Coca Cola could leave Taiwan

I like Hey Soong Sarsparilla and I also like the knock-off stuff. It’s admittedly an acquired taste as I definitely didn’t like it at first.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Hokwongwei”]
It’s awful. It’s like root beer (which I love), with all the goodness taken out and a strange medicinal (sort of 中藥) flavor added in. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

funny, my friend from Israel loved it.[/quote]

Hey now, are you implying all Jews are the same? :fume:

[quote=“Hokwongwei”][quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Hokwongwei”]
It’s awful. It’s like root beer (which I love), with all the goodness taken out and a strange medicinal (sort of 中藥) flavor added in. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

funny, my friend from Israel loved it.[/quote]

Hey now, are you implying all Jews are the same? :fume:[/quote]

NO, he is saying it because it runs a few NT cheaper than Coke or Pepsi products.

OOHHHH!

EEEHHHH!

OOHHHH!

hey man, watch what you say.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]

no, it’s just interesting how people from the US tends to dislike Sarsi, so I’m actually saying all Americans are the same.

I quite like sarsaparilla. My favourite, though, is the stuff like Irn-Bru called “P”. I like it because it’s called “P”, and it’s yellow. It makes me giggle. It’s probably full of illegal chemicals, so I only drink it, like, once a year.

Just a few examples where it’s doing the most damage to people’s health and local economies. People love it because (a) it’s addictive, even without the cocaine and (b) Coca-Cola get preferential access to the best water sources, so people in (say) Mexico know they can drink it without getting ill.

Laohu Yazi…come to the dark side.

I quite like sarsaparilla. My favourite, though, is the stuff like Irn-Bru called “P”. I like it because it’s called “P”, and it’s yellow. It makes me giggle. It’s probably full of illegal chemicals, so I only drink it, like, once a year.
[/quote]

I’ve heard people refer to Apple cider as “a-pô–á liō” meaning Grandma’s pee. I guess because the first few syllables approximates Apple.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Hokwongwei”]

no, it’s just interesting how people from the US tends to dislike Sarsi, so I’m actually saying all Americans are the same.[/quote]

I hate Sarsi. Which kinda makes me American by your logic thingy. Or maybe I only think that because Coke already damaged by cerebral functions. Love the chemical Zero stuff.
Never gave me black feet, so it can’t be that bad.

Just a few examples where it’s doing the most damage to people’s health and local economies. People love it because (a) it’s addictive, even without the cocaine and (b) Coca-Cola get preferential access to the best water sources, so people in (say) Mexico know they can drink it without getting ill.[/quote]

No i think its a lemonade type and they botched up the taste. Ive never liked Irn Bru or Doctor Pepper is that what you mean? I didnt mind Dandelion and Burdock though.

I gave Doctor Pepper many tries, never liked it either… though the taste of AW root beer grew on me, but that might just be a side-effect of being addicted to Star Trek DS9.

I can get Hey Song Sarsaparilla here at the 99 ranch market. Its OK, i dont crave the thing.

What I do miss is the Hey Song knock off of 7 UP< in the green can. That stuff is GREAT .

Apple Sidra I can also get at 99 ranch but again im not missin that drink.

I do sometimes miss the Vitali soft drink that is yellow, supposedly from the Vitamin B added. IS that the P drink mentioned? That stuff is pretty good.

Which hey song Sarsparilla you talking about? They got salty, sugary and non sugar. The salty one I’ll drink on rare occasions, but of course they are all pretty bad for you,
Pretty much all the drinks 7-11 sell are ‘bad’ for you except the water, sugar and salt purveyors extraordinaire.

I agree with the listing of all manufacturers and substances, transparency is needed here.

Whenever I’m back in England, I always hit the D&B pretty hard. Fentiman’s fer posh!

Don’t usually bother with fizzy stuff though. Makes me burp and hiccup. With all the juice and tea in Asia, what’s the point?

[quote=“hansioux”]on a side note, assume there is no coke in Taiwan, how do most people here feel about HeySong Sarsaparilla (黑松沙士)?

[/quote]
Medicinal puke.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

[quote=“Icon”]If they do not ask that of their fake milk drinks, fake tea drinks, and not even fake vitamins and… I can’t make such a long list of things, why do they take it against Coca cola?! I mean, of all international brands, they had to pick one of the most profitable, worldwide ones? If Coca cola leaves, what will that say about Taiwan’s image? Not even Cuba, por Dios…

And yes, I am addicted to the stuff…[/quote]
Because every company no matter how big has to abide by the rules, any rules … they didn’t say coca-cola has to leave, it would’ve been coke’s own decision, says something about the coca cola company.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

[quote=“Icon”]Oh, Margot! the ruling also affects Costco!

[quote]For example, Costco’s Kirkland does not have to reveal the manufacturers of its products to the public, Chang said, noting that according to trade secret norms, the company cannot tell the public which manufacturers signed a contract with it.

Chang said however, if Costco has to “survive” in Taiwan, then it must follow the MHW’s regulation, “but I’ve been told that they said they could make it.” She further noted that not just Costco, Uni-President Group and Kuang-chuan Co. also face the same issue.
[/quote]

Coca Cola I can survive without, no Costco no cheese no lingerie…

Why,oh why!

[/quote]
They could take full responsibility as manufacturer even though they are not the physical manufacturer of the product.

Then why local companies do get away with it? One thing the food scandal taught us was that whatever is written on the labels is done with artistic liberties. Natural flavors my foot, artificial flavors non specified, etc. If it made us safer OK, but from previous experience we may say this is just protectionism. Blocking organic imports goes along in this batch.

Currently, there seems to be an agreement that the imported stuff is OK, so Coca cola will probably become more expensive as components or all will be imported. Interesting as a few months ago it was found out that Coca Cola Taiwan had actually tweaked with the formula. sigh Well, no biggie, if I recall correctly, in the ol country the main components are also imported.

The one in bigger trouble now is Costco and Kirkland brands. Those really could face a stop as soon as June. Now that is a tragedy.

Quite possible. The drinks industry is massive here, and they’ve probably taken a bit of a drubbing because of recent revelations. I wonder if Coke have seen a big jump in sales, and quiet words have been exchanged with the right people?

Coke is all imported. Their business model is to use bottling plants which dilute the syrup. The syrup is mostly made in Ireland, I believe, and then exported all over the world. It’s quite cost-effective to do this because a litre of Coke only contains a couple of cc’s of syrup (the rest is sugar and water), and it also allows Coke (as a business entity) to dissociate themselves from the illegal activities or bad practices of local bottlers (happens quite often).

I don’t think coke is so bad and the international scale of ‘evil’ businesses.
There are thousands of companies that sell the same type of sugary crap with less regulation and scrutiny.

Protectionism here is certainly a possibility, the organic block was very suspicious indeed.

No, they’re far from THE worst, in the grand scheme of things - they’re just one of the biggest, which means that they tend to cause ripple effects simply by existing. For example, if there wasn’t such a vast demand for sugar from Coke, there would be far less land being used for sugar cane, which is a deeply unprofitable crop. Anyway, just saying it’d be no great loss to Taiwan if they left, but I doubt they will. Big companies usually come to some arrangement with TPTB. Bet you a bottle of Coke they’ll still be around this time next year.