasted a month, as it’s ideal for some downtime, as in the old song about “wasting the hours in an off-hand way…”
An extended period of sloth is always soulful sustenance.
[/quote]
This week wraps up my two month paid vacation. I love it!